PDA

View Full Version : tanks

xdusty6920
08/21/2005, 07:18 PM
ive been saving for a while and im getting close to ordering a custom tank. dont ask about dimensions because they are gonna be alittle out there but i can tell you it will be decent sized and i think im going to go with acrylic. the question that i have is what places should i be looking into for custom acrylic tanks. i know several of you have had custom tanks built and was wondering who built it, what was it made of, and were you happy with it.

asnatlas
08/21/2005, 09:37 PM
Norm got his 500gal tank (Acrylic) from James at Envision Acrylics (http://www.envisionacrylics.com/)

Mantis and Geo, got their tanks (Glass) from Will at Aquarium Obsessed (http://www.aquariumobsessed.com) (I am going to be ordering a 500gal) from Will myself...

Shawn

TacoKing
08/21/2005, 09:47 PM
I got my 280 gal from Glass Cages. Cheaper and no where near as refined as the AO tanks or Norms tank from Envison Acrylics. Nice tank, but if I were to do it again I'd go with AO.

thebrian
08/21/2005, 10:12 PM
I think Aquarium Obsessed should just move to Columbus and set up shop here. Would save him gas money anyways, with all the tanks he's selling here.

~Brian

Mantis
08/21/2005, 10:15 PM
You have goten some excellent advice already,
you can't go wrong with either of those manufactures.

FYI, if this is a tank you plan on having for awhile, it is extremely difficult to keep an acrylic reef tank scratch free.

thebrian
08/21/2005, 10:17 PM
But you can repair scratches in acryllic rather easily from what I understand...

Norm R
08/22/2005, 11:24 AM
Shawn's link above is indeed where I got my tank. I am very, very pleased with it and James is superb to work with.

I agree with Mantis, if your desire is to maintain a "scratch-free" tank, glass is the way to go. With that said, if you get a tank made of quality acrylic and are willing to be cautious, it is possible to maintain an acrylic tank with minimal superficial scratching that doesn't deter from the view. As Brian said, these superficial scratches can be buffed out if you are so inclined. I've had them for 12 years w/ good success. There are plenty of glass vs. acrylic debates here on RC worth reading. For me, it came down to the safety factor for the larger tank. I'm willing to put up with the scratching chalenge for that added piece of mind - mostly because I once had a visiting child smack the center of my tank's front pane with a very heavy toy. I'm convinced that had the tank been glass, I would be out of the hobby now.

Just my .02

Buckeye ME
08/22/2005, 11:33 AM
I once had a visiting child smack the center of my tank's front pane with a very heavy toy. I'm convinced that had the tank been glass, I would be out of the hobby now.

Stupid kids :blown:

bond007069
08/22/2005, 05:19 PM
I looked in to AO, but got an AGA, happy with my choice.

From North East Ohio (akron area) the drive to Canada was only like 3-4 hours. Not that far really, so i was thinking about driving there to pick it up, instead of a 400 dollar shipping fee.

Sinistard
08/22/2005, 05:44 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Ostroms Manufacturing in Mt.Gilead? http://www.ostrommfg.com/

I am getting an acrylic tank made and contacted them but I can't find anything out there about the quality of tank they make or even anyone that has one.

If I don't get it from them I am talking to a guy from www.socalcreations.com in Southern California and they make some really nice looking tanks. Prices better then Ostroms but with shipping it’s more.

Either way I will have one in the next month and I will let you know how it goes.

Norm R
08/22/2005, 06:35 PM
My wife and I visited Ostrom. The owner was a nice guy, showed us around, showed us tanks, etc.. I didn't get too far towards considering them because they use what appeared to be 1/2" x 1/2" glue blocks at ALL of the 90 degree joints. I'm sure this helps with strength but detracts greatly from appearance IMO.

Sinistard
08/22/2005, 06:47 PM
Thank you that’s very good to know. I saw a small tank at AA that had the blocks in the corners and I did not like it at all. That makes my decision mush easier.

I think I am going to get one from socalcreations. Seem like nice guys with a good product.

I called Envision Acrylics and they are more into big tanks like Norms, when I said Columbus he said hey Norm is out there, and did not do much with the size I am looking for.

