PDA

View Full Version : Dosing kalkwasser

mtlreef25
08/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Hi guys,
I want to start dosing kalkwasser manually (I don't have a reactor) but I don't really know how to do it best... How much should I add how many times/week etc. I have a new 30g reef calcium is around 340 and ph around 8.0 8.2.... I really need your help I don't wanna mess this up!

Thanx !! Rick

dragon_slayer
08/10/2005, 05:32 PM
Kalk additions are regulated foremost by tank evaporation. if total replacement of evaporation with saturated Kalk meets your tanks demands without overdriving your pH levels then you just drip fully saturated kalkwasser to replace all evaporation daily. if saturated Kalk is to much then you have to play with the saturation levels (saturated is approx 2 Tbs per gallon of RO/DI water) to get the levels to match your tanks demands.

kc

zapata41
08/10/2005, 09:03 PM
first you need to find out what your ca demand is, you just cant wake up and say, hey i need to drip kalk,. Then once you find out your demand then you can slowly start dripping kalk, like a container above the tank or sump and gravity feed it through airline with a vlalve on the end to set the drip rate. It may take you 1/8th tsp/gal or it may take the extreme 3tsp/gal/45ml vinager. just need to use trial and error until you find out what works for you. It took me two weeks or twice a day testing to determine what keeps my levels where i want them, i ened up doing the 3tsp/gal/45ml vinager route and mix it all up in a 40gal plastic drum, then i drip it into the tank at about 1 drip ever 1-2seconds, so far it is working fine, with the once a week addition of turbo calcium.

so, just start off slow and slowly work your way up to where you need to be.

Tim

mtlreef25
08/11/2005, 11:49 AM
I guess I have to start really slowly because my CA is already around 400 I don't want it to skyrocket.... well for now I can't get Ro-Di unit do they sell some a the supermarket (I saw spring water Ozonized would it be ok?) ok

so thank you!