PDA

View Full Version : Can you run an SPS outfit on fluorescents

MikeInChatswort
08/10/2005, 07:41 PM
I'm in the planning stages of a 125g ( 24" tall) . I'm adding up the costs (big mistake). I'm thinking if I move off the MH/ PC lighting in favor of 500+ watts of VHO fluor, the lighting itself becomes cheaper and I could scrap the chiller. But of course, I don't know if I'll get the penetration and I don't know what the eventual inhabitants under such lighting will think of fluorescent lighting....I know the gold standard is the MH, but can a tank thrive under fluorescents.

I've been pouring over these forums for what seems like forever..they have been invaluable. I am receiving a great education! finally time to start asking some specific questions. There will be many more im sure

Oh BTW that shouldve been "mikeInChatsworth" You'd think an IT guy would've paid attention to character limits! Anyway, all the sagely advice you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

mike

golfish
08/10/2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by MikeInChatswort
I'm thinking if I move off the MH/ PC lighting in favor of 500+ watts of VHO fluor, the lighting itself becomes cheaper

Mike,
I'm not a big fan of sps with VHO's....Tell me, how does the lighting become cheaper using VHO's.

500 watt's of VHO heat pretty much equals 500 watt's of MH heat...give or take a few points.

MikeInChatswort
08/10/2005, 07:54 PM
well, as i was pricing things out it seemed like fluorescent was cheaper ( IceCap 60 inch VHO Retro Kit - 4 Lamps - $449), compared to at least 2 MH ballasts/bulbs plus a couple of PC ballasts and bulbs. So, fluorescents don't really offer an advantage when it comes to heat? or was it power compacts.......

MikeInChatswort
08/10/2005, 08:17 PM
1 watt = 1 watt. I guess it makes sense......why would they be any cooler.... I guess the bottom line is - if you want to keep a reef tank, suck it up, pay the cash, do it right.

so, then, on a 60" long tank, 24" high do you go with 2x250 mh, 2x175, 3x250, or 3x175

slipknottin
08/10/2005, 08:34 PM
Some of the best looking SPS come from tanks lit with VHOs.

It can be done, you just need to compensate by decreasing the distance from the coral to the light. Wether that means having a shallower tank, or putting the coral up on rock.

horkn
08/10/2005, 10:02 PM
if you want a non MH sps tank. the really only way to do it logically due to heat and wattage issues is to get t5ho with good reflectors..