PDA

View Full Version : Doggie conjunctivitis?

kfisc
08/20/2005, 06:29 PM
Well, we're worried-sick dog parents; the pup started producing a slight, clear discharge late this am, followed by swelling, then a more colored (greenish) discharge; she's can't/won't open her eyes much at this point, but still functions in other ways normally ( i.e. begging for table scraps, bumping us to go outside).

The vet won't be in until tomorrow early a.m., when we're taking her. I've been rinsing with sterile saline solution.

We live in essentially a 2 acre plot of grass surrounded by woods, my guess is allergies- she likes to rubs her head in the grass....Any ideas? thanks!

dinoman
08/20/2005, 06:49 PM
Can't be of any help, but hope she gets better soon! Maybe one of the vets will be on soon :).

catdoc
08/20/2005, 07:42 PM
My ideas: scratched cornea (is the cornea clear or cloudy? cloudy indicates possibe corneal injury), grass seed trapped in the conjunctival sac (pull down her lower lids and see if there's anything there you can rinse away), but if both eyes are affected I'd agree that allergic conjunctivitis is a big possibility (or infectious).

Keep rinsing with the saline eye wash as long as you don't see signs of obvious injury and she's acting happy, get her in for her appointment in the am. Eye injuries are something you want evaluated on emergency if they come up.

kfisc
08/20/2005, 09:19 PM
gosh folks, thanks- will have her in when they open at 8:30- she's sleeping soundly now, (snoring like a sailor)- thanks again-