PDA

View Full Version : MH costs VS VHO

angieg1123
08/09/2005, 11:31 PM
Can someone help me figure this out? I currently have 3-250w 20k MH on my 125g reef. I was thinking of switching to 8- 95w VHOs. Which one would be cheaper to run? My electric bill is killing me at about $200 - $250 a month. I have no idea how to figure this out.

Thanks, Angie

samsfishnchips
08/09/2005, 11:53 PM
well if you running electronic ballast than, magnetic will use a bit more electricity

3*250 = 750
8*95 = 600

and we use the RC elec.cal at $.12 Cost of electricity per KWH and 12hours at day roughly

mh = $32.85
vho= $26.28

can others please comment on these figures to check accuracy

but if the numbers are in the close range to actual cost, them that tells me I would look for ways to cut elec. somewhere else

return pump, I used to run high wattage, high output, realize that low flow = less elec. and things look the same

water flow, closed loop can used anywhere from 100-300watts, I use tunzes 6000 at 15w's

have 10k's mh, more par, and run them at 7hours, everything looks healthy and less watts use

skimmer? more energy effient model

calcium reactor feed?, feed it with return pump

move to a lower cost state :D

look into others appliances at home which are power hungry, ect

and so on, good luck, can feel the pain, have friends with power bills over $500.00 :(

sam

Timbor
08/10/2005, 08:24 AM
Just to clarify,

8*95 = 760w... so the vho would use slightly more energy

Tim

paulpp187
08/10/2005, 08:27 AM
ya it would be slightyly more with the vho

Urabggr
08/10/2005, 09:23 AM
Plus, the cost of replacing eight VHO bulbs is gonna be higher than three metal halide bulbs (which last longer I believe anyway).

paulpp187
08/10/2005, 09:51 AM
halides replaced every 8-12 months depending on ballast.approx cost of halide 70-100 depending on bulb.vho bulbs are like 20-23 bucks each and you can replace them 12-18 months depending on bulb brand.the heat is another issue vho no much heat. halide's alot of heat.mh ballast vary in price as well 8 vho bulbs at 25 bucks is 200 3 mh at 100 is 300.there are to many factors

Urabggr
08/10/2005, 09:54 AM
Oh, I must've had my information very wrong. I was under the impression that VHO's should be replace around every 6-8 months, and halides were good to around 12-18 months. Also, for some reason I thought VHO's cost around $40... probably got them confused with PC. Thanks for correcting me.

MiddletonMark
08/10/2005, 09:54 AM
Isn't heat based on the watts running?

IME, it's just long, linear heat from VHO's vs. a small packet/spot of heat for the MH's - but that similar heat is generated by both - but cooling works differently.

angieg1123
08/10/2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I guess I will stay with the MHs since heat isn't an issue. I called the elec. Co and they are going to send someone out here to test my breaker box. According to my bill I use about 2500 kwh a mo. @ .094. ($235.00) plus the taxes and stuff. I do not have an off peak time for a different rate.
Hopefully they will find where I am consuming the most electricity. My house was built in 1924 so it could be alot of things. :(

paulpp187
08/10/2005, 10:25 AM
i can touch my vho's and not get burned touch a mh thats a different story. ya with 8 vho you wil generate heat

samsfishnchips
08/10/2005, 10:31 AM
man, lol, was sleepy when did that math ;)

heat, its that a problem, are you running a chiller, if not or need a ac to chill the room, I don't see the problem

vho do give off some nice heat, long tube

yeah, check other equipments, and cut from there, maybe the meter is being read wrong :D

good luck,

sam

slipknottin
08/10/2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by paulpp187
i can touch my vho's and not get burned touch a mh thats a different story. ya with 8 vho you wil generate heat

Yea, but take a 4' long 110 watt bulb, jam it into a 1" area, and see if it burns you.

MH has higher temps because it is more compact. It does not put out more heat per watt though.

paulpp187
08/10/2005, 10:50 AM
i got 6footers but they are not packed in a 1 ich area. i'll take your word for it i hate getting burned:D :D

dugg
08/10/2005, 11:04 AM
I would look at other things besides the tank for power savings. An older refrigerator can really suck the juice, especially if it's a side by side. Also a clothes dryer if it has an element that is going bad can eat you alive. A dirty a/c condenser unit can also be very expensive. Your power company can test and tell you where the problem is, but be carefull asking them, because if they find any hazrds they are required to take your meter untill the problem is fixed, and power companies don't fix problems inside your home. They will just take the meter and tell you when the problem is fixed and inspected, they will gladly hook you back up. Until then you will have really cheap bills because you won't have power.

spamin76
08/10/2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Urabggr
Plus, the cost of replacing eight VHO bulbs is gonna be higher than three metal halide bulbs (which last longer I believe anyway).

Yeah - you burn through VHO actinics like mad.

HaroldT
08/10/2005, 11:28 AM
Halide bulbs should last at least one year. If you are replacing it every 8 months, you have bad bulbs.

paulpp187
08/10/2005, 12:18 PM
Halide bulbs should last at least one year. If you are replacing it every 8 months, you have bad bulbs

not really depends on the ballast you are using electronic ballast it will or may last 12 months if you use a magnetic ballast it is less the magnetics drive the bulb harder there for cutting the bulb life.if you have an hqi ballast driving a se bulb the bulb is only good for 6 months

danielcherian
08/10/2005, 01:18 PM
Bear in mind that I am assuming that your power bill expense is primarily from your tank (although it probably isn't entirely the tank's fault and could be the AC, dryer, etc like others have stated). I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but what is your current lighting schedule/photoperiod? You might consider running your halides for a shorter period. I have found that this alone can save a lot of money. Pumps also draw a good deal of power, so consider putting circulation/closed-loop pumps on a timer. Best of luck.

angieg1123
08/10/2005, 05:36 PM
We just purchased all of our household appliances in June of last year. So everything is new and energy efficient. I do NOT have central air or use window airconditioners. I have a mag18 for a return pump and 3 powerheads in the tank for added circulation. (There is no direct sunlight in the room that the tank is in so it stays fairly cool in there with a couple of fans running. Highest the tank temp has gotten this year is 80. I floated some frozen water bottles in there and that worked.)

About the only thing I can think of is the hot water heater. That is electric and its NOT new. (5-8 yrs old) Maybe one of the heating elements is bad in it. Before I moved into this house I never had an electric bill over $100.00.

I can't wait to get this figured out. Wouldn't it be nice if it was an error on the electric company's part. :rollface: I wish!!!

I have my MH on 8 hrs per day. It used to be 12 but I already cut them back.

danielcherian
08/11/2005, 01:35 AM
I am not sure how feasible it is, but if you do repair/replace your water heater (assuming it is the trouble maker), you might take the extra step of putting the heater on a timer (yeah, I guess I like timers). If you don't need to take a late night shower, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. No late showers = no need for hot water.