Hey Dusty what size are you looking to get?

xdusty6920
08/23/2005, 09:00 PM
the measurments im working with are between 144"x37"36" and 180"x37"x36". i know i know, for those of you keeping track thats between 810g-1050g give or take a gallon lol. thats not even adding in the massive sump and fuges im throwing in. yes it will be huge and yes it will be expensive lol. im actually in the process of buying a home and have saved more for this system then the home itself and am planning the basement around the tank. with that said lol, i really would prefer to go with an all glass tank but do to size i dont think it would really be logical due to weight, size, just carrying it and getting it to a basement would be nearly impossible without having it built on site (too expensive). the fact that it wouldnt easily break and it would be movable makes me lean more towards acrylic. this has and will be alot of planning and researching but if everything goes to plan i should have the tank being built before snow. i will be asking alot of opinions on large system flow, lighting, skimming, dsb/bb etc in the near future so all you big tank guys will probably come in handy lol.

thebrian
08/23/2005, 09:05 PM
Forget the Tang Police - you could have the Tang Army.

Why are you putting it in the basement? Wouldn't you get much more enjoyment out of it in a living area? Or are you completely finishing the basement and making it a living area?

~Brian

Bcollins111900
08/23/2005, 09:14 PM
Dusty just wants to keep mermaids, get a pool it would be cheaper.

xdusty6920
08/25/2005, 07:29 PM
thebrian- yes i would love to put it in the living area but do to weight issues and the insane amount of things that could be disasterous with having a tank of that magnitude on one of the upper levels have forced me to the basement. but on the plus side im in the business for it and i pretty much create walls for a living. framing, drywall, skimming, painting ive been doing it all for over 5 years so that leaves me with some sweet options lol. so yes it will be completely finished.
bcollins-why would i use a pool for a tank? poor viewing quality, i think i might use one for a sump though lol.

xdusty6920
08/25/2005, 07:32 PM
i talked to envision today and unfortunately they dont make anything longer then a 120" tank. this is a disappointment and i guess i have to look in another direction. any suggestions?

icu2
08/25/2005, 08:58 PM
Call Coolwhip
Maybe they can hook you up with a GIANT size acrylic bowl.

lol

xdusty6920
08/25/2005, 10:12 PM
already on top of it. they said they could do it but id have to buy it including the whip cream. anyone up for pie?

Bcollins111900
08/25/2005, 10:13 PM
forget a pie... cool whip wrestling with hott chicks!!!!!!!!!! I am the ref!

xdusty6920
08/26/2005, 01:31 AM
you can be the ref if i get to be the opponent lol

thebrian
08/26/2005, 02:29 AM
I wonder if American Plastics would take on this kind of job, and if so, how much they would charge. I know they do fabrication, but I don't think they've ever done aquariums before, so maybe it's not the best idea.

thebrian
08/26/2005, 02:47 AM
http://www.acrylicaquariums.com/ maybe, but I don't know if they go over 120 inches either. I'm guessing it's because that might be the largest acrylic sheets are available in.

~Brian

TacoKing
08/26/2005, 06:50 AM
xdusty6920, just a bit of advice... If you're spending the money on a new house and all the fixings.... I would recommend building an entire fishroom for that tank. You're going to run into problems with weight even with it in the basement. Standard foundation concrete will not support that kind with out rebar reinforcement. If it was me and I had the money I'd buy the house then put on an addition say, off the back. Have this room built with a reinforced concrete floor, ventilation (cause you're going to be evaporating a TON of water), dedicated electrical circuits and the works. This would save you more hassles than I can imagine.

xdusty6920
08/27/2005, 02:58 AM
tacoking- i had thought that over and would love to go that route. unfortunately the tank and system plus the new house will be straining my pockets plenty for a while. i think the route ill go is to rip up a square slighty larger then the tanks footprint and then have that particular area reinforced with rebar. kinda the same thing they do when putting in support posts in the basement.
dedicated circuits are going to be a must and i will have a dedicated wet room as well. i think ill just run an a/c for the system in the wetroom to keep temps low and as for evaporation, im still thinking it through. i dont know if i should run a dehumidifier and connect it to the ro/di waste drain, or just go a whole different route.

xdusty6920
08/27/2005, 03:05 AM
right now though problem number one is finding somone to build this tank. i may just have to go glass with it. this wont disappoint me but will present a whole new set of problems as to how to get it in place.