PDA

View Full Version : Free Beer...

asnatlas
08/23/2005, 11:14 PM
Now that I have everyone attention :) (thx thebrian)... I am starting a little early, but I would like to get a list going of what you all like...

Please reply with your fav choice... List 2 if you have them...

If you are one of the select few like me, list what you like to drink...

The reason I am taking this pool is because I am going to be having Will (AO) build a custom 500+ gal tank and would need help getting it down into my basement... This will not happen until mid Oct to Nov sometime... But I just want to get it out there to let everyone know and get a list of everyone's fav drink :)

Shawn

thebrian
08/23/2005, 11:19 PM
Corona is good - don't forget the lime :D

CaveManNOhio
08/24/2005, 07:02 AM
I don't drink, but you can count me in. Always into getting together with new friends!!
CaveMan
:smokin:

Mantis
08/24/2005, 09:17 AM
Don't hold your breath for November, Will is good but not fast :)
If you want to see his craftsmanship, you can come by and see my tank.
Brad

hollback
08/24/2005, 10:34 AM
You might want to bring this up again in January when the tank actually comes. :D

Bcollins111900
08/24/2005, 05:35 PM
Remember moving a tank in the cold I would imagine would be less forgiving.... I can give ya a hand shawn, not like i live real far from ya...

Sloth
08/24/2005, 05:56 PM
Can I have CaveManNOhio's beer even if I don't help?

asnatlas
08/24/2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks for everyone's help :) I will post when it gets closer... And I will make sure that I have the tank on site... But for now.... Post your fav beer choice, or what ever you would like... I will have food also...

Shawn

TacoKing
08/25/2005, 07:10 AM
Okey... After moving Sedar's tank last night, I'd almost recommend hiring some professional movers to move the 500gal. We had what, 14 people last night and every one of us was struggling and sweating by the end.

Have you taken into consideration how you're going to get the tank in the house? Do you have an opening wide enough? Moving a tank of that size just isn't an easy task.

-Rob

btw, if you want to drive to PA and get some beer, pick me up some Yuengling!

CaveManNOhio
08/25/2005, 07:23 AM
The reason I am taking this pool is because I am going to be having Will (AO) build a custom 500+ gal tank and would need help getting it down into my basement...

Do you mean down a flight of stairs? Because you wont be able to get enough hands on the tank to carry it down. Or do you have a walk in like Phishy?

bennerkla
08/25/2005, 06:18 PM
I'll help. That is going to be one heck of a task, but count me in. Email me at bennerkla@gmail.com when you need me.

porky
08/25/2005, 06:56 PM
2 words!
Sam Adams
http://www.j-dotonline.com/images/sam_adams.gif

asnatlas
08/25/2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by TacoKing
Okey... After moving Sedar's tank last night, I'd almost recommend hiring some professional movers to move the 500gal. We had what, 14 people last night and every one of us was struggling and sweating by the end.

Have you taken into consideration how you're going to get the tank in the house? Do you have an opening wide enough? Moving a tank of that size just isn't an easy task.

-Rob

btw, if you want to drive to PA and get some beer, pick me up some Yuengling!

Yes I have taken the entire tank into consideration... I have a garage with a door into the house and right across from that door is the door to the basement. Once you enter the basement it opens up to a 13ft wide room. So other then the stairs (I think like 10 of them) it's a clear shot...

Shawn

asnatlas
08/25/2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by CaveManNOhio
Do you mean down a flight of stairs? Because you wont be able to get enough hands on the tank to carry it down. Or do you have a walk in like Phishy?

I wish I has a walk in basement :(

Shawn

CaveManNOhio
08/25/2005, 08:30 PM
I would get as many of those Big Suction cups that Serdar had for his move.

asnatlas
08/25/2005, 08:33 PM

Travis had a good idea with his 280gal Acrylic... He built a sled out of 2x4s to help get the tank down the stairs...

http://sio.midco.net/cdshelton/website/page6/111_1130.JPG

I was going to do something like that... have it so that it can slide down, I don't think it will be too hard...

Shawn

asnatlas
08/25/2005, 08:34 PM
I would get as many of those Big Suction cups that Serdar had for his move.

Glass Locks are on my list as well...

Shawn

sammie
08/25/2005, 08:54 PM
With that much weight plus the weight of all the help plus whatever you use to slide it down you need to check the construction of you stairway. A "normal" constructed staircase will not take that much stress, especially a long span of 8 steps which is a whole story.

Food for thought before you plunge

Bill

CaveManNOhio
08/25/2005, 09:02 PM
That is a very good point, I hadn't even thought about that. I'm thinking the most you could do is 2 people on each end going through the door and down the stairs. And hopefully the stairway is open at some point so that you can get as many hands on it as possible as you go down

Bcollins111900
08/25/2005, 09:23 PM
No matter what I am still game to help out Shawn. I am sure we can figured something out. The steps being strong enough shoud not be a problem if they are built correctly which I would imagine they are. All I have to say is come alongs being released slowly letting the tank every so slowly get down the stairs, thats the key....

CaveManNOhio
08/25/2005, 09:47 PM
I'm in, love the challange. I think you are on to some thing bc

hllywd
08/26/2005, 02:50 PM
Just 2 cents worth here but I wouldn't think the tank would weigh a lot more than an old upright piano, and I've helped move more than 1 of those up and down stairs. As long as your construction is good and especially with the sled idea you shouldn't have a problem. You could count me in but I'm in Findlay...

