PDA

View Full Version : Coral Acclimation to new Lighting

flycasterjosh
08/09/2005, 02:40 PM
Any threads you can refer me to (search wouldnt work) for acclimating corals to new lighting? I just upgraded from 110 watts of CF to 150 watts og MH 15K.

My corals are freaked out, but I moved my tank around as well, so I think in general my whole tank is a bit P.O.'d. It doesnt seem like a big enough jump to constitute screening the light, does it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-J

Entropy
08/09/2005, 02:49 PM
Different corals will react differently, but you moved up quite a bit IMO because the metal halide is point source and penetrates much better than CF. I would start with a reduced light cycle or raise the halide to start and lower it slowly over a couple of weeks. Or use the screening method as you mentioned.

Chances are your corals will be fine, but it may take a while for them to bounce back and you might lose something if you just switch and don't do anything else. I switched from VHO to VHO+halides and didn't lose anything, but the corals I had at the time were very hardy.

flycasterjosh
08/09/2005, 02:53 PM
Awesome, thanks for the advice Rich. I will put one layer of screen down since I can move my fixture up (in hood). You arent kidding that it penetrates well.

I have a relatively small tank, and with the new lighting I have the much sought after "sun waves" all the way through my tank.

My fish have been hiding a bit as well, but I am guessing that is normal. Maybe they are getting a sunburn. :)

Temp is fine at about 79 degrees.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

-Josh

Entropy
08/09/2005, 03:26 PM
I like the glitter lines as well. I don't think I would every go back to non halides in a reef tank.