PDA

View Full Version : How to increase sump volume

NeuroLarry
08/12/2005, 11:52 AM
Finished plumbing my 240 in tank with the sump/ refugium in the basement. The sump portion of the refugium is marginal. That is if I turn off the pumps the sump fills to the brim. I would like to add more sump volume with the least amount of plumbing revision. Can I simply connect another sump to the sump portion of the refugium with a couple of bulkheads so they communicate freely? I think if they communicate at the bottom it should work. Any thoughts? Thanks

ledford1
08/12/2005, 02:00 PM
If I understand correctly, that's about how my sump works. I couldn't fit one long tank under the stand due to the braces, so I had to get two tanks. I had the two tanks drilled for bulkheads under the water line. I have two 1.25" bulkheads and PVC connecting the two tanks. So yeah, as long as the proper sized bulkheads are used, it should be fine.

HTH

NeuroLarry
08/12/2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks that's what I thought.

ONEMANBAND
08/12/2005, 02:36 PM
might put a powerhead near one of the connecting tubes to keep it fresh.

NeuroLarry
08/12/2005, 04:08 PM
Yep I thought about that too thanks

exoticaquatix
08/12/2005, 05:36 PM
why not just put your return pump in the other sump. that way water is always flowing through the 2 sumps with out "dead spots". you could even turn one into a refugium if you had space. put all you equipment in the first one and add baffles to the second one to make it a refugium. just a thought.
~nick

exoticaquatix
08/12/2005, 05:38 PM
oops, didnt re-read the original post, you already have a refugium. NM that idea. :) i guess you could still just make one tank a dedicated sump the other a refugium.

NeuroLarry
08/13/2005, 04:43 AM
I had considered that, and that is probably the best way to do it, but due to the way I have things plumbed would require major revision. Thanks

I went to school on "balmer" hopkins '73

NeuroLarry
08/14/2005, 04:38 AM
Decided to do it right, hooked the old sump to the new and plumbed it into my system. Works great. Thanks all