PDA

View Full Version : 250W 14K Hamilton DE aging....

Freeskier98
08/11/2005, 08:48 AM
Ive had this bulb for about 6 months, running off an ARO electric HQI ballast.

Just recently my tank went through a cyano outbreak. Nothing in the tank has changed, no excess feeding, nothing. I attributed the outbreak to the lights, as it seemed to lose 50% intensity, as well as a spectrum shift toward lowerK

Did some waterchanges, reduced feedings... everything was better again.

But now the bulbs seems to brighter than it has even been. As well as an increase in coral growth (2x better) I really like the color now too. It has develped a bluer hue to it.

I know this sounds like a high nutrient situation, but I still suspect the bulb.

Its almost as if bulb is getting better as it ages. It did initially have that low curve but now is on its way back up. As of right now it is brighter and a better color than it was when I got it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

dwdenny
08/11/2005, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you bulb was just burning in the first go around. They will do funny things. I have even heard of high k bulbs burning slightly yellow and when 100 hrs or so hit they were bluer again. most MH on eballast should last 12-14 months I would think.HTH

Freeskier98
08/11/2005, 09:10 AM
My bulb had about 2000hrs on it before this happened. I did notice an initial burn in period where it did brighten up. From then on it has been downhill, that is up until recently.

I've heard of others having their Hamilton Bulbs randomly explode on them. Im a little nervous right now :eek1:

dwdenny
08/11/2005, 09:22 AM
Wow. I would look at Sanjays work on this site http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/ and see what bulbs will work with your ballast. I would take a look at the Phoenix bulbs I have heard good things about them.

Freeskier98
08/11/2005, 09:26 AM
Exactly the bulb I will be replacing this one with. I was about to order it before I noticed the improvements.

I just cannot see myself removing this bulb while everything is just going so well. Ive noticed some huge growths over the past month. Who knows how much longer this one will last though.
*Figers crossed*