PDA

View Full Version : Chiller setpoints

Dargason
08/12/2005, 11:33 AM
Hey all -- it's been a while.

First, let me just say that this question isn't really reef related, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I've set aside reef-keeping while I do a bunch of remodeling on my house. I'm still brewing beer, though, and I've just purchased some fermenters. I'm investigating various ways to control the temperature, and I thought of the marine chillers. Compared to many of my other options (refrigerators, glycol chiller, etc) they are inexpensive and quiet (some of them).

What I'm considering doing is getting a marine chiller and using it to recirculate glycol (or salt water) through cooling coils around the fermenter. To do this, however, the chiller would have to maintain a temperature setpoint around 30F. I can't think of a reason why they couldn't operate at 30F, I just don't know if the program in the temperature controller will allow you to set it that way.

For those of you who have chillers, do you know what the minimum setpoint is? Is there anything in the owners manual to indicate a minimum operating temperature?

Thanks,
Mike