79Yota
08/26/2005, 03:57 PM
I would be game, but asume no responsibility for any broken and or stolen items. "wink" I dont think Phishys was misplanned, I think we all underestimated it. With the overflow and not being able to hold it in certian places, it was more of a pain then I thought it would be. The biggest problem was finding a handhold. But I will be there.

asnatlas
08/26/2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone... I went to HD and got some 2x4s and ply-board and build a "shell" and my cousin and I were able to get it into the basement with no problem... So I think I will be having Will build a 96x48x30...

While I was talking with my Cousin today we came up with another idea... Using the sled, we can lower it down with his SUV slowly until we get to the bottom as he has hooks on the front of his Jimmy, Will still need guys kinda guiding the tank, but the SUV should be able to hold most of the weight... As I stated before I will also have glass locks...

I really think this will not be too bad at all if I am able to get enough hands :)

Thanks again everyone, I will keep you all posted and try to get a date set...

Shawn

asnatlas
08/26/2005, 08:36 PM
Well its a done deal now... I have sent Will 2/3 payment, all I have to do it wait now... I went with 96x48x30... I will keep you all posted...

Shawn

CaveManNOhio
08/26/2005, 11:49 PM
Looking forward to it Shawn. It also sounds like it will be pretty easy.
Keep me posted.
CaveMan
:smokin:

asnatlas
01/03/2006, 05:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6414194#post6414194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
(*#&$(*#@&$(*#&$ OMFG.......... If it's not one thing it's always another... I got a call around 3:30pm from the movers saying that they don't have the equ to move this thing... )*&#@$)(*#&$)(*#&$(*#@&$................... When calling around to diff movers before I ordered the tank I spoke with Custom Movers and they stated moves like this were their specialty and that as long as it could fit then they could do it... Well I know it will fit... The reason I went with All American Moving is because they were less then 200.00 insured... The quote I for from Custom Movers was 400ish+ :( I have no other choice but to pay 2.5x more now unless I want to setup a reef on the loading dock where the tank sits right now :rolleye1:

Jeff from Custom Movers will be out tomorrow around 4pm to take a look to see what equ he will need...

Maybe 10 of us could get it winched down the stairs ?? LOL...

prime8man
01/03/2006, 07:22 PM
i can bring a ton of glass movers (suction cups) i use them at work moving around grainite i have tons of them, also i can help with the heavy end (i move granite for a living) let me know, any beer will work.

ronc98
01/03/2006, 07:40 PM
depending upon when you do this I can help, I have three sets of glassblocks and a little strength. :)

tabndust
01/03/2006, 08:16 PM
depending on when im in

prance1520
01/03/2006, 08:19 PM
I'd be really happy to help if I can. Been following your thread and will do what I can to help you get your new toy going. Not a whole lot of muscle but I'm sure I can help with something.

CaveManNOhio
01/03/2006, 08:47 PM
The offer still stands from me. I'm on vacation this week so I would be happy to help out. Just let me know. I'll PM you my number.

Mantis
01/03/2006, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear this but I suspected it after I heard the movers kept putting you off.

Mantis
01/03/2006, 09:41 PM
By the way, you can use my dolly still if you want to ramp it down the stairs with a winch, it will hold your tank, but is there anything that's strong enough to attach the winch to, that is the question.

asnatlas
01/03/2006, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6416450#post6416450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mantis
By the way, you can use my dolly still if you want to ramp it down the stairs with a winch, it will hold your tank, but is there anything that's strong enough to attach the winch to, that is the question.

Attach it to an SUV or another large truck ??

CaveManNOhio
01/03/2006, 10:17 PM
An SUV or Truck would work, has long has you have a direct shot at your basement stairs. A big tree would also work. You will just need something that you can attach the winch to and be able to handle the load.

asnatlas
01/03/2006, 10:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6416773#post6416773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
An SUV or Truck would work, has long has you have a direct shot at your basement stairs. A big tree would also work. You will just need something that you can attach the winch to and be able to handle the load.

It's a direct shot to the basement... When you come into the Garage, the door to the house and the door to the basement are straight across from each other, like 3ft or so...

asnatlas
01/03/2006, 10:38 PM
http://600gal.asnatlas.com/Resized/Garage%20and%20Basement%20Doors%201.JPG

http://600gal.asnatlas.com/Resized/Garage%20and%20Basement%20Doors%202.JPG

http://600gal.asnatlas.com/Resized/Garage%20and%20Basement%20Doors%203.JPG

CaveManNOhio
01/03/2006, 10:43 PM
Then yea it would work just park the vehicle being used in the garage and away you go. I know my Blazer has the hook's on the front. Secure the tank to the dolly and the dolly to the winch and your in. Sounds like fun, let me know when.

ronc98
01/03/2006, 11:41 PM
Other then it being 1200 lbs it looks like a straight shot. I might be able to come up with a wench that would make it ALOT easier and safer. You really do not want anyone around it as it goes down the stairs for safty reasons alone. Once it is down there then it gets fun.

I doubt you will save the hardwood floor at the stair opening. It will take ALOT of weight as the tank starts down. I would also build a ramp over the steps with 2x4 to make it easier to slide down. You do not want it catching on the stairs as it goes.

Better yet I would buy alot of 2x4 and then make a rail system for the tank. Leaving it on the skid you might be able to slide it to the stairs then tilt it and slide some more. Getting it to slide down the stairs is not the issue stopping if from sliding is.

hllywd
01/03/2006, 11:45 PM
Secure it to a 2x4 sled. Really I think a couple guys could ease it down the stairs with a rope but if you want to use a car or a winch I'm sure that would work. I'd love to make a trip south and help but it sounds like you're not short of volumteers....:cool:

hllywd
01/03/2006, 11:49 PM
hmmm.... the big thing I'd be worried about is overloading the stairs. Spread the weght ot.

