PDA

View Full Version : Is poly filter Alumina Based(for phosphate removal??)

nossalucard
08/08/2005, 08:03 PM
Does anyone know if poly filter is alumina based (the phosphate adsorbing characteristics of it)???? Feel free to chime in, as I would like to get several opinions.

argi
08/08/2005, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't think so. On their Kold Ster-il water filter systems you can by alumina media for phosphate removal. I wouldn't think you would need to add this on if the poly filters themselves were alumina based.

HTH,

Keith

hottuna
08/08/2005, 08:28 PM
no it is not...i know the owner of polybio personally...spoke to him today...

nossalucard
08/08/2005, 09:14 PM
Yea, I read a little (very little) about the Kold Ster-il water filter systems, and (probably due to not reading it all, just skimming it) because I saw something about alumina based, I guess I just figured since they (Poly Bio) do admittedly use alumina based media in some of there products, that maybe the poly filter is just a alumina based bonded/impregnated polyester pad. I don't know, just kinda made sense.

I'm just so darn tired of having to decide what is the best media to use for phosphate....alumina based or iron based. UUUgh, this darn hobby. Soon as you think one way is right, it gets disproven and vice versa. Whats so darn bad is this hobby's livestock is WAAYYY too expensive to be risking the use of the wrong product that my destoy your reef and inhabitants. Guess I'll just use Polyfilter and Phosban together then.......:mixed:

mrkrispy
08/09/2005, 04:16 AM
well if you don't have acros the iron-based seems to be okay, just use less than recommended if you are worried.

hottuna
08/09/2005, 07:59 AM
btw :the activated alumina used in the kold steril for phosphate absorption is NOT the same as other aluminum based phosphate removers on the market...it will NOt cause problems with leather corals etc....