PDA

View Full Version : Different approach for keeping a tank cool?

dcoufal
08/08/2005, 10:10 PM
Okay, call me crazy - but, this is what just popped into my head. ;)

In my case, I drip 150ml/hr of makeup water. That's 3.6L/day or about 1 gallon/day. Not bad for a 125g running MH, right?

Anyway, my temp problem is minor - 1-2 degrees drop is all I need for 3 months each year. So, how about keeping the makeup water cooled to about 36-42 degrees? I could use a 5g bucket and only have to refill it once every 4 days (just to be safe), otherwise, the fridge would stay closed so it should be pretty efficient.

Now, my math shows that the max possible temp drop of 1g of 36deg H2O into 105g of actual water volume @ 85deg would drop the temp by almost 0.5 deg. That's if it's all dumped in at one time instead of being dripped.

So, it's a stupid idea - right?

Dwain

danthemanj
08/11/2005, 10:13 AM
I have heard of other people follwing the same idea. They use the pre-fab plastic cubes that they drop into the makeup water and it works for them. Just make sure that the make up water is entering your system AFTER your heaters and in a high flow area.

dcoufal
08/11/2005, 11:14 AM
What's a heater? ;) Is that what you call that big fiery ball in the sky? ;)

I'm in Texas and I rarely use a heater in the middle of winter.....

I was actually thinking on the line of putting the drum of make-up water in a fridge set @ 36 degrees.

I've also considered running the tank water through 1000 ft of poly-line buried 6-12 inches in the ground during the summer. It's 76-78 deg here at 6". 18" is about 56 deg. My only concern is a leak....

Yes, I know plastic pipe doesn't conduct heat well; however, 1000ft of pipe with the water flowing @ 90gph or so should cool the 2 degrees I need.... It's also a de-nitrator at that length!

Dwain