CaveManNOhio
01/03/2006, 11:57 PM
The stair load is going to be the biggest danger to the whole thing. Might even want to think about putting some bracing under them if possible. Like ronc98 said, getting to go down wont be a problem......gravity is on our side there.

Mantis
01/04/2006, 07:49 AM
You would need to build a ramp down the stairs, 2x12's that run all the way from the top to the bottom secured to the steps somehow. My dolly has 6 inch wheels so it's easy to get it over small bumps.

How would you secure the ropes to the tank?

ronc98
01/04/2006, 08:01 AM
I am not so sure a dolly is a good idea to get down the stairs anything with wheels on it and an incline is a bad idea. If you can leave it on the skid were the weight of the tank is spread out over the skid you protect both the tank and stairs.

2x12 would be better then 2x4 but what you want to do is completely enclose the top of the stairs so it is a secure ramp. Key word here being secure. Then slide the skid over the ramp until you get inside the basement and you can get people around it. Skid might be to wide however so if it is then it is time to build another skid for this very purpose. When rebuilding the skid use 2x4 long ways on the tank in an effort to make runners.

With ten people ALOT of 2x4 and a lot of thought we can do this safely. I understand the concern in the other thread here and I also agree with Geo if you can get a moving company to move if for around $500 then that might be the best safest route. If not then we do with what we have.

This is a dangerous move that muscles alone will not get you buy however with some thought and planning I do not think it is so bad.

miaminemo
01/04/2006, 12:39 PM
still no date on when its being moved i assume?

I had a buddy in college who moved things to pay tuition.. whenever there was a question of if something would fit hed take think strips (anything will work) and make something very light of the same dimentions and make sure it would fit..

Mantis
01/04/2006, 03:03 PM
It will fit, that's not the problem.
It weighs 1200 pounds, and has to go down some stairs,
that's the problem.

sammie
01/04/2006, 03:55 PM
How much clearance do you have from each wall in the stairway and also do you have enough clearance in the door jams? The main issue is when the tank is at a point at the top of the stairs where it goes from horizontal to the angle of the stairs, all the weight will be on that one point where it pivots before it rests on the stairs themselves. The next issue is when it hits bottom and you need to pull out the front of the tank to get it off the stairs. Once in the basement you can move it around using dow rods to roll it on. I moved my 210 gal by myself through 2 rooms and around corners on wooden dow rods with very little problem.

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 05:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6422025#post6422025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sammie
How much clearance do you have from each wall in the stairway and also do you have enough clearance in the door jams? The main issue is when the tank is at a point at the top of the stairs where it goes from horizontal to the angle of the stairs, all the weight will be on that one point where it pivots before it rests on the stairs themselves. The next issue is when it hits bottom and you need to pull out the front of the tank to get it off the stairs. Once in the basement you can move it around using dow rods to roll it on. I moved my 210 gal by myself through 2 rooms and around corners on wooden dow rods with very little problem.

The doors are just a little over 31", Tank is 30" so I have just a little over an 1/2" on each side to play with... When I get into the stairwell I have about 35"... In talking to Jeff yesterday we pretty much had the same idea as I came up with, just a little different... He is thinking about a carpeted ramp down the stairs and fastening a pieces of plywood to the tank of the tank and winching it down that and once it gets to the bottom to get the first end to reach on some flat carpeted Furniture dollies (like Mantis built) so once it's on that it will move more freely and then once the other end is down placing another set of carpeted Furniture dollies under the tank...

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 03:48 PM
Got a call from Jeff with Custom Movers today and well, guess what figure he came back with.... 1k :eek2:

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 03:55 PM
The funniest thing about all of this is that he is talking about getting down into the basement the same way as I had planned it out before, and what we all have been talking about... Making a ramp and sliding it down into the basement via a truck...

CaveManNOhio
01/05/2006, 04:08 PM
So you paying them to do it?

cward
01/05/2006, 04:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6427031#post6427031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
The doors are just a little over 31", Tank is 30" so I have just a little over an 1/2" on each side to play with...

You might want to measure the tank to make sure it was built at 30" tall on the outside and not the inside. You never know, and it would sure stink if they delivered the tank only to find out that the door jamb needed to be removed.
With the jamb removed you should have a rough opening of 34".

CaveManNOhio
01/05/2006, 04:55 PM
I got a nice new Saws-All. That jam would come out like butter. And go right back in. :)

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 05:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6430889#post6430889 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
You might want to measure the tank to make sure it was built at 30" tall on the outside and not the inside. You never know, and it would sure stink if they delivered the tank only to find out that the door jamb needed to be removed.
With the jamb removed you should have a rough opening of 34".

When the tank was being built I made sure that Will was building the outside to 96x48x30... I did measure it when I went and looked at it in person I got the same, Jeff has also measured it and got the same... So the tank is 96x48x30 on the outside measurements...

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6430616#post6430616 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
So you paying them to do it?

At this time I am waiting on Geo's brother to call me back to see what he has to say... I am still tossing around the idea of getting some people to help move it... I just don't know what to do, I can't see paying a third of what the tank cost to have it built just to get it into the basement :(

cward
01/05/2006, 05:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6431124#post6431124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
When the tank was being built I made sure that Will was building the outside to 96x48x30... I did measure it when I went and looked at it in person I got the same, Jeff has also measured it and got the same... So the tank is 96x48x30 on the outside measurements...

