PDA

View Full Version : help me out with the whole alk/cal/Buffer

fish-freek-3000
08/11/2005, 11:20 PM
I have been doing research on the three listed above. From what I have read there are two ways to control, first Kalkwasser, and second a calcium reactor. Which is better. With Kalk I mix it up and drip it. With a reactor it runs of a ph controller. How do I control the levels of alk. and cal. I assume this is buy buffering. but how do i buffer. I would prefer to not add chemicals every weak. Help me out I am confused. oh what is orp?

fish-freek-3000
08/12/2005, 12:00 AM
bump

jbanks
08/12/2005, 12:30 AM
A calcium reactor would be your best bet. A little pricey at first but it pays for itself after a while. Both CRs' and Kalk add ALK and Cal in a balanced manner. However, The nice thing about a CR is that it less messy than working with Kalk and it also replenishes many trace elements in addition to the alk and calcium. Using a ph controller with the reactor is a sure fire way of keeping the PH in the reactor at the proper ph for the type of media you are using. Dense CR media like "Schuran" requires a lower ph(6.3) while other media like "ARM" only requires 6.6 to 6.8). Dosing Kalk can do the job too but it requires a bit more work than CR unless you have a Kalk reactor hooked up to an automatic top-off system. Many hobbyist use kalk in addition to a CR in order to keep the ph from dropping at night.

One very important thing to remember is that either way you go, you need to make sure that your Cal and ALk levels are where you want them before you start using Kalk or a CR. Both methods assist you to maintain the existing levels, not to raise levels or to bring both into balance.

Be careful using buffer, you can really thow your levels out of whack if you are not careful.

If price is an issue and you need a now solution, you can use B-ionic 2 part additive or C-Balance. These options are cheaper up front but can become more expnsive than adding a CR in the long run. You dose these products in equal portoins daily according to the coral/clam load in your tank to help maintain levels.

Also, if you find that you are having trouble getting your calcium up, more than likely your magnesium level is low and will need to come up before you can get your calcium up. A salifert Magnesium kit should definately be on you rwant list if you don't already have one.

I hope this information helps......

fish-freek-3000
08/12/2005, 01:01 AM
I looked at prices of cr. and have decided to go with kalk. this would keep the cal/alk stable correct. If so what is the point of a buffer, ph. I am going to premix kalk and use a dosing pump at night this would keep the ph stable theoretically. If money isn't an issue and a buffer is still need then how would I buffer.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/12/2005, 06:47 AM
There are lots of good ways to supplement calcium and alkalinity. I choose to use limewater, but several methods have advantages and disadvantages that may best suit your needs and budget.

I compare methods in this article:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

you can also make your own two part system:

A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm