PDA

View Full Version : Would it be stupid to switch from my DE to SE mhs?

sexxybaldy
08/08/2005, 08:48 PM
I have DE mhs, but I have to keep glass between the bulbs and water. I dunno if I'm suppose to be doing this, but what I have been using is the stock Oceanic glass tops that came with the tank. I have two 4 inch installed on each side and I would like to run my tank without glass tops. I have the bulbs in a retrofit installed in the canopy. Its very hot right now I'm guessing the glass tops make it worse. Any ideas?

paulpp187
08/08/2005, 08:53 PM
de have to be shielded by a piece of low e glass preferably tempered because of the heat issue.you will burn the corals and whatever else the lights hit. one of my glass pieces broke the right side tank was toasted in like 2 hrs not to mention there was an emerald crab there grazing his shell is now white. when people see him in there they ask what kind of crab it is lol

samsfishnchips
08/09/2005, 02:14 PM
sexy

it is not stuped to change, but what type of pendant/reflector are you using

and a more specific reason why you shouldn't run not the tank, but the bulb, which mean you can have an open tank with DE mini-pendants above the tank,

UV NOTE: Double ended bulbs do not have the enclosed glass like the Mogul screw in type lamps. This means they have no UV shield. You should never run a double ended bulb with out the glass shield. UV damaged can result in your corals, especially gorgonians.

that warning also applies to you, never look or let your skim be lighted by a DE wihout an enclosure and glass shield,

sam

Entropy
08/09/2005, 02:24 PM
I prefer the SE bulbs just for the reasons you mentioned, as well as being able to handle the bulb without fear of getting finger oil on the bulb itself. I don't think it would be stupid at all to switch, although it seems a shame to spend the money twice. Maybe you can redo the shields on the bulbs so they are not right on (and closing off) the tank?

Wryknow
08/09/2005, 02:59 PM
You might want to try and trade on the forums. A lot of people prefer the DE bulbs because of their higher light output.

raddogz
08/09/2005, 04:09 PM
I went from se to de simply because the se seemed to heat my tank up more - I say "seem" because I was also running pc's and switched to t-5's. I like the fact that I don't have to wipe down the se bulb. As far as getting oil on the de bulb, one is only touching the bulb when you are changing it.

I would not leave the original glass tops on as it will heat up your tank up much more rather than leaving it off.