PDA

View Full Version : Anthias in a 40G BR?

LiteEmUpGood
08/15/2005, 02:44 PM
I am planning my 40g BR tank that will be a BB reef tank and I am considering the livestock for it. I am looking into anthias and would like to hear all of your opinons on them. Most of the fish debates here are over tangs or what trigger wont kill my tank. I am looking into a colorful anthia. Threadfins (Nemanthias carberryi) max out at 3.9in. The Fathead Anthias also known as hawkfish Anthias ( serranocirrhitus latus) look nice also. Unfortunatly the Squareback ones get too big for a 40. Lyretails are also nice.
A small group is what I am looking for and would like some feedback on this. If this cant happen theres always the flasher wrasses for this tank, and tangs.........lol

Ochi
08/15/2005, 03:25 PM
No you can't have a group of anthias in a tank that small.

LiteEmUpGood
08/15/2005, 09:58 PM
A pair?

KDodds
08/15/2005, 10:43 PM
IMO, no, not even one, unless it's Plectranthias, which isn't classicly Anthias-like anyway. They need a LOT of room to move, and a lot of rockwork to feel secure.

pnsnowboard
08/15/2005, 10:47 PM
would 3 work in a 90 gallon?

KDodds
08/15/2005, 10:58 PM
IMO, almost all Pseudanthias and Nemanthias should have 6' tanks (at least) and be kept in shoals of no less than 7 individuals (at least 6 females for every male). Smaller species and less active species (Fathead, Hawai'ian Longfin) MIGHT be okay in a 90, but not as a trio, IMO.

LiteEmUpGood
08/16/2005, 09:38 AM
Sigh... I had a fealing. O well I guess its on to flasher wrasses and fairy wrasses. Maybe a trio of Acessors? But the wrasses seem to be my best bet. I am even think of getting a Wartskin angler and no fish. The only problem is he may eat my harlequins and fire shrimp.

KDodds
08/16/2005, 09:54 AM
A warty will definitely eat your shrimp, it's just a matter of when. If keeping Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus, make sure that you have tight-fitting covers. Of 3 Fairies and 7 Flashers I've kept, all eventually made the leap THROUGH eggcrate, including a 4" Pyle's that I found dried up behind the 180 when I moved to the 450.

LiteEmUpGood
08/16/2005, 01:41 PM
Wow! All of em? Were they spooked by something or just have an urge to jump. I have a Dartfish in my 10g nano and the only time he has jumped is when my hand is in there and he gets spooked. Then he jumps hit my lights and falls back into the tank. Only once did he land out side of it. But WOW i cant believe they got through the eggcrate..

Phyl
08/16/2005, 01:55 PM
I initially had my anthias in a 30g (with 10g sump). They started in there as a QT environment. They did far better in there than they did once they were moved to my 120. Once moved they became introverts and less active. I had 3 lyretail females and 1 male as well as one F bimaculatus. Now I only ever see 1m &1f lyretail and the f bimaculatus.

KDodds
08/16/2005, 02:00 PM
IF a Fairy or Flasher CAN get through, IME, it will eventually get through. I doubt they were "spooked". The Pyle's, for instance, was in for roughly 3 years with the same fish and no changes. I found all 7 Flashers on the eggcrate in back of the hood eventually. Some made it into overflows (and one even down into the sump) before their ultimate deaths on the top. The Rubriventralis I found on the top as well. The Pyle's I found as already stated and the last was an unidentified (possibly rubrisquammis related) Fairy that I found behind the tank roughly 3 or 4 weeks after it was added. I added the Flashers all at once and just watched them slowly "disappear". The other 2 Fairies were added about 6-9 months apart, with the Rubriventralis beng first. He was in for a good two years before he went over.

LiteEmUpGood
08/16/2005, 02:20 PM
Sorry for the losses. With all of that being said do you have any more of these/ willing to try them again?

My eye was on Lineatus ( http://www.marinedepotlive.com/australian-linneatus-wrasse---cirrhilabrus-linneatus-fish--wrasses.html) , those are just too beautiful and I might have been willing to really splurge on a fish like that. But that is a fish you definitly do not to be seeing on the floor. Also, I am not planning on a glass top, so unless I can Figure out another way to prevent the jumping you would advise against them correct?

Guess I may be looking into Accessors.

KDodds
08/16/2005, 02:39 PM
It's been a while, but thanks. If you can rig a secure cover, heck, I say go for it. They're all pretty hardy and great fish. You might do well by wrapping eggcrate in nylon screening even. I would advise against Flashers and Fairies completely in any tanks where there is even the remotest chance of their jumping out, yes.

Assessors are cool, but not very active. Just a heads up.

LiteEmUpGood
08/16/2005, 07:19 PM
So what do you reccomend for an attractive, active, and safe fish for a 40g BR reef?

KDodds
08/16/2005, 07:36 PM
Does it have to be all three? :)

Actually, are you set on a pair/harem or shoal? Or just looking at individuals? What other tankmates are on your list? Do you have a "must have" species?

LiteEmUpGood
08/16/2005, 10:46 PM
LOL optimally.

I would like a shoal, but I dont think that it is possible. Individuals may be my last resort I have damsels in a 20L right now and depending on if I keep them those would be the other fishy tankmates. Ill also be having shrimps in there as well as a reef.

No must have because my must have may jump out of the tank.

KDodds
08/16/2005, 11:02 PM
How about Chalk Bass? Classic shoalers aren't really a decent choice for such a small tank as they require a bit of room and rock (Chromis, Anthias, Butterflies, Tangs). Then, there are Flame Cardinals. Assessors would do well, too. But, none of those are overly active.