PDA

View Full Version : G4 Help

slavearm
08/11/2005, 11:05 AM
Ok don't bash me, but I did buy the G4 before I discovered the ASM Skimmer Club :sad2: I really would have just cut a small chunk from the stand to make room for the G4x. Anyways, so my G4 is kinda sucking. So I decided to make some changes. Upgraded to a G4x and moved it from 8.5" of water to 6.5" of water.

The problem is, it seems like I am getting even less fine bubbles and throughput from the 9000 that I was from the 5000. In all fairness, the skimmer is a couple inches higher. Also, I had to use a reducer elbow from 1" to 3/4" on the 9000 to make it mate up with the 3/4" intake on my skimmer. Any ideas? Maybe get a 1" uniseal and redrill it so I can use a 1" connection to reduce some head?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Slavearm

keebler1
08/11/2005, 11:50 AM
Maybe you could make it recirculate. You can get some ideas as well as the uniseals to do it here:

http://www.asmskimmer.com/

there is also a forum there to post in and browse that may help

slavearm
08/11/2005, 12:51 PM
Seems like the largest Uniseals they sell are 1". Know where I can get 1.5" if I decide to go for a recirc mod (my drains are all 1.5"). Also, I have never had ANY luck finding flexible tubing larger than 1.25" and would probably need to at least be able to get some flex tubing to connect my drain to the skimmer if I am going to do the recirc mod action.

Any other options other than recirc? And if I decide to recirc, is the 9000 even necessary anymore, or should I just go ahead and use my 5000?

Thanks,

Slavearm

slavearm
08/11/2005, 01:28 PM
Whoa!!! I did not upgrade to a G4x... I upgraded the pump to a sedra 9000... man my accuracy in typing from brain to the fingers is really sucking today.

keebler1
08/11/2005, 02:02 PM
No idea where to get the larger uniseal but noting that asmskimmer.com does the modifications to the skimmers themselves-- they may know or just not have them listed. To do the mod doesnt mean it has to be fed from your overflow. You could just have another feed pump like a maxijet 1200 and continue to have your overflows dumping in the sump.

As for what to do now with what you have. I would say stick with the 9000 as I have read that is the way to fix the "underpowered G4". Check to make sure the venturi isnt clogged especially at the flexible tube section. I would set the water level right at the base of the neck where the first O ring is and turn that sucker on. I have the G3 and have yet to have an issue with it after several weeks. Maybe someone else can offer better advice that is more familiar with the G4.

The only other thought would be from when I was making skimmers, I found that sometimes you can suck in too much air. Maybe try putting an air valve on the air intake and slowly open it until the mix looks good and bubbles are fine.

daytonreefRob
08/14/2005, 08:50 PM
Do you still the have the Sedra 5000 that came with it? if so, and providing you have the room in your sump try this:

Recirc the Sedra 9000 and use the Sedra 5000 in the "normal" way. This will all you to feed the skimmer with the Sedra 5000 and the Sedra 9000 will just provide better bubbles. This thing would be a beast in the configuration.

slavearm
08/15/2005, 03:37 PM
Man my electric bill already went up 220 bux from this aquarium. I really don't want to run anymore pumps than necessary. It actually worked pretty well after moving the 9000 to a more hostpitable location (there was too much air in the water from the drain). Now it works great... of course, I already ordered a bigger skimmer hahahah.

Slavearm

Whaledriver
08/15/2005, 06:10 PM
definitly try to put a air valve on the intake air befor you do anything else. It sounds like you are getting bigger bubbles from to much air input. It is a great way to dial in this type of skimmer. The recirc mod is nice but dont try it just because you cant get this one to work the way it is. Good luck.

Whaledriver
08/15/2005, 06:12 PM
Send me a PM if you want to sell the ASM with the Sedra 9000.

What skimmer did you order to replace this one?