PDA

View Full Version : Seabae Anemone Question

Bcollins111900
08/19/2005, 06:59 PM
I am thinking about getting a Sebae Anemone for my reef tank. From what I read they require hight light? I am running 4 watts per gallon of PC's. Also how much do these Sebaes wonder around the tank ot do they find a home quickly? Also I beleive I have Ocellaris Clowns which should host in this anemone correct? I knwo some anemones can cause serious rashes on a human if touched and was also wondering if this was the case for this anemone and how do you go about handling it, latex gloves? Any help would be great....

dragon_slayer
08/19/2005, 07:31 PM
i don't believe in a 'watts per gallon' way of expressing lighting............but with pc's i kept my Sebae for a year under 4x65w of PC in a 29g tank and it colored up well and grew huge, i then swapped to a 250w MH and it did even better. all types of clowns in my systems take to them quite nicely. they do not wonder around at all in my experience as long as you provide them with deep sand to bury up into.

kc

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/512/29872hcrisap.JPG

Bcollins111900
08/19/2005, 10:20 PM
Picked up a White Sebae tonight from Aqaurium Adventure, it was only $17. Figured what the heck I will try it. So far it is on the sand bed looking for a place to call home.

xdusty6920
08/20/2005, 11:47 AM
sebaes dont wonder too much. ive kept mine under pc's and halides and both work. did you get one thats been bleached? if its all white then thats probably the case. the next few months will be critical. once its starts taking on a light brown tinge, its a good sign. they are naturally that color and its a sign of good health. oh, and for me they dont sting. ive heard it more depends on the person then the anemone. ive handle carpets,sebaes,rbtas,etc and never felt anything but others have been zapped pretty good. if you wanted to use gloves id get some of those yellow kitchen gloves, give them a good rinse inside and out with hot water.

dragon_slayer
08/20/2005, 12:01 PM
did you get one thats been bleached? if its all white then thats probably the case.

all H Crispa anemones are 'bleached' when collected and brought into captivity. it's their natural defense which expels all their zoo, they are not bleached by a collector/importer/lfs.

kc

xdusty6920
08/20/2005, 12:46 PM
lol i know. if the sebae has only been in for a week or so then it will still be bleached. if its sat in there system for a while its brown tinge will have returned. the brown tinge is the zooanthallae (sp?). shoulda been more specific on what caused the bleaching. i didnt know that they all did that though. because ive seen new sebaes in lfs's that havent been bleached.

dragon_slayer
08/20/2005, 01:08 PM
sorry for the misunderstanding on your wording, you said 'thats been bleached' not 'that has bleached' and some LFS do take naturally bleached anemones and die them with yellow or green die sometimes.

ones found in the LFS that are not completely white with purple tips have been in captivity for a while under tank conditions most often and then shipped overnight to your LFS where they aren't stressed to the point of expelling the zoo. under ideal conditions and healthy the anemone will be be more what i'd call dark brown not just a tinge of brown :)

have a great day
kc

xdusty6920
08/20/2005, 02:15 PM
i should put thats been bleached by shipping. when i re-read it i saw what you ment.
how dark are they supposed to get? ive had mine about a year or so and its about the color of beach sand. should it be more like the color of dirt? do you have a pic? thanks

dragon_slayer
08/20/2005, 02:55 PM
the above post has a pic in it. and yes they are dirt color.

kc

Bcollins111900
08/20/2005, 04:29 PM
The one I got is a neon yellow color with a bright purple spot on the tip of each arm. I think it has already found a good home on the other side of the tank where the Acan Lords are not kept (thank god)!!!

bluehippotang
08/20/2005, 04:31 PM
Mine has its foot buried in a hole in a piece of live rock near the top of the tank. It has not moved in almost 16 months. The only time that it has actually moved was when we moved 600 miles down here.

dragon_slayer
08/21/2005, 12:57 PM
neon yellow is unfortunately one of the died ones as mentioned above, they aren't as likely to survive but it's not unheard of.

as for yours hippo they are sand dwelling anemones who prefer to be buried in the sandbed, if it's up on a rock then it's most likely reaching for the light.

kc

Reefbone
08/21/2005, 01:36 PM
Go to http://www.wetwebmedia.com/index.html for a ton of great info on these and all animals. I was thinking of getting one but after a good read , I decided it might not be the best idea. Good luck.