Good deal, better safe than sorry.

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6431217#post6431217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
Good deal, better safe than sorry.

Yep yep, thanks for looking out :) At this time though my tank is prob growing and/or my door jams are shrinking with the luck I have been having and the new things that have been popping up, I would not be surprised...

xdusty6920
01/05/2006, 06:51 PM
i agree shawn. 1k is insane just to move one object such a short distance. even if it is 1200 lbs. im sure those guys dont make anymore then $10 an hour and itd probably take 10 or so big movers to do it. and being generous maybe an hours time. so he has to pay out around $100 to his workers to make this happen...........whats the other $900 for? youd think he'd say around $300. he pockets $200 bucks in under an hour.

CaveManNOhio
01/05/2006, 06:57 PM
Well the mover also has to pay insurance incase one of his $10 hr guy's does something stupid like breaking it.

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 07:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6431983#post6431983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xdusty6920
i agree shawn. 1k is insane just to move one object such a short distance. even if it is 1200 lbs. im sure those guys dont make anymore then $10 an hour and itd probably take 10 or so big movers to do it. and being generous maybe an hours time. so he has to pay out around $100 to his workers to make this happen...........whats the other $900 for? youd think he'd say around $300. he pockets $200 bucks in under an hour.

He would only be sending 5 guys plus him... He said that he could prob get away with 4 but he would want the 5th there just in case...

szwab
01/05/2006, 07:44 PM
he also has to pay taxes and workers comp his costs are a bit more than hourly salary.

ronc98
01/05/2006, 07:59 PM
Instead of debating about if it is fair or not, how many people here would pay 1K to get the tank moved?

radone
01/05/2006, 08:15 PM
Know anyone with a rollback?
You could always put it on a sled then use the trucks winch to ease it down with the guidance of some help.
I've moved some huge furnaces this way. If there's any doubt it will fit with the jamb take it out. Way easier to do it before it gets down the and wham S--- it won't go thru.
If this is going thru a bilco type setup remove your stairs then roll it on pvc pipe where its gotta go.

Gotta watch this
but good luck and everyone involved be careful as it's not worth someone getting hurt.

CaveManNOhio
01/05/2006, 08:18 PM
I can't say that I would. That's 1k that could go into tank stuff. If I paid them 1k, then I would have to wait another year before Mrs. CaveMan would let me any more on it. ;)

Norm R
01/05/2006, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6432527#post6432527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronc98
Instead of debating about if it is fair or not, how many people here would pay 1K to get the tank moved?

While it would be difficult to swallow after planning on $200, considering the risk involved, I'd sure strongly consider it before the other options at hand.

A key question to me that was stated previously is whether the mover is insured.

geo
01/05/2006, 08:54 PM
Mark and I are going to sit in lawn chairs drinking beer watching you guys try to move this tank :lol:

geo
01/05/2006, 08:56 PM
with 91 dialed on the phone, waiting for the last one :)

radone
01/05/2006, 08:56 PM
I wanna watch!

szwab
01/05/2006, 08:59 PM
yep I'll be there with my video camera I hear they are looking for more material on America's Funniest Videos. maybe I can win $50,000

But seriously tried to be the voice of reason but now i will need to resort to sarcasm.

CaveManNOhio
01/05/2006, 09:11 PM
Remember my signiture.......
;)

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 09:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433027#post6433027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by szwab
yep I'll be there with my video camera I hear they are looking for more material on America's Funniest Videos. maybe I can win $50,000

But seriously tried to be the voice of reason but now i will need to resort to sarcasm.

Mark, I don't really want to pay 1k for move this tank, I also don't want to move this myself (with help from the club) I especially don't want anyone hurt, I would rather have the tank dropped and busted over getting someone hurt or worse... I am going to look at my options in getting this tank on the first floor...

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 09:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6432757#post6432757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Norm R
While it would be difficult to swallow after planning on $200, considering the risk involved, I'd sure strongly consider it before the other options at hand.

A key question to me that was stated previously is whether the mover is insured.

Norm, How did you go about reinforcement for your tank ??

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433166#post6433166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
Remember my signiture.......
;)

When The Going Get's Weird, The Weird Turn Pro.................

for 1k...

ronc98
01/05/2006, 09:31 PM
You can get floor jacks at lowes for around 50 each. I am using one for my tank however with a tank like yours I would use one in each corner. I am sure it is overkill but better safe then sorry.

szwab
01/05/2006, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433339#post6433339 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronc98
You can get floor jacks at lowes for around 50 each. I am using one for my tank however with a tank like yours I would use one in each corner. I am sure it is overkill but better safe then sorry.

or build a few load bearing walls under the area the tank will go.

geo
01/05/2006, 09:39 PM
Four post and a couple of beams.

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433339#post6433339 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronc98

Floor jacks are not an option as the only place the tank can go on the first level is the living room, right under the living room in the basement is the family room... I can't have 4 jacks in the middle of my family room...

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 09:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433362#post6433362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by szwab
or build a few load bearing walls under the area the tank will go.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433396#post6433396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geo
Four post and a couple of beams.

So without load bearing walls in the basement, posts with a couple of beams, or jacks... There is no way I can reinforce the first floor with out affecting the living room....

geo
01/05/2006, 09:53 PM
living room schmiving room, we are talking reef tank here :lol:

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433512#post6433512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geo
living room schmiving room, we are talking reef tank here :lol:

LOL, as much as I would do almost anything to get this tank up and running, I do need to set limits...

szwab
01/05/2006, 10:02 PM
you are basically need something that will extend down to the basement floor to suport the tank. I went the load bearing wall route for my tank. came in handy built 4 and created my fish room underneathe the tank. As Brad mentioned a horitontal run can get you anwhere in the basement and won't add too much to total head pressure.

geo
01/05/2006, 10:03 PM
All joking aside, I know you have to please the better half and there are limits. I would seriously consider placing the tank on the first floor and running the filtration in the basement.

