PDA

View Full Version : I don't quite understand...

Avian
08/14/2005, 09:41 PM
I've posted before about this issue with my black ocellaris pair, and it still continues today...this is why I don't understand.

I've had my ORA CB female black ocellaris since early January. To this day she and her ORA CB male counterpart (which I've had since late March) have show signs of stringy feces. They don't display it everyday, and they have had various types of feces (e.g., powerdery reddish brown, to a clumpy brown, brown and stringy, and stringy and white).

When they were in my display I fed them spectrum thera-A, mysis w/ garilc and mysis with metroindolzale (for three days), and pepso food per directions indicated on the package. None of these foods/meds made the feces consistant (still white and stringy on occasion). Early on, I also gave it a couple f months were I did not treat them at all to see if it would clear up on its own.

They have been in my 10g QT twice for the months of June and August (In July I moved them back to the display to see if it was a water quality issue). In June I treated with two cycles of pipzine in the water, and one cycle of hex-a-mit, in the water). In August I treated them with prazipro and maracyn 2 in the water. Note that In between each type of medication I ran carbon for at least 48 hours and did a 50 % water change to avoid mixing meds.

They have been very active this whole time, utilizing all levels of the reef (I have even observed the female biting on rocks). Their breathing is normal, and have clear eyes, great color and fins are always erect. They are and have always been hearty eaters, being fed 1-3 times a day. The female and male have also grown considerably (~1inch) since Jan. and the female's face has gone from a bright orange to almost completey black. If they did not have the strange feces I would consider them perfectly fine.

They are fed frozen mysis, frozen spiralina enriched brine shrimp, formula 2 pellets, formula 1 flake, spectrum thera-A pellets, hikari marine-S pellet, steamed broccali flower tops, and cylop-eeze. All foods have been soaked in Zoe (heavy spiralina formula) and Zoecon and sometimes garlic.

The parameters in the display:

Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nirate: 0
pH: 8.2
salinity: 1.026
temp: 80-81

The 10g QT has the same parameters except the salinity is ~1.024 and the nitrates may creep up to no more than 5-10.

I have tried to contact some research institutions for examinations; Florida tech, Harbor branch, ORA, and have had no luck. (Harbor branch and ORA are about 20 minutes away from my house and i would be willing to drive there and pay for a fecal examination).

I really like these fish and want them to live a long life and eventually breed. What should my next move be. Move them back to the display? Keep them in QT longer? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Amphiprion
08/14/2005, 09:54 PM
To be honest, if you have had them as long as you have, and they are doing well, then I would not be quite as concerned. I dont bother examining feces unless there are other visible problems (emaciation, gaping, etc.). I suggest that you give em a break from the meds and constant fidgeting and put them in your tank so they can lead happy lives. It is hard, and certain things try your patience, but sometimes its best to just relax and enjoy the fact that you have gotten them (or at least one) past the six month mark. As far as the cause of your query, I don't really know why this is occurring.

Avian
08/14/2005, 11:50 PM
So you think that if anything was seriously ailing them, it would have affected them prior to the 6 month mark, especially with all that they have gone through?

Kelmen
08/15/2005, 05:12 AM
Maybe something helping them suppressing the internal problem. You may try add on some antibiotic or medicine into the food for them.

Amphiprion
08/15/2005, 09:42 AM
kelmen, I think hes already been doing that. Unfortunately, I dont have a "good" answer. It has been my experience that a fish with an internal infection of any sort will not last for the length of time yours have. Now, on the other hand, a fish with internal damage from an infection may live for a while, exhibiting difficulties in eating, digestion,buoyancy etc. But it still doesnt sound like your fish have any of this,though. on another note, fish have digestional "burps", upsets, and small cycles just like humans do. It is never going to look perfect every time. If anyone else has suggestions, I would also be eager to hear it.

Avian
08/15/2005, 04:58 PM
Kelman - Thanks for the thought, but I have tried every medication known to "cure" internal infections.

Amphiprion - I agree with the fish not lasting long with internal infections. In fact, I spoke with a trusted LFS owner and a marine biologist, who studies aquaria, and both said that if there was a serious issue the it would have killed them or affected some aspect of their life. Neither of which is the case.What got me so concerned was the fact that ever thread on reefcentral never faltered on their opinion of string feces. They are great fish, eagerly meeting me at the front of the tank everytime I walk into the room. Thanks for your time.

Any one else?

Kelmen
08/21/2005, 10:23 PM
I wonder would a sparse feeding + medicine may help purge the internal parasites? Assuming the things are feeding off the food.

If they feed on the fish, this can quicken the fish death though.