BTW - Dragons looks amazing. I'll bet he feeds it often.

dragon_slayer
08/21/2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Reefbone

BTW - Dragons looks amazing. I'll bet he feeds it often.

Thanks, but you'd be right surprised how little and not so often i directly feed it. as you can see in the pic when fully expanded it's over 14" across and takes up the entire side of that 29g system. directly target feeding gives more growth which i really wasn't wanting at that time.

that tank was getting close to 20 yrs old when a few weeks back the silicone decided to spring a link, which i'm sure the hermits helped with, so i had to drain the tank and i moved it to the 180 where it has plenty of room to grow so i may pick up on the feedings again.

kc

ANGELREEF
08/21/2005, 03:19 PM
Is it much safer to buy anemone already attached to a stone? I have seen lfs selling them every time. I had already experienced this floating animone. Unfortunately landed on my elegance coral and almost killed it. If they are not attached, they float around until it find a place. You have to be carefull and watch it all the time before it really settled.

Bcollins111900
08/21/2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah the sebae has infact attached itself to a rock and has gotten huge and eating well. I will keep everyone posted but so far so good, nock on wood.

thebrian
08/21/2005, 08:19 PM
Picture?

cadams
08/22/2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by ANGELREEF
Is it much safer to buy anemone already attached to a stone? I have seen lfs selling them every time. I had already experienced this floating animone. Unfortunately landed on my elegance coral and almost killed it. If they are not attached, they float around until it find a place. You have to be carefull and watch it all the time before it really settled.

IMO, it doesn't make a diffrence. The only reason I would prefer to buy it still attached to a rock is peace of mind that its foot hasn't been damaged by removing it and placing it in a bag. Once you put the anemone in an all new environment, they can let go of the rock pretty easily and wander around. Theres no way to really prevent this behavior. Your best bet is to arrange your tank in a fashion that caters to that specific anemone's prefered habitat, and give it room to roam around before it settles.

ANGELREEF
08/22/2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Bcollins - How did you really do it. Did you "best bet is to arrange your tank in a fashion that caters to that specific anemone"s prefered habitat, give it room to roam around" or coach it to land someplace else? I could imagine how full is your tank with corals and the strong water flow. Please explain. Thanks Angelo

Bcollins111900
08/22/2005, 09:05 PM
Iam trying to obtain the gf's parents difital cam as it is alot better than mine. I just acclimated the sebae for a good hour and dropped him in there. In less than 24hrs it had attached to a rock at the bottomn left side of my tank right where the sand meets the rock work. It has not moved since Sat and has eaten. It has also opened up quite a bit as well. My tank has a 700GPH return and it is a 55gallon that has 28 corals in it (trust me it is packed). I was just lucky enough for it to find a spot and there it remains.It has all the room in the wold to move if it wanted to. Funny thing is they say sebeas need alot of light, it has found it's home in a place that has a shadow casted on it, kind of odd.

cadams
08/23/2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Bcollins111900
Iam trying to obtain the gf's parents difital cam as it is alot better than mine. I just acclimated the sebae for a good hour and dropped him in there. In less than 24hrs it had attached to a rock at the bottomn left side of my tank right where the sand meets the rock work. It has not moved since Sat and has eaten. It has also opened up quite a bit as well. My tank has a 700GPH return and it is a 55gallon that has 28 corals in it (trust me it is packed). I was just lucky enough for it to find a spot and there it remains.It has all the room in the wold to move if it wanted to. Funny thing is they say sebeas need alot of light, it has found it's home in a place that has a shadow casted on it, kind of odd.

almost every anemone i've seen, no matter the type, hides for the first week or so. be watchful as it may start looking for more light once its more comfortable with the water.