PDA

View Full Version : Something eating my featherduster????

Tina
02/18/2002, 11:24 PM
ffw to message below, have discovered problem

I noticed some recession in the tube of one of my featherdusters a few days ago. Something has been munching on the tube which houses the featherduster. The rest of the tube is brown, but in one area, the brown has been scraped away to reveal a dark purply surface.

The feather duster has been on full display until today. Now it's mostly retracted. When I brushed something up against it, it immediately retracted fully inside the tube. It's come out again about 1/4 inch.

My other feather duster which is only a few inches away is fine. I've never noticed anything eating on the featherdusters [they're on the liverock, midway up the tank].

I have a yellow tang, coral beauty, orange spotted goby, 2 tomato clowns and a pseudochromis, 2 cleaner shrimp, emerald crab [who I haven't seen in a while], snowflake eel and a brittle starfish.

Discovered that it's my beauty who's munching on the feather duster! she used to eat up all the algae when I had trouble with that [before RO water].

I have now moved the feather duster to a safer spot where the beauty doesn't have very good access to the tube. The fd has extended its feathers, they look a little ratty.

I also got a good look at the damage and it's pretty severe, will the worm be able to regenerate the tube?

rshimek
02/19/2002, 12:30 PM
Hi Tina,

The feather duster tubes are proteinaceous, so this may be a "good" food for the beauty.

The worm continually secreates them when it is exposed. As long as the worm has enough food, it will repair any damage, providing said damage is not too extreme.