PDA

View Full Version : Anemone's and freinds

Willie_6
08/21/2005, 09:48 PM
Do you guys/gals have corals in with your anemone's? I am in process of giving my tank another identity, currently it is a FOWLR. I am interested in both corals and anemone's. Do I have choose one or the other?

obarrera
08/22/2005, 12:31 AM
You can have both. It would be best to get the anemone first so it can find a place where it is confortable and won't move stinging corals.

Also, for an anemone you need to have a mature tank, probably like 6 months atleast.

I put one in a 2 month old tank once, it was there for 4 months and never had a problem. But it is best to wait and let the tank mature.

Willie_6
08/22/2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks for your feedback. My tank is 6-7 months now. I did try a RBTA about a month ago, but it died. I am rethinking things now and would like to have corals, but like anemone's as well. Anyone else have thoughts about corals and anemone's co-existing?

Mud Shrimp Moe
08/22/2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Willie_6
Thanks for your feedback. My tank is 6-7 months now. I did try a RBTA about a month ago, but it died. I am rethinking things now and would like to have corals, but like anemone's as well. Anyone else have thoughts about corals and anemone's co-existing?

I would strongly urge you to figure out what went wrong the first go around before trying another. You could have just bought a dying anemone that was going to die no matter what. But odds are there is something about your tank you could improve this time.

That said, sure you can have anemones and corals. I do.

Willie_6
08/22/2005, 10:39 AM
I think I have it figured out. I was using a hydrometer to measure salinity. My salinity always read fine. I became very skepticle about the hydrometer. Knowing that people don't like them on here, I bought a refractometer. It showed up about 3 days after my anemone died. I also lost 2 shrimp. I checked sg with the refractometer and it was.011. Yes you read it right. That I believe was why everything died.

That was $100 in livestock. I will be REAL sure this time before I buy another anemone. In fact I am probably a month away before I buy another. I curretnly have a bad algae problem I want that to be corrected before I invest anymore money.