PDA

View Full Version : What is on this rock? (pic)

havoc1010
08/10/2005, 05:36 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/98843What-is-this-009.jpg

greenbean36191
08/10/2005, 05:38 PM
Valonia, AKA bubble algae.

havoc1010
08/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Is it bad? And what is the Brown stuff, It looks like a sponge..

iCam
08/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Are you referring to the green bubbles? If so, it they look like Valonia sp. algae. If so, try to remove them manually, very carefully, so that you do not pop the bubbles and release spores. An alternative method is to try to siphon them out. If they pop, the spores will be siphoned out as well.

I would also double check your water parameters.

jb88
08/10/2005, 07:24 PM
I would suggest you purchase about 5 small green emerlad crabs. they will consume all of it within a few days

havoc1010
08/10/2005, 08:16 PM
1.) Whats the average price of emerald crabs?
2.) Is there a list that tells what a specific creature will eat what in a tank?

clystubb
08/10/2005, 08:25 PM
I just paid $7.00 for an Emerald crab at my LFS.

Mantis737
08/10/2005, 09:02 PM
I would get 2 emeralds that are a decent size. Emeralds are very pest like once they have no more bubble algae to eat.

iCam
08/10/2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by jb88
I would suggest you purchase about 5 small green emerlad crabs. they will consume all of it within a few days

Emerald crabs are a real hit or miss, like Peppermint shrimp. Instead of just scratching the surface, you need test your parameters to try to find out why you are getting them in your tank.

Saltz Creep
08/10/2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Mantis737
I would get 2 emeralds that are a decent size. Emeralds are very pest like once they have no more bubble algae to eat.

Emeralds are pest-like for sure. Mine killed both a cleaner and a blood shrimp within a week in my nano at work. They may do better in a larger tank.

Precious Roy
08/10/2005, 11:22 PM
the bubble algae was like candy for my conch who deminished a small grouping that coated the front of my tank right above the sand.

Maxxumless
08/10/2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by havoc1010
Is it bad? And what is the Brown stuff, It looks like a sponge..

Ug, I REALLY hate bubble algae. I got so tired of picking it off rocks and power heads that I just let it go. Two months later it literally covered almost all my rocks. I actually had three species of bubble algae. I bought a fox face and ten emerald crabs for my 80g tank then with each water change I took one rock out and scrubbed it clean of algae. Six months later I still have it in some places but it no longer rules my tank.

As far as emerald crabs I lost two – one was actually eaten by very bold and big nassarius snail which ripped it apart (crab was missing a leg and the sail was relentless and finally killed the quarter sized crab). Some of the crabs are very big too, a little larger than a fifty cent piece. They look pretty menacing when they spread their claws out too.

None of my emeralds have touched my clams, fish, corals or each other. There are some species of crabs that are sold as emeralds but are not, if underfed any animal will become a threat as it looks for new sources of food and sometimes emerald crabs are blamed because they have been caught red handed but the animal was already dying or dead.

There is no way to get ride of bubble algae for good once a fully grown bubble has released its spores – but you can keep it in check. A word of caution, don’t move any rock or corals what have rock bases (solid) because you’ll likely spread the algae to other tanks. Bubble algae does have one limiter, light. Under MHs it will grow like wild fire but under PCs, VHO and T5’s I have observed a much slower growth rate. And don’t bother with trying to ‘clean up’ your water – bubble algae does not require much to grow.

cmc5dc
08/10/2005, 11:46 PM
Emerald crabs have worked for me in fact just recently purchased and the next day 2 of the bubble algae that I noticed prior were gone:)

havoc1010
08/11/2005, 05:45 AM
I gunna have to get me some of them! Hopefully I don't get sold the some fake emerald crabs.

danthemanj
08/11/2005, 06:43 AM
I would remove the rock and pick out the Bubble Algae with a toothpick without bursting any, then rinse the rock in saltwater and put it back in the tank and as a safety measure, get an emerald crab.

havoc1010
08/11/2005, 09:45 AM
Yea that sounds like a great idea!