PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a sump need advice

ncwolfpack312
08/08/2005, 06:20 PM
I have had a 75 gallon reef tank running for about 2 years now. I have always battled with algae and the water level dropping in the tank making it look unsightly. I would like to add a sump to it and I was hoping to get some advice on the best method.

I am going to have to get an overflow box since my tank did not come with one. I was looking at a CPR 90 to handle that. I am unsure as of right yet what size sump I will use, I guess the bigger the better. Is there any advantage to using an smaller tank over something like a rubbermaid container(which I could go larger with and for less money)?
And finally how do you know what size pump you need to return the water to the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dougchambers
08/08/2005, 06:26 PM
We had a 20g glass tank under our 75g for a number of years. Definitely go with as big as you can reasonably fit. Small tanks or small rubbermaid containers require re-filling constantly. We used a DIY Nurce for our top-off.

We used a MAG9.5 for our return but our tank was drilled. There are a number of mixed reviews on the CPR overflows. Everyone seems to really like the LifeReef overflow over most.

We have more details on our website.

-Doug

ncwolfpack312
08/08/2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks alot. I will have to check into the lifereef boxes any idea of a good place to order them from?

BWilfong
08/08/2005, 08:28 PM
I am in the process of building a sump for my 75. I am using a rubber maid tub because after pricing what it would cost me to build an acrylic tank (about $75), and knowing that I can not even really cut that straight, I went with the rubber maid. I just re-inforced the bulk heads for an external pump, added a second rubermaid container as a refugium with stand pipe.

As for the return pump, I have always heard the minimum you want is 5-6 times the gallon of your tank. I.e. for a 75 gallon you would want a min of 450 gph. 6 * 75 = 450.

dougchambers
08/08/2005, 09:16 PM
Only one place to get them that I know of.

www.lifereef.com

-Doug

Originally posted by ncwolfpack312
Thanks alot. I will have to check into the lifereef boxes any idea of a good place to order them from?

BryanJ
08/09/2005, 01:18 PM
I will second the lifereef reccomendation. I have a ecosystem siphon for my eco 40 and would pay anything for a better siphon. It is a real pain having to restart your siphon on a regular basis. Not to mention the worry of losing siphon while on vacation. Fortunately I have not been able to afford vacation with buying a new house this year. The eco 40 will be on a fowlr by the time I do vacation again so then I will just unplug it while I am gone.