PDA

View Full Version : What can i keep with this light??

pitt_prodigy
08/11/2005, 01:54 AM
Hi all,
I was going to start a FOWLR, but i would also like the option of adding a few easy, medium-lo light/flow corals. So far the only ones im really considering are Purple mushroom, a RTBA (for my maroon clown), and possibly some frogspawn. I havent bought lighting yet but im leaning towards this one:http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F52/Class/Fish+Supplies+Lighting+Fixtures/T1/F52+0434+0005/EDP/42626/Itemdy00.aspx

My tanks is a 72g bowfront and is 23" deep. I plan on having 80lbs. + in LR. I dont plan on keeping anything like clams or hi light corals for a while (years).

What corals could i possible keep with this light? Could i keep what i listed above? Is it a good deal or no? Suggestions greatly appreciated!:D :D :D

spazz
08/11/2005, 02:39 AM
for the money i would go with a vho retro kit and build a small hood for the top of the tank. you would be able to keep those corals with vho lights. its a toss up with the pc's. they dont penetrate the water like vho's do.

pitt_prodigy
08/11/2005, 03:17 AM
thanks for the reply spazz.... only problem is that i cant find a VHO retro kit. Any idea where i could dig up what your referring too?

dwdenny
08/11/2005, 08:26 AM
www.hellolights.com
www.marinedepot.com
and check out the sponsors list tons of vendors with retros.

Steven Pro
08/11/2005, 08:29 AM
That is not a bad fixture and would be fine for what you want to keep, but I agree with the others. I am not a fan of PC lighting. I much prefer VHO to PC. For another vendor, check out www.championlighting.com

thrlride
08/11/2005, 08:45 AM
I agree with everyone else on the lighting issue.

If you're handy and can make the canopy you could almost get metal halides for the same price.

two magnetic ballasts: $100
two SE bulbs: $120
two reflectors with moguls: $60

pitt_prodigy
08/11/2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions/help! I am fairly new to marine aquariums (9 months of study, countless books, and hundreds of hours on this site) and much of what i have bought/learned comes from the hobbiests at this site.
The DIY'er in me is definitely interested in building... but this will be greatly limited on how easily i can attain the supplies. For me the build is the easy part (have plenty of tools)... getting the right stuff for the job is what is difficult. I kinda wanted to stay away from MH right away (gotta leave something for later!!) due mostly to heat buildup, as i dont think my Oceanic canopy would deal with it well without some sort of exhaust fan. But anyway...thanks for the ideas.
If anyone else has input... please post, i greatly appreciate it!

pitt_prodigy
08/11/2005, 11:02 PM
Dwdenny and stevenpro... thanks again for the links. Ok, how bout this retro kit from hellolights : http://www.hellolights.com/4654lamvhore.html

I figured the cost with...
2 - 10,000k's VHO
1 - super actinic VHO
1 - 50/50 VHO

....to be about $259.50 + s/h + $12 for GFI..... probably in the neighborhood of $300 until all is said and done. What do you guys think... better decision or no? Should i get the 4 bulb (440w) or the 3 bulb (330w)? Would you guys stick with the bulb arrangement i've got here or change it?
Thanks as always.

no1b4me
08/12/2005, 12:35 AM
retro kit is a way to go, you can built anything the way you want and still save money, any modification down the road wont cost you much since you could almost use what you already have. i would get vho retro kit and rig them up, it should come with all the instructions and vey easy. As for builting canopy, boy dont i love mine better any all the one being sold at LFS, and save more than half of mine money.

The Big Tuna
08/12/2005, 01:21 AM
Pitt,
VHO all the way. Just use an electronic ballast and URI bulbs- use a ratio of 1 actinic white to 1 super actinic. Ben workin for me for a LONG time now. 2 bulb set up would be enough to start, wt 4 VHO bulbs on a 55 you could keep just about anything you want, I do....
Joshua

pitt_prodigy
08/12/2005, 02:29 AM
thanks for the replies fellas... i think you all have convinced me. VHO it is!! Anyone else?? I really appreciate the incite.

Steven Pro
08/13/2005, 09:36 AM
For fish-only, a 2 lamp arrangement would work. If you want to get into more corals though, I would get the 4 lamp retrofit.

pitt_prodigy
08/13/2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks stevenpro... im thinking that is the way im gonna go. Hopefully the 4 bulb set up will last me for a while before i have to upgrade. Im kinda tenative about starting any real difficult corals in the immediate future but i know that as time goes by i'll definitely be in search of my next "white whale!" What a great hobby..... other incite? Any more comments on what bulbs i should get??

ILikeFish
08/13/2005, 11:20 PM
I dunno if I like a light with a 1yr warranty

pitt_prodigy
08/14/2005, 02:31 AM
Im not going to go with the light at thatpetplace anyway... the retrokit im looking into has a 3year warranty on the ballast. Seems like a lot more light for just a little more money. Only thing it doesnt have is the moon LED. Oh well i guess i could add one later if i really wanted one.

Silencer
08/14/2005, 06:03 AM
IMO the best non-halide deal would be this...

http://www.hellolights.com/22elarovhoba.html

AS-220 Ballast ($35)
2 pair endcaps (+$19.50)
Cord (+$3.50)
46.5" Reflector (+$30)
46.5" URI Actinic (+$20.95)
46.5" URI Actinic/White (+$23.95)

Total: $132.90

You have to wire it up yourself, but the nice part is the reflector (I believe) can fit 4 bulbs. If you wanted to add another 2 bulbs you could get another identical kit without the reflector ($102.90). Now you'd have four bulbs totalling 440w with two ballasts so you can operate the actinics and whites seperately, and the total cost is still only $235.80 not counting shipping or your DIY wiring.

I do not have this kit myself so I would get more opinions on it, but if I was going to buy a VHO setup today that's what I would be getting.

pitt_prodigy
08/15/2005, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the incite silencer.... sounds like a pretty good way to go and is cheaper!! Will the kit come with any instructions for how to wire everything up?? Thats my only concern..... i have no problem with building it, just need some specs so i can get things to work out right. I do like the 2 ballast idea as well. That way i could have my lower level (blues) come on in the morning and at night before the tank goes dark....and put my high level whites on a timer for during the day. Would definitely need to get another power cord. I hope the reflector fits 4 bulbs though...still not sure..?

Anyone else care to throw out any comments? Greatly appreciative.

Silencer
08/15/2005, 07:01 AM
From the product details in that link...

Optional reflectors are 10" wide and 2" high (the length is listed), and will accommodate up to 4 VHO bulbs.

I don't know if there are instructions or anything though. I don't have those lights and although I'm sure I've talked to people who have I can't remember what they said, so I'm hoping somebody who has these can jump in and give their opinion. It seems like a great deal to me, but I don't really know anything about that other than what's on that page.

pitt_prodigy
08/15/2005, 10:17 PM
thanks for all the help silencer... as always i greatly appreciate it. I think im definitely going to go that route though. How hard can it be to wire up 2 ballasts to light fixtures? The ballast are suppose to have a wiring diagram on them if i remember reading the detail correctly. I should just be able to follow that.

Anyone ever wire their own lights? Is it tough?