PDA

View Full Version : bad 14k?

Jovreefer
08/09/2005, 01:14 PM
I'm a first time MH user, ran PC's for 4 years. I purchased a 150watt HQI DE MH pendant with a 14k bulb. I plugged it up today for the first time and I'm VERY unhappy with the color. It looks like a 6,500 not a 14k....(in other words it looks like someone Pee'd in the tank) Its a PFO pendant.

I've herd SOO many good things about 14k bulbs...how you dont even need actinics with them they are such a nice color. Could I have a bad bulb? does it take a few days to balance its color or what could be going on?

Entropy
08/09/2005, 01:19 PM
What brand and how long have you had it running? A lot of bulbs need at least 100 hours before they show their true color. Also what kind of ballast are you running?

Jovreefer
08/09/2005, 01:38 PM
the pendant and ballast are PFO. The Ballast is the 150w that comes with the pendant.

The light has only been running 1 hour, but are they THAT far off in color to start with???????? It REALLY looks JUST like a 6,500 bulb. My White PC looks more blue.

Entropy
08/09/2005, 02:30 PM
They can be, or you could have a bad bulb/ballast combo, or you could just have a bad bulb. Try rotating the bulb a bit (don't touch the glass). It might help. I would let it burn for at least 50 hours before you get really upset.

chadfarmer
08/09/2005, 04:56 PM
give it a week then see how it is

what 14k bulb

cateyes
08/09/2005, 06:53 PM
Jovreffer -- i just ordered the same setup today..what bulb did you get?????? i' ordered the 14,500k Gieseman Megachrome bulb. i've seen pics of it in the Nova pendant and the colors were GREAT.. i hope it's half as good in the PFO setup....
lisa

Jovreefer
08/09/2005, 07:37 PM
Ya know...I think my bulb brand is where I went wrong :( I got it off e-bay (new not used) but its some brand I've never herd of and forgot what its called. I'll give it a month to see if it colors up. I have to acclimate my corals to the light slow so it will take a while to get that much burn time.