PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Recommendation Needed!

ethornton3rd
08/11/2005, 02:12 PM
I have a 75 Gallon Reef Tank. I had an internal sump filter with skimmer. (One that sits inside the tank itself inside a big box) Not only does it take up room but it does not do a good job at all. I rarely get anything out of the skimmer unless the water level is perfect. My corals have never thrived and usally waste away over time.

So I just ordered an AquaC Remora Pro Hang-On Protein Skimmer w/ Drain Fitting + Mag-Drive 3 Pump. I have live rock in the tank of course and sand substrate. I will be removing the internal thing giving more room and relying on the skimmer.

But do I also need to get another filter for cleaning the water itself or am I good to go? If I need to get another filter what should i get?

drock59
08/11/2005, 02:31 PM
melevsreef.com

You need to do some homework. I would recomend as big of a sump as you can fit under your stand. Put your skimmer and build a refugium into the sump.

I hate to say it but i hate my aqua C remora, i hope you have better luck than i did. If you dont like it consider looking into an ASM G2 or G3. They are cheaper than a lot of skimmer, but do a good job.

As long as you have decent flow in the tank, a fuge and a decent skimmer, that should cover "filtration"

dougchambers
08/11/2005, 02:33 PM
Welcome to Reef Central...

You should be good to go. A high quality skimmer (open to debate on the Remora) and a good regiment of water changes should be a vast improvement over your old system.

-Doug