CaveManNOhio
01/05/2006, 10:04 PM
Oh ok, you can set it up in my LR. Visit it any time you want. I'll build LB walls in my basement.
Would this be with in your limits.
Any thing to help a fellow member.
Oh yea the Mrs. can visit any time she wants to also.

geo
01/05/2006, 10:05 PM
Yet another option provided by caveman! cora is great, people helping people

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 10:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433598#post6433598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by szwab
you are basically need something that will extend down to the basement floor to suport the tank.

I was afraid you were going to say that :(

asnatlas
01/05/2006, 10:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433610#post6433610 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
Oh ok, you can set it up in my LR. Visit it any time you want. I'll build LB walls in my basement.
Would this be with in your limits.
Any thing to help a fellow member.
Oh yea the Mrs. can visit any time she wants to also.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433620#post6433620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geo
Yet another option provided by caveman! cora is great, people helping people

You guys are too funny...

prime8man
01/05/2006, 10:40 PM
man this thread has got like 900 hits i wonder how many hits it would have gotten if the heading was free coral or free fish lol....................

hollback
01/06/2006, 12:34 AM
You know it's possible to post quotes and respond to multiple people in the same post right? Are you just trying to get that post count up? :lol:

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 12:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6434827#post6434827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hollback
You know it's possible to post quotes and respond to multiple people in the same post right? Are you just trying to get that post count up? :lol:

That number means nothing to me; I don't care if I have 1k or 10k... I just like to focus on one post as a time when I am replying... At least when I go back to check my post/replies after they have been submitted and I have an error I use the edit/delete instead of posting again to correct it, if it only minutes after the first post like I see many other on RC do, or hitting the submit button twice and doing a double post...

Norm R
01/06/2006, 05:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433303#post6433303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
Norm, How did you go about reinforcement for your tank ??

I have double floor joists below the tank area with an extra beam supported by posts (floor jacks) at the midpoint between the basement wall and the I-beam. While not impossible, it can be difficult to add the double joists after construction due to wiring typically running through the joists. Based on what I read above, I don't know that much of this would work for you since you have a finished room below.

szwab
01/06/2006, 08:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6434842#post6434842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
That number means nothing to me; I don't care if I have 1k or 10k... I just like to focus on one post as a time when I am replying... At least when I go back to check my post/replies after they have been submitted and I have an error I use the edit/delete instead of posting again to correct it, if it only minutes after the first post like I see many other on RC do, or hitting the submit button twice and doing a double post...

guilty conscious?

it's OK there should be a new forum opening up soon titled for poster anonymous.

kind of a support group :)

cward
01/06/2006, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6433291#post6433291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
Mark, I don't really want to pay 1k for move this tank

But you paid how much for that BK fish poop extractor?:eek1:

AcroSteve
01/06/2006, 11:54 AM
It is tough to swallow, but I would probably get Jeff to move it.

Is there any chance he will stick you with a storage bill if you go with some other mover? Something to think about.

geo
01/06/2006, 07:22 PM
I would say those chances are pretty good. And who ever moves it also has to pick it up and deliver it.
I am with Steve, if it is goingon the basement pay Jeff and be done with it.
If it is going on first floor I am sure there will be no shortage of CORA members willing to move it for you.

CaveManNOhio
01/06/2006, 08:59 PM
You know you can count me in. After further thought it does kinda scare me putting it in the basement. If some thing went wrong and the tank got damaged I would feel really bad.

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 09:03 PM
Who can I contact about looking into load bearing support options ?? I would like to try to get someone out by Monday to look around and tell me what I might be able to do... If that does not work, then it looks like I will be taking Jeff up on his 1k quote :sad2:

Jetfuel
01/06/2006, 09:09 PM
Not to throw something up that maybe be old, but I was looking at pictures of your stand, for that size of tank and the total weight looks like 4" x 4" would have been a better choice than double up a 2" x 4" Hope it holds

szwab
01/06/2006, 09:13 PM
You would need to find a structural engineer or possibly a home builder with expertise in the area. The person would need to be qualified and competent in order to be confident they weren't going to have a lawsuit on their hands later down the road. Unless you want to take someone's word on it. I would guess that would be some bucks as well, for a consultation. Being the weekend I doubt you could get someone in on Monday. Just something to think about. If it will cost 1k to get it down.... my guess is it would cost quite a bit more to get it out of the basement. You have gravity in your favor this time, you will be working against it next time.

CaveManNOhio
01/06/2006, 09:32 PM
There really isn't any thing to building a load baring wall. It's just a matter of getting the proper material and putting it up. It's really simple framing using heavy duty material.
Is there still no chance you could do columns? If you could then a wall wouldn't be needed.
Some thing I started thinking about though. I don't know what one weights, but people put King Size water beds on second floor all the time. They say it equals out to x amount of refrigerators because they way the weight it distributed. Isn't it the same way with tanks? I know there is a lot of weight involved but isn't it distributed out so that it's not that bad. I hope every one understands what I'm getting at.

