PDA

View Full Version : CSS pvc-mod users read this!!!!

nossalucard
08/09/2005, 07:10 PM
Hi fellow css users,

I just thought I'd dop a line to make sure everyone that uses the pvc exit mods (for micro-bubble control) checks the condition of the sponge on the end often, and rinses it at least twice a week or more if needed. I came home today, and as I removed the top PVC cap(usually to drip in some calcium with the skimmer exit flow), the water level was almost at the top(usually gurgling a little, but never been this high). What was weird was I had just rinsed my Mag3 sponge that I use on it just on Saturday, and I usually get till the following Wednesday (tomorrow) before it needs it again. I can usually tell as the sponge starts growing algae on it, and the water level (in the skimmer)becomes less stable. I'd hate to think what coulda happened if I had'nt checked it early this time. Just goes to show that BAD stuff really does happen QUICKLY in a reef tank, and it pays to check your equipments performance DAILY, if not more often.

In addition, as I rinsed the sponge, I decided to run the skimmer without it, just for the heck of it, and actually, it produces no-where as many microbubles as it used to before I started to use the mod with the sponge. In fact, I'm gonna let it run without the sponge, and see if (maybe due to being completely broken in and slimed up good inside)it will run reliably this way(with hardly any microbubbles!!!), at least until I clean the whole skimmer(I figure every 6 mos for the whole skimmer body, which gives me another 3 mos), plus I dont have to worry about the sponge getting clogged anymore. In addition I have been adding alot of calcium lately via Aragamilk, and Seachem reef advantage calcium (was at 257 first test, now at 390 -410), so I'm wondering if that may have contributed also, but nothing is clogged that I inspected.

Well Just thought I'd post this to let people know, to always check their exit mod sponge(if used). Still lovin' this skimmer, hope you all are too!!! :rollface: