PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my MH heighth

johnnstacy
08/16/2005, 03:07 PM
I have a rather tall enclosed canopy and for the sake of venting heat, I recessed my PFO pendants into the top of the canopy so that the heat vented outside. Works well but I'm concerned about the heighth of these fixtures from the corals. They are 400W DE 20k's. From bulb to corals is 22" at the highest corals and 37" to the lowest corals.
Most of my corals are SPS and they are losing some color. A couple are even browning out. Do you feel like the height of these fixtures might have something to do with it?

Azurel
08/16/2005, 04:35 PM
I was told to put my MH lights no more then 12-14 inchs from the top of the water max. I have Hamilton 14k 250 watts on a 40gal long. I had my lights about 4 inchs at first and stuff was stressing then went to 6 and stuff was still stressing but at 11'' every thing is doing great and has colored up. I would say lower the lights about 6 inchs maybe you will still have to reacclimate the corals to the closer light.

dnjan
08/16/2005, 09:43 PM
If you have decent reflectors, the height the bulbs are above the water will have practically no effect. Distance the corals are below the water surface will have a significantly greater effect.