PDA

View Full Version : MH Ballast Differences?

BermyBoi
08/08/2005, 01:19 PM
well i am considering purchasing a MH retrofit kit for my 120 - but was wondering the differences between the Eletronic and Magnetic ballast's. What are the advantages / disadvantages to the two different types and which would be recommended?

slipknottin
08/08/2005, 01:20 PM
electronic are smaller, lighter, more efficient, quieter, and can run a wider variety of bulbs. But are also more expensive, less reliable, and do not run bulbs as bright (usually) as mag ballasts.

Blazer88
08/08/2005, 03:01 PM
Is ARO a decent brand for electronic?

grigsy
08/08/2005, 04:56 PM
I like using the magnetic ballasts. The bulbs run brighter and the ballasts are more reliable. Electronic MH ballasts are too finicky.

reefmarker
08/08/2005, 05:53 PM
Wow, totally different opinions than others. I have mostly magnetic ballasts of 175 and 400 watt varieties, with a couple of ARO ballasts.

The magnetic ballasts don't reliably fire the bulbs and don't stay lit reliably. They are also hot enough to burn you if touched. They force you to make sure you buy a bulb they can fire. They weigh so much you are forced to floor or stand mount them. They don't last very long and use lots more power than the electronics.

The electronics are room temp to the touch, fire the bulbs every time, are light enough to mount on the canopy. I can't tell any difference between a mag 175 watt and an aro 175 watt both firing Ushio 10K's which are currently above my boy's 72 gallon.

ARO seems to be very good to me. I am currently slowly replacing all my mag ballast with ARO electronic ballasts.

slipknottin
08/08/2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by reefmarker

The magnetic ballasts don't reliably fire the bulbs and don't stay lit reliably. They are also hot enough to burn you if touched. They force you to make sure you buy a bulb they can fire. They weigh so much you are forced to floor or stand mount them. They don't last very long and use lots more power than the electronics.

I too stated that magnetic ballasts were far less efficient, and were heavy. But they are significantly more reliable than electronic ballasts, or so is the consensus among industrial uses of MH.

BermyBoi
08/09/2005, 04:18 PM
so considering i am willing to pay the difference between the two kits - which one would be recommended ?

elaw62
08/10/2005, 01:55 PM
i just hooked up the ARO retro M/H electronic ballast kit approx. 2 weeks ago. everything great so far.

jimbo045
09/09/2005, 02:00 PM
I like the elec. one. I think most people use them. JD