PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Your Electrical Outlets from 75ft?...NASA TECH? No batteries?? Cool..

Poseidon's Vortex
08/09/2005, 01:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I was pondering about where to put my switches for various pumps (skimmer, closed loop and return) since I was getting tired of UNPLUGGING THEM from the strip (no switch on cord either) during feedings..and or cleanings of the pumps...

Then I had the idea... "what about a remote control for my pumps where I just click a clicker and turn whatever I want off?"

I did some searching and there was not a lot out there and what I found was pretty pricey but not too bad figuring all the wiring headaches this will probably save me, not to mention time = money.

I found these that looked pretty good, Supposidly this is NASA technology that allows the clicker to work through walls (if your stuff is in the basement) up to 75ft, depending on the model you get. I cannot confirm or deny this yet but I will test them out when I get them, or if someone has them already feel free to chime in on your experiences.

I am looking at the model with ONE clicker that controls TWO wireless outlets for my setup... One could attach several pumps, to one outlet and turn off a group of targeted pumps utilizing the wireless outlet (s).. I dont have that big an electrical system or that many pumps, but still this would come in handy dont you think? esp with larger systems..

I could think of other uses for these puppies.. Might get a few more for the house..

Take note: THEY DONT USE BATTERIES! When the button on the clicker is pressed, it makes a spark (hence the name Lighting) which powers the signal! Purdy cool eh?

With the Lightning Switch, you can install or replace switches for lights and small appliances without new wiring -- using remote controls that work without batteries!

Based on NASA space technology, the patented Lightning Switch combines the permanence of conventional wired switches... with the flexibility and convenience of wireless remote controls.

Save time and money... $100s or $1000s... when compared to the installed cost of wired switches.

Expect the biggest savings in re-wiring and remodeling projects, since Lightning Switches (unlike re-wired switches) require no demolition, no patching, no re-painting... and no hassle!

Put Lightning wireless switch controls (the Transmitters) wherever you want: on a wall, on a table, in a drawer or in your pocket. That's because the Transmitters work without any wires or batteries.

Lightning Transmitters generate their own electricity whenever the Transmitter button is pushed.

Plug-in or wire-in Lightning Receivers wherever you want to control a lamp or ceiling fixture, etc.

Your Lightning System can be as basic or as sophisticated as you want. And, the installation process is so easy and foolproof that you won’t even need instructions after the first time.
!

hers a link to all the models...

http://www.lightningswitch.com/cgi-bin/lightning.pl?ref=lightningonlineorder1867&ct=21931&rdf=go

Here is the model Im looking at with dual outlets..

http://www.lightningswitch.com/cgi-bin/lightning.pl?ref=lightningonlineorder1867&ct=21931&pd=74331&rdf=go

Let me know what you guys think!

myakkareef
08/09/2005, 08:59 AM
Check to make sure that they stay on after a power outage. I have a similiar unit, worked great except when the power flasehed or went out they went to off and would not come back on till you hit the remote...Not good if your gone and the power goes out..JMHO

Freeskier98
08/09/2005, 10:47 AM
Perdyyy neat.

Poseidon's Vortex
08/09/2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by myakkareef
Check to make sure that they stay on after a power outage. I have a similiar unit, worked great except when the power flasehed or went out they went to off and would not come back on till you hit the remote...Not good if your gone and the power goes out..JMHO

Actually for some people that is NOT such a bad thing.. hehee Esp those that have siphon fed overflows! LOL..

Good question though... Ill have to find the answer to that one.. Worse case scenario in my case, My skimmer. return, and closed loop wont turn on, on their own.. LIghts and other electrical wouldnt be on this any way (timers)

And If I was away on vacation...Most likely I have someone babysitting my tank anyway, and they would be told just to click...:)

myakkareef
08/10/2005, 07:39 AM
Wow, I would be afraid of my system if things did not restart after a power outage. Is someone at your house 24/7...I know we leave all the time for weekends and holidays and never worry about the tank not starting back up or any other problems.

Omidon4
08/10/2005, 10:09 AM
Just get a couple of the units used for X-mas lights (check the wattage). I have a unit meant for christmas lights and it has this little green remote (battery powered but I have had it for years without replacing the battery). When you turn the unit on even if the power goes out and comes back on it will still be on. I currently use it for the lights on my 20gal in my living room for the times I'm too lazy to get up and turn them off. Again I would check the wattage but this method has worked for me....

myakkareef
08/10/2005, 12:03 PM
Omidon, that is the same one I have and it does not repower after a power outage...HHmmm, I loved it because all my plumbing and pumps are outside so it was conveniaant to clicky clicky them on and off...I will check mine again...

Poseidon's Vortex
08/10/2005, 01:17 PM
Cool Im thinking of getting a pair of the outlets..Didnt know they made them for xmas lights.. I still need to ask them if they stay ON if the power is interrupted.. Ill keep anyone interested posted