Dubbin1
01/06/2006, 09:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441222#post6441222 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
Who can I contact about looking into load bearing support options ?? I would like to try to get someone out by Monday to look around and tell me what I might be able to do... If that does not work, then it looks like I will be taking Jeff up on his 1k quote :sad2:
Shawn you are going to be looking at more then 1K for someone to come in and do that for you. At this point I would just spend the 1K and have it moved to where you want it. I really feel for ya bro. I bet you have one major headache over this mess.

radone
01/06/2006, 09:53 PM
Just for info most modern homes are built using an equation of psf for floors along with second floors and even roofs. If I remember correctly the figure is somewhere like 40psf for a first floor. I do have a book to look in if that would help.
I could always call my Dad he's been in the construction(residential, and Industrial) for 50+ years if that would help you. He could tell you exactly what you would need and a way to get that behemoth down stairs no problem.

CaveManNOhio
01/06/2006, 10:12 PM
asnatlas: how old is your house? Do you have Trusses or Joist? As radone stated above most newer houses are built to take a lot. They have learned that there are people like us out here. ;)
And if radone as acess to some of the tech. info and you are willing to get the materials I would be more than happy to help you build what you need. I wouldn't go getting any eng. cause I can tell you a head of time it will cost you about at min. $500+ to get them to come out.

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 10:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441421#post6441421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
There really isn't any thing to building a load baring wall. It's just a matter of getting the proper material and putting it up. It's really simple framing using heavy duty material.
Is there still no chance you could do columns? If you could then a wall wouldn't be needed.
Some thing I started thinking about though. I don't know what one weights, but people put King Size water beds on second floor all the time. They say it equals out to x amount of refrigerators because they way the weight it distributed. Isn't it the same way with tanks? I know there is a lot of weight involved but isn't it distributed out so that it's not that bad. I hope every one understands what I'm getting at.

I don't want to build a "wall" but if I could get away with like 2 posts or something like that I might be able to work with that...

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441524#post6441524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
Shawn you are going to be looking at more then 1K for someone to come in and do that for you. At this point I would just spend the 1K and have it moved to where you want it. I really feel for ya bro. I bet you have one major headache over this mess.

Right now that is the top thing on my mind; I am just trying to look at all of my options... Right now (and for the past few days) my head has been hurting like HELL, as well as being sick to my stomach thinking about all of this crap...

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 10:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441583#post6441583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by radone
Just for info most modern homes are built using an equation of psf for floors along with second floors and even roofs. If I remember correctly the figure is somewhere like 40psf for a first floor. I do have a book to look in if that would help.
I could always call my Dad he's been in the construction(residential, and Industrial) for 50+ years if that would help you. He could tell you exactly what you would need and a way to get that behemoth down stairs no problem.

Hmm, since the stand is taking up... what 32sq ft ?? 4'x8' = 32 and rounding up to 4tons (8k lbs) that is 8k \ 32 = 250psf or am I looking at this all wrong ?? If I am right then I am only like 210psf over :(

If your dad is able and willing, does not hurt to ask :)

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 10:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441719#post6441719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
asnatlas: how old is your house? Do you have Trusses or Joist? As radone stated above most newer houses are built to take a lot. They have learned that there are people like us out here. ;)
And if radone as acess to some of the tech. info and you are willing to get the materials I would be more than happy to help you build what you need. I wouldn't go getting any eng. cause I can tell you a head of time it will cost you about at min. $500+ to get them to come out.

The house was built in 93... Trusses are normaly used for roofs in most cases, right ?? If so then I have joists that run from the front to back of the house (east and west)... The 8ft section of the tank would be sitting along the joists (east to west)... If I am going to need load bearing supports to the basement floor about the only thing I would be able to do would be to have like 2 columns other then that it's not doable :(

CaveManNOhio
01/06/2006, 10:48 PM
The post thing would be easy enough to do. You could then even box them and dry wall them so they would be decrative. The only info needed to determine where and how many would be the area where the tank is going to sit and see where it fall's on the joist/trusses below. My thought would be if it falls just right you wouldn't need much.
Side note to some thing szwab said earlier, getting the tank back out later could cost you more. Could be even more risky. Like he said you got gravity on your side getting it down there, against you coming out. And I bet that will come into play if paying some one to get it out. I know I would be more willing to help you get it in, but later when you wanted it out, I'd prob. have to say I'm busy that day.;)

asnatlas
01/06/2006, 10:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441977#post6441977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
The post thing would be easy enough to do. You could then even box them and dry wall them so they would be decrative. The only info needed to determine where and how many would be the area where the tank is going to sit and see where it fall's on the joist/trusses below. My thought would be if it falls just right you wouldn't need much.
Side note to some thing szwab said earlier, getting the tank back out later could cost you more. Could be even more risky. Like he said you got gravity on your side getting it down there, against you coming out. And I bet that will come into play if paying some one to get it out. I know I would be more willing to help you get it in, but later when you wanted it out, I'd prob. have to say I'm busy that day.;)

As you stated above dry walling them in and making them decorative is what was on my mind and why I might be able to get away with doing something like that... If the tank is running with the joists and since its 48" wide I would be on 3 to 4 joists depending as they are prob 16" apart like studs in a wall ??

CaveManNOhio
01/06/2006, 11:33 PM
If memory serves me right, they should be 18" oc, walls are 16" oc. But that would be easy enough to confirm since you have drop ceiling in the one area. Has for the columns I don't see why pressure treated 4x4's with nail plates wouldn't be enough to do what you need.
In any case, I am more than happy to help you any way I can.

CaveManNOhio
01/06/2006, 11:34 PM
One other thing. If you have trusses they will be 24"oc

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 01:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6442346#post6442346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
If memory serves me right, they should be 18" oc, walls are 16" oc. But that would be easy enough to confirm since you have drop ceiling in the one area. Has for the columns I don't see why pressure treated 4x4's with nail plates wouldn't be enough to do what you need.
In any case, I am more than happy to help you any way I can.

When I get home I will measure to see what I come up with....

As for the columns, its not that easy as I have to deal with a finished ceiling and carpet that if I did go this route I would need to cut into (neatly to have a finished look once complete) to get all the way to the floor joists and concrete...

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 01:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6442352#post6442352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
One other thing. If you have trusses they will be 24"oc

I am almost 100% positive that I have joists as I don't have 24" in-between each one...

CaveManNOhio
01/07/2006, 01:26 AM
Then they should be 18"oc

Dubbin1
01/07/2006, 02:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6442346#post6442346 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
Has for the columns I don't see why pressure treated 4x4's with nail plates wouldn't be enough to do what you need.
You will not want to use any pressure treated lumber. Pressure treated lumber shrinks a bunch when it starts to dry out. FYI I am in construction for a living.

radone
01/07/2006, 08:50 AM
#1 your floor joist should be 16"oc no matter what most walls are also 16 this is what supports the second floor and the roof.
Depending on the span from your outside foundation wall to the center( or what supports the other end) will usually determine the size of your joist.
As for your calculation 4x8=32square feet 48"x96"=4608square inches if you figure 8000lbs this would come out to 1.736lbs/per square inch. Engineered I joist will support a bunch of weight, cost is ok but can be high in places( I'm talking about LVL and such) If I was you and your concerned about the weight I would definitely look into your span from where you could put your post to the outside supporting wall. Given this would determine a couple things #1 is regular wood feasible #2 Is the lenght to far for not putting anything for support or are LVL's the best way. If you could I would actually looking into steel I beams beside your regular floor joist. Trust me though they will be high unless you have friends. The other option would be to beef up your floor under the tank with LVLS maybe even doubled. I'm sure someone else can shed some light on these.

As for my Dad helping, no prob Just give me some info as to the room width, floor joist size, span of joist, what type of sub floor(single layer or double layer) actual tank weight and such.

Let me know

AcroSteve
01/07/2006, 04:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6442040#post6442040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
If the tank is running with the joists and since its 48" wide I would be on 3 to 4 joists depending as they are prob 16" apart like studs in a wall ??

This makes things much more complicated. You need to have a tank that size running at 90 degrees to the joists. That way, there would be at least 6 of them supporting the weight. Even at that, you will need much additional support below it.

Put the tank in the basement or get a different tank. If you try to put it on the 1st floor and add support, at some point, you will wish you had just paid the 1k and got it over with. My guess is that this point would come very soon.

Another option is to cut the silicone out and take the tank to the basement piece by piece and then stick it back together. Again, much more trouble than it is worth. Pay the 1k and have it like you want it - no compromises.

Do not worry about getting the tank back out. Sell the tank with the house. Get a new tank if that point comes.

If you really want to pursue the 1st floor option - take the time and make us a sketch of the way your floor joists run, the proposed spot for the tank, and any walls in the basement that are anywhere near the tank.

Without that, we are just wasting time.

CaveManNOhio
01/07/2006, 06:49 PM
After actually laying out the measurments of the tank with physical objects, I really question if it would really make it all the way into the basement. I fear you will end up with a tank on a 45 deg. angle and no where or any way of getting it there.

AcroSteve
01/07/2006, 07:31 PM
I think I remember Mantis saying there was plenty of room, but it is hard to tell what is going on at the bottom of the stars from the pic. Will the tank need to turn a corner right at the bottom, or is there room for it to clear the stairwell?

CaveManNOhio
01/07/2006, 09:25 PM
Plus how are you going to control it when you are first putting it at the 45 deg angle. I know a wench was bieng discussed but the cable/rope is going to go pretty high in the air until it comes back to level point with the floor. I don't think I would want to be the one holding the tank at the end sliding it down til the cable/rope become tight again.

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 10:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6446191#post6446191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroSteve
This makes things much more complicated. You need to have a tank that size running at 90 degrees to the joists. That way, there would be at least 6 of them supporting the weight. Even at that, you will need much additional support below it.

Put the tank in the basement or get a different tank. If you try to put it on the 1st floor and add support, at some point, you will wish you had just paid the 1k and got it over with. My guess is that this point would come very soon.

Another option is to cut the silicone out and take the tank to the basement piece by piece and then stick it back together. Again, much more trouble than it is worth. Pay the 1k and have it like you want it - no compromises.

Do not worry about getting the tank back out. Sell the tank with the house. Get a new tank if that point comes.

If you really want to pursue the 1st floor option - take the time and make us a sketch of the way your floor joists run, the proposed spot for the tank, and any walls in the basement that are anywhere near the tank.

Without that, we are just wasting time.

I know, that is why I stated that the tank would be running parallel with the joists and not perpendicular...

I would much rather have it in the basement then on the first floor...

Cutting the silicone out is not an option...

With all of this headache to get it down, If it does go down then it will prob not see the light of day again...

At this time I am leaning towards getting it into the basement as I don't think the first floor is an option any more...

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 10:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6447008#post6447008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
After actually laying out the measurments of the tank with physical objects, I really question if it would really make it all the way into the basement. I fear you will end up with a tank on a 45 deg. angle and no where or any way of getting it there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6447239#post6447239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroSteve
I think I remember Mantis saying there was plenty of room, but it is hard to tell what is going on at the bottom of the stars from the pic. Will the tank need to turn a corner right at the bottom, or is there room for it to clear the stairwell?

