PDA

View Full Version : Want to see if this is a good set-up...

swenard
08/11/2005, 10:27 PM
I decided to build my own canopy as I couldn't find any fixtures that suit what I want to do and I also want to be able to upgrade without having to buy a whole new fixture when I buy a 180G next year. So I am going to order some lighting tomorrow before I build the canopy so I can test fit every thing as I build it.

I want to make sure I order good products that will complement each other though, so I would like some opinions.

First of all, this will be going on a 55G, 4' long, 19" deep. I want to keep my options open for keeping anything in my tank. I love the look of clams and I also want to get an anemone. I understand they need great lighting. I also can't afford to get MH's right now, so I am going to build it so that I can add them in a couple of months (after my wedding)

So, here is what I am looking at so far...

An Icecap 660 flourescent ballast (leaves my options open to run any light)
Icecap Waterproof end-caps (T5 and VHO to leave my options open)
Moonlights (Icecap has a cool two light w/reflector one)
2 Icecap 4" fans

Will add...

2 Icecap 250W MH ballasts
2 HQI DE sockets
I will only use two flourescents when I add the MH's.

My questions are:

1. What flourescent bulbs? Not necessarily manufacturers(although that info would be appreciated) but what bulbs? VHO? T5? Both? and what Kelvin ratings to complement each other. I was thinking two actinics and two 10000K.

2. How far off of the water should I build the canopy for the future upgrade to MH?

3. What's this talk about needing a UV glass between the HQI's and the water and where do I find something like that?

4. What reflectors?

5. Would I be better off going with SE MH bulbs or DE ones?

Thank-you for any responses I get!