PDA

View Full Version : Pic of PFO hanging kit w/ Popcorn ceiling?

s3aL
08/08/2005, 06:00 PM
Just looking for pictures of a PFO light fixture hanging with the PFO hanging kit. Would like to see a PIC of the ceiling(popcorn ceiling) if possible. Thanks!

s3aL
08/08/2005, 07:24 PM
Bump....

s3aL
08/08/2005, 07:39 PM
Also, do you have to find the support beams in your ceiling and hang them from those?

s3aL
08/08/2005, 10:04 PM
bump

mrkrispy
08/09/2005, 04:14 AM
I had my pfo mini pendant in a popcorn ceiling for months. I recently moved though, and don't have pictures of the ceiling. I just used hollow wall/ceiling toggle bolts from Home Depot. You drill a hold thru the ceiling, pound in the anchor, then insert the hanger screw in to the anchor. My girlfriend patched up the holes with pre-mixed spackle and it blended right in. As an aside I must say the PFO hanging kit really sucks for the ceiling end.

s3aL
08/09/2005, 04:55 AM
Alright thanks. I heard its unsafe to rely on anchors to keep a 25-30 pound light fixture up in your ceiling. I heard a good idea is to nail a sheet of wood to your support beans in your ceiling then nail your fixture to the sheet of wood. Anyone do that?

mrkrispy
08/09/2005, 10:52 AM
If you are talking the PFO mini pendant, I think it is less than 10lbs. Plus the anchors say they are good for something like 50-80 lbs.
Some pendants have the ballasts in them, that is why they are so heavy.

Entropy
08/09/2005, 10:57 AM
Drilling into the ceiling joists is always preferable when hanging anything, but you can use the butterfly anchors as well for stuff under 50 pounds. The problem with the ceiling joist idea, is that they rarely line up with your application.

If you have access the attic above the tank, you can drill the holes where you need them and then go up into the attic and add a couple of blocks between the joists to support the weight.

lscaquarium
08/09/2005, 11:56 AM
you can always just screw a nice wood or metal cleat to the rafters. and hang the lights off of it. that way you dont have to worry about your rafters lining up with your tank and not having the lights centered.

Chris

Entropy
08/09/2005, 12:35 PM
I think that is basically what he meant with the piece of would attached to the ceiling method. I don't know how pretty that would be though. Either way I would always use screws instead of nails. Screws don't back themselves out over time.

s3aL
08/09/2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Im talking about the 48" PFO fixture so its abit heavy. Im gunna see if my attic is right above my tank room(which it seems to be from looking). That sounds like the best and safest option if available.

Dr.Karl
12/05/2005, 01:43 PM
I used a piece of unistrut (comes in aluminum, stainless, and others) and attached it to the ceiling joists with lag screws. I used a stud finder to locate the joists. the uni strut has slotted holes all along its length so your chances of your screws lining up with the joists are better than good. I used the icecap hanging kit. The unistrut has accessory nuts that slide along its length. The nuts come tapped in different thread sizes and one matches the thread of the icecap kit. So you could use a one inch bolt and cut the head off or some threaded rod cut to length. Either way this puppy aint comin down!

Dr.Karl
12/30/2005, 09:46 PM
Some Pics:
http://www.microsprint.com/images/uni.jpg
http://www.microsprint.com/images/uni2.jpg
http://www.microsprint.com/images/uni3.jpg