PDA

View Full Version : Blue carpet advise

manu
02/21/2002, 01:17 PM
Hi,
Last week I took home a very nice blue carpet anemone, since I put it on the tank I notice a strange behavior that I think is stress

Sometimes is open not fully but looks ok.
sometimes looks very shrunk, then back to normal.
sometimes it has "the mouth" very open, minutes later normal again.
I have tried to feed with shrimp but at this moment with no luck.

The carpet has been moving around a small area since last week, always attached to rocks, is this an acclimation process? my water levels are normal I have 250 MH bulbs for lightning, do you think maybe is the lightning ? what can I do to reduce this stress?

manu
02/21/2002, 05:09 PM
not to good :(

manu
02/21/2002, 05:21 PM
picture

Pinkskunk
02/21/2002, 11:15 PM
42 visitors and no one have any input?

First, leave it alone.
second, is his foot now burry in the sand? or continue to move around? If he is still moving, he has not found a comfort spot. Try to move him to a different location in the tank. If the spot he is in now has moderate to high current, you might want to reduce that.
third, stop trying to feed him. if your first few attempts is unsuccesfull, stop feeding for a few days.
lastly, try to make a rock work so that there is a cave where he can hide and burry his foot. If he insisted on not burry his foot for a few more days. I hate to say but he will most likely not make it. It is so important that he found a spot where he can burry his foot.

Wish you best of luck. He is truely a beautiful animal.

GregD
02/22/2002, 06:14 PM
I also would suggest you try adjusting the current of the water near the anemone.

I have a carpet anemone that behaves similarly when a nearby powerhead comes un-suctioned from the glass and points upwards and away from the direction of the anemone.
In my case the anemone seems to prefer more turbulence in the water near him (but not directed at him).

I suspect yours has found a spot it likes, but may not have the optimum current yet. Try adjusting the currrents (if possible) up and down to see if you get better results. The results aren't immediate so you will need to adjust...then check back in an hour or so to see the results.

Hope this helps!
Greg D

pooreefer
02/22/2002, 07:20 PM
This might be kinda off the subject but is it true that carpets digest themselves when they're stressed and not eating?

manu
02/22/2002, 11:02 PM
Hi all,Thanks for your advise, today I was on a bussines trip and I return late, I have my tank in my office but yesterday I switch off one of the three MH bulbs, the one on top of the animal incase that it is too much light for him, I will follow your advises.

Pinkskunk, yes the animal is moving between the rocks and the sand I will try to move my rock making a cave.

GregD
Thanks for the advise on the powerheads and the current i will try to adjust the current and see what is happends

Gary Majchrzak
02/22/2002, 11:16 PM
manu, your carpet anemone is a Stichodactyla gigantea,a difficult to keep species.No one in the thread suggested turning off the light above the anemone.In fact ,this anemone needs INTENSE lighting- so please plug that light back in! If the anemone has host clownfish,it will do better in an aquarium.I don't see any of your anemonefish in the pictures- do you have any fish in the anemone? How long has the aquarium housing this anemone been running?

manu
02/23/2002, 01:48 PM
Gary,
At this point the tank is a 180 gal systems with 2 years old and yes, I have 2 clownfishes but didn't show any interest yet I hope they do in the next days.

thanks

Pinkskunk
02/23/2002, 08:40 PM
Hey Gary,

I believe it is a Haddoni.

Gary Majchrzak
02/23/2002, 08:53 PM
Pinkskunk- you are right! It is a Stichodactyla haddoni! I stand corrected. All blue carpets I am used to seeing are S. GIGANTEA. That's what I get for using scientific names off the top of my head.Thanks for posting, Pinkskunk.By the way,do you still have your beautiful PINK S.haddoni?

Pinkskunk
02/24/2002, 12:51 PM
Yes i still do. He is so handsome and i feel so lucky to have him. What you said about Gigantea are correct, they are EXTREMLY hard to keep. Even Blue Haddoni are much harder to keep than ordinary brown and green colored Haddoni.

kmu
02/25/2002, 10:38 AM
How's de carpet?

pooreefer
02/25/2002, 10:19 PM
I don't know if anyone catch my question, but here it is again. Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by pooreefer
This might be kinda off the subject but is it true that carpets digest themselves when they're stressed and not eating?

Gary Majchrzak
02/26/2002, 12:14 AM
I think any living organism that is not eating survives by "digesting itself", including human beings,but that is not the answer you are looking for -or is it? Carpet anemones that are not eating{ie:wasting away} may appear to be digesting themselves as the mouth gapes and the mass of the animal contorts. Ultimately the animal that does not acclimate 'melts down.' You want to make sure to remove the putrid mass as soon as possible,and perhaps do a water change. Hope this answers your question.