PDA

View Full Version : coral banded shrimp

kingtut111
08/10/2005, 06:49 PM
I bought a coral banded shrimp about 1 week ago. It has takin a liking to the underside of the bottom live rock we have. It never comes out so we can feed it. Just today it shed itself of its first molting. Does that show a sign of good health or just normal. I cant even reach where he is to try to put food by him. Is there any kind of food I should be trying or will he scavange to keep alive? Thanks for any help you can give

Andy

btkrausen
08/10/2005, 06:57 PM
When I bought a coral banded, he did that same thing, and I was told that it is very normal for them to hide out all the time. I tried to drop some of my pellet food down in the corner where he was, and he ate it most of the time. Pretty sure they just scavange though. Thats my experience with them anyway

bigdon18
08/10/2005, 07:01 PM
mine comes out mostly at night when the lights are off,, any other time he is in his own self claimed tunel in the rock,,

graphixx22
08/10/2005, 07:03 PM
when they are first introduced into the tank they usually mate. once he gets used to his surroundings he will come out more and more. he will be fine.

srucker
08/11/2005, 01:04 AM
Ive had one for about 2 years and it took about 4 months before he started coming out for feedings.v I have also read that maintaining your iodine promotes molting and growth.

Joe LoPresti
08/11/2005, 12:04 PM
I've had mine also for about 2 years. He hides pretty much all day long, all you can see is his antennae sticking out. He molts about once a month and he will come out when I feed the tank, but for the most part he doesn't appear until well after everyone has gone to bed. He is my favorite animal in the tank!!!!

Iphis
08/11/2005, 04:08 PM
If you get one of those blue "moonlight" LED's you can watch these guys. They normally glow in the blue and don't seem bothered by the blue light.

Its what I use to watch mine after the lights go out. As soon as the timer switches everything off, and all the lights in the house are out, he comes out and scowers the entire tank looking for stuff.

During feeding time, you will see his claws reaching out to grab stuff, which is farly amusing.

Iphis

PoukieBear
08/11/2005, 04:14 PM
you don't need to feed him all on his own. when you feed the rest of the tank he will grab what he wants. And also when the lights go out he'll cruise around the tank looking for leftovers. Don't worry, he won't starve to death.