It will go into the basement... I will bet my life on that... Like I stated many time the stand is 96x48x30 and the outer shell was built in the garage and then carried down to make sure that once the tank came that it would fit... Now granted the tank weights quite a bit more then the stand did at that time...

Once you reach the bottom of the stairs that room opens up into an area that has almost 17ft across to the back wall to play with...

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 10:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6448058#post6448058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
Plus how are you going to control it when you are first putting it at the 45 deg angle. I know a wench was bieng discussed but the cable/rope is going to go pretty high in the air until it comes back to level point with the floor. I don't think I would want to be the one holding the tank at the end sliding it down til the cable/rope become tight again.

That is why the pro's are going to be getting paid the big bucks to do this prob...

CaveManNOhio
01/07/2006, 10:38 PM
Hey Shawn, sorry to hear this has become a major pain in the rump for you. Some thing you are supposed to enjoy so much. But after seeing the actual lay out of the tank in visible objects I can't help but think you are going to get it to the bottom of the stair's and not be able to go any where with it at that point. Then have them turn around and tell you its going to cost another 1k to get it back up your stairs. I may be wrong but the more I look at your pictures of the stair way down I don't see how you will be able to turn any corners. That could just be the picture though.

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 11:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6448600#post6448600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaveManNOhio
Hey Shawn, sorry to hear this has become a major pain in the rump for you. Some thing you are supposed to enjoy so much. But after seeing the actual lay out of the tank in visible objects I can't help but think you are going to get it to the bottom of the stair's and not be able to go any where with it at that point. Then have them turn around and tell you its going to cost another 1k to get it back up your stairs. I may be wrong but the more I look at your pictures of the stair way down I don't see how you will be able to turn any corners. That could just be the picture though.

Tomorrow after I get home from work I will take a pic to show the basement at the bottom of the stairs... The tank will be able to come all the way off the stairs and sit on the basement floor (or dollies if those are used) with any turning needed while the tank is coming down the stairs...

icu2
01/07/2006, 11:22 PM
Sheesh, with all the trouble you've had, it may be easier to have a door put in your basement to the outside!

asnatlas
01/07/2006, 11:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6448990#post6448990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icu2
Sheesh, with all the trouble you've had, it may be easier to have a door put in your basement to the outside!

LOL, that thought has crossed my mind...

Norm R
01/08/2006, 12:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6446191#post6446191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroSteve

My tank runs parallel with the joists and the floor is rock solid. It probably hits just 3 (double) joists with the wide end being 44". I have a cross beam below the joists about 6' out from the basement wall supported by two jack posts. My tank is considerably lighter at about 500-550 lbs. but the stand is probably 750-800 lbs and I have 600-700 lbs of live rock in it. With the proper support below, running parallel w/ the joists is no problem. The question is whether you can install proper support in the space you have to work with.

asnatlas
01/10/2006, 11:46 AM
I would like to thank everyone for all of their responses... I have learned alot :) As for my current house, I had originally planned for it to be in the basement for multi reasons and well hopefully tomorrow it will get there in one piece (and still hold water)... I am going to go with Jeff (Custom Movers)... I hate to spend that much money on the move but with me wanted as large of a tank I could fit into the basement, I may have went a little too big :rolleyes: Its prob a good thing I didn’t have a walkout basement because I prob would have tried to go with a larger tank if I could have fit it and had the room... Again thank you all very much for the info and offers... I am sorry to have even asked for help on something like this... I will keep everyone posted on the move...

Dubbin1
01/11/2006, 04:24 PM
So I hear that a certain someone has a tank in his basment :thumbsup:

asnatlas
01/11/2006, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6476541#post6476541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
So I hear that a certain someone has a tank in his basment :thumbsup:

http://600gal.asnatlas.com/Resized/Movers%20in%20front%20of%20tank%20-%20final.JPG

http://600gal.asnatlas.com/Resized/Tank%20on%20stand.JPG

What makes you say that ?? I could just be really good at PS :p

Treg
01/11/2006, 07:17 PM
Congrats Shawn. :celeb3:

CaveManNOhio
01/11/2006, 08:11 PM
That's excellent. Can't wait to see it up and running. Pass that moving company's name around.

tabndust
01/11/2006, 10:53 PM
is there still free beer?

glad to see tank made it in one piece. cant wait to see it running

Treg
01/12/2006, 12:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6479788#post6479788 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tabndust
is there still free beer?

Yeah I can come help NOW. :D

thebrian
01/12/2006, 12:41 AM
He's probably trading the beer for the 800 lbs. of liverock he'll need to fill it...hehe

sammie
01/12/2006, 06:49 AM
Tell us how they did it...

zaireguy
01/12/2006, 07:20 AM
man you have to love that site

RokleM
01/12/2006, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6481311#post6481311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sammie
Tell us how they did it...

I'd be interested in this as well. I don't see anyone on crutches ;)

sammie
01/12/2006, 08:44 PM
He must be busy playing with his new toys and dosen't have time for us any more. Booo Hooo

Treg
01/12/2006, 10:13 PM
Can you blame him?? :lol:

asnatlas
01/12/2006, 10:48 PM
LOL, no I am still here, I didn't do much yesterday as I was tired :( and I have to work night shift so I was sleeping all day today... I will have some pics up a little later that I took during the move... I will be posting them in the main thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=654492) in the Large Reef Tanks forum... It didn't look hard but they prob make it seem easier then it really was... They did it about the same as we all talked about like using a winch and everything...