PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worm = Anenome food

schattke
08/20/2005, 12:09 AM
I had the rare sight of 3" bristle worm crawling up the back glass on my tank.

Since I have a boat load of of them in my tank, I knocked it off the glass and into one of my 6, (used to be one), anemones.
The anenome wrapped it up like any protien morsel and ate it right up.

Very interesting.:eek1:

slcw
08/20/2005, 01:55 AM
anemone are not hunters but opportunitist. it surpurising though that the bristtle got itself so near the anemone.
was there any clowns around?

schattke
08/20/2005, 01:46 PM
Yes, there was a clown near, ME.

I knocked it off with the algae scrapper and the Anemone took care of the rest. The anemone has not come out as much today as the rest of them, but looks all right.
The tank has one large Maroon Clown. He's hanging out today in the one that ate the bristle worm.

LTJGAlex
08/20/2005, 03:16 PM
I have a few bristles that hitched in on a rock of yellow polyps. I don't know what it is but they look disgusting to me. I know it's been pretty much disproven that they're bad, but I'd be happy to have my little condy eat one.

On a related note, I saw a very interesting sight yesterday. I have two tiny red rock anemones attached to a shell. A 1/2inch blue leg hermit was forraging too close to one and it was devoured. I watched it swallow the entire crab, shell and all. I figured it would get spit out when the anemone realized what it was, but nope. It's been digested! This morning the anemone was spewing neon pink strands. Yuck!

showjet98
08/20/2005, 05:21 PM
I had a 6"+ bristleworm I was taking out of my tank with some tweezers a few months back, and it came loose from the tweezers and fell right into my Hadonni, and it gobbled it right up, I think it may have hurt the anemone a little becuase for a few days following its tentacles looked bad. Its back to its huge and healthy self now though:D
Bristleworms scare me:p