PDA

View Full Version : Bug Spray and stuff

TacoKing
08/11/2005, 12:02 PM
So, I've got some bug problems at my place.. I've got some good inseciticide to use and I plan on spraying it on my trees, the perimiter of my house and other locations. Hopefully get rid of some of those spiders and the other suckers that are killing my plants... I don't plan on spraying inside.

What should I do about my tank? Should I worry? I plan on turning off the skimmer and keeping a lot of carbon ready to run. Anything else? Should I even really worry?

porky
08/11/2005, 12:10 PM
If you are just spraying outside I don't think you have too much to worry about... just so long as not too much of it drifts into an open window.
Are you talking about house plants? What makes you think that spiders are messing with the plants?
Only spiders I know that pester house plants Spider Mites and the only way you are gong to get Spider Mites under control is to treat the plant directly? Spider mites have to be treated with a contact type killer for several sessions to lick 'em.
Are you noticing webs in or around plant leaves?

prance1520
08/11/2005, 12:15 PM
I'm definately no expert, but I'll generate some conversation. Why turn off the skimmer?

I would think the carbon would be a good idea, although I'm not really sure if pesticides are organic or not.

Most of all, if you aren't drawing air in from the outside thats going straight into the tank, I would think you would be fine. I'm assuming you'd close the windows and such while you did this. I mean, if you are worried about enough of it getting into the tank, maybe you should be worried about yourself. The only thing I've ever seen that comes close is Randy Holmes Farley talking about finding another way to get non-CO2 rich air into your house when you live in an area that does mesquito sprayings. I don't know where it was but I'll see if I can find it for you.

hollback
08/11/2005, 12:26 PM
If you are just spraying outside you have nothing to worry about. I have an exterminator spray quarterly in my entire house, even right around my tank with no problems. They bombed once and made me turn off and cover my tanks for 2 hours but I didn't notice any problems. I think you will be fine.

TacoKing
08/11/2005, 12:31 PM
Ahh, forgot to mention, my skimmers input is outside.. That's the reasoning for turning off the skimmer.

Turn it off, spray nothing to worry about.. Sounds like a plan.
-Rob

icu2
08/11/2005, 02:12 PM
Organophosphates (insecticides)- bad for bugs, bad for reefs

Bcollins111900
08/11/2005, 07:41 PM
Get a granular product by Spectraside called Triazicide. Best stuff on the market for the retail consumer (replaced Diazinon). You can pick it up at any Lowes. Fairly cheap to $12-$15 bucks for a 35lb bag. Works great for killing pretty much everything. A liquid insecticide tends to was away with rain and loose it's effect unlike a granular that is a time release. Use to be a depart manager of outside lawn and garden for lowes and always recomended the stuff.