PDA

View Full Version : Alk/Calc question

bkv1997
08/21/2005, 07:58 PM
Not really an issue, because I monitor and adjust the parameters as needed, but it doesn't seem logically correct and I'm curious.

I go through Alkalinity additives like it is top off water, but rairly ever have to touch my calcium to keep it at 400.

I have tested Magnesium and it is fine at 1350. I know that is a common issue with Alk issues etc....

Any ideas why i would be using more ALK than Calc?

I add additives on a ratio of about 20 parts Alkalinity supplement to 1 part calcium, which just seems strange even though my heavily stocked LPS and SPS 55 gallon is thriving fine.

That not seem strange to you guys as well?

Brandon

BTW I use.
Seachem Reef Advanced Calcium and Reef Builder.

cee
08/21/2005, 08:25 PM
Brandon:

From Dr. Holmes-Farley:
The following scenarios show what can happen to a reef aquarium whose dosage with a balanced additive system does not match its demand. Table 1 shows what can happen when the dosing is inadequate. Alkalinity drops fairly rapidly. After two days, many aquarists might conclude that they need additional alkalinity, when in reality, they need more of both calcium and alkalinity to stabilize the system.

Table 1. Calcium and alkalinity declines in a reef aquarium where balanced additions are not meeting demand.

Day Calcium (ppm) Alkalinity (meq/L)
1 450 4
2 440 3.5
3 430 3
4 420 2.5
5 410 2.0

The whole article is at http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Dave

bkv1997
08/21/2005, 09:00 PM
Yea i have read that article before..

Thanks for the response though..

I have tested it and from what i can tell calcium drops maybe only 20 ppm over two weeks, where my alk drops 2 meq/L every 3 days.

With that said I have an extremely hard time with calcium test kits... starts pink.... well will turn purple, but you want to wait till its blue...

Not really a on/off type test.

Where as alkalinity test is pretty straight foward.

I have used lematte, Seatest, and aquarium pharm... calc test and all seem to work the same way..

Do you know of a calc test kit that takes away the guessing on color change? Maybe it is just my inability to clearly detect the color changes.

Brandon

SmartWrasse
08/21/2005, 09:15 PM
Salifert is the only one I like. You still have the blue or purple guessing game, but it seems more easy for me to see with Salifert.

Muttling
08/22/2005, 05:39 PM
Concerning the question of why your alkalinity consumption is higher, it's really not strange at all. I can't ever recall having a tank that had a calcium consumption that was similar to the carbonate consumption.

Corals and corraline use both calcium and carbonates in building their structure, but the bacterial digestion of ammonia and nitrites produces acidifiers which nuetralizes alkalinity without touching calcium.

reefstyle
08/22/2005, 10:59 PM
Using the test kits/ I had problems at first/ slow down in between drops by swirling the water and drop around allow the water and the drop to mix a little more the color will not change as fast but will give you a closer reading. Hope this helps dennis

bkv1997
08/23/2005, 07:23 AM
k will give that a try cause pretty much don't even start swirling till after 12.