PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor install questions

Codeman00
08/08/2005, 12:52 PM
I have read several different ways to supply your calcium reactor with water from the tank/sump. I want to tee off of the sump return line for this purpose (and it seems to be one of the accepted ways). My return line is 3/4" soft PVC tubing and the hookup to the calcium reactor is 1/2" soft PVC. Note that I have a needle valve on my effluent line to control the overall flow.

After I tee off the sump return line, I think that I should install a ball valve and union here so I can turn off the water to disconnect the calcium reactor. My question is do I need to control this intake flow with a gate or needle valve or can can I just use a simple Lowes ball valve? Is the effluent flow only controlled with the effluent needle valve?

Also, I've heard that its best to put the effluent line in the skimmer outlet to get rid of CO2. Is this necessary or can I just plumb the effluent line right into the sump water?

Am I on the right track here or is there anything I need to be aware of?

Ereefic
08/08/2005, 02:07 PM
My CR-1 came with a 1/2" water feed line, but I swapped it out with a JG fitting (RO tubing size). I tee'd off my return so I could run the RO tubing right from there to the reactor. It works fine. I'm not sure why they supply such large feed lines with reactors, but I don't see a need for it.

I put a valve after the 'T' to turn that on/off as needed. When the reactor is running, the valve is all the way open and effluent is controlled via needle valve on the output of the reactor.

By putting the effluent near the intake of the skimmer can help blow off excess CO2. Never done it myself, but that is what I hear.