PDA

View Full Version : Starting to bite on the BB thing

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 12:49 AM
I have a ten gallon tank, and it sucks trying to keep my nutrients in check. So lets say I was going to reset my tank up with a barebottom. What would you guys recommend for lighting (I do have corals, but I reallly want to get stuff spreading across the bottom), filtration, etc. that isn't going to make me just want to get a bigger tank because of the amount of money I had to spend?

Carman34L
08/07/2005, 01:14 AM
well, first off what do you want to keep, second what corals?

need to know this info...

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 01:27 AM
I just want to transfer my falcos hawkfish, and neon goby. The corals I have are pavonah (leaf coral), some mushrooms, and a small open brain. I have just started to put corals in but if it will be easier to take care of the tank with a bare bottom I figure I mind as well change before adding anything else. I'm not sure what other corals I'd want to add (if you have any suggestions that'd be great), but I'd like some that would require about the same care as what I have.

Carman34L
08/07/2005, 01:31 AM
what type of setup do you have as far as filter and such?

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 01:36 AM
That's why I asked what would people use. I have the burdon of a...Skilter...yeah I know. It was made for up to a 65 gallon tank though. And I have 3 watts per gallon of lighting, but I have all my corals close to the top. I know this is just going to be trouble so that is why I am thinking of switching things up. The problem was when I started I had little money and accepted free things. Thanks for helping me.

stash98
08/07/2005, 01:44 AM
those corals do well under PC bulbs. in a 10.

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 01:46 AM
that's good, cause that's what I have, but the system is only 30 watts. That's not gonna be enough right?

Carman34L
08/07/2005, 01:50 AM
well, I started off on a 10g, as well, so.. her is what had that gave me success, 10g AGA, your standard tank, and a tetraTEC filter w/ heater, i used 1/2 carbon 1/2 bio filtering, i maintained a LBTA for a little while with failure, i had about 3.5 watts pur gallon, i then tried corals, i found my tank was a mushroom breeding tank... I never used a skimmer on that tank just water changes. What we alll need to know is what you want to keep, what do like as far as corals? LPS SPS ???

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 02:00 AM
I would "like" to keep some torch coral, maybe some zoo's, maybe a finger leather, ricodea. My knowledge of what's out there is limited to what I have seen in my LFS and in some books/online. Any recommedations on some cool corals that would do wel in a nano?

Carman34L
08/07/2005, 02:14 AM
i would upgrade the "skilter" to a bio meathod, hob is what I did, then go to at least 5 watts per galllon of lighting, you can turn the skilter in to a HOB fuge, just a little crativivty is needed, work on it..

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 02:16 AM
thanks for the help

stash98
08/07/2005, 03:02 AM
im going BB w/ a 7 gallon. Im not using a skimmer..just a lot of flow..water changes once a week, and an HOB w/ foam to grab detritus.

you dont need a fuge w/ a BB..there are not enough nutrients for the macro algae to take outof the water. I am simplifying my setup to just a whole lot of flow and weekly water changes.

you can keep mushrooms..rics..things like that in your tank w/ those lights.

also, the only investment youd need to make is in some extra powerheads for extra flow.

if the skilter is working, you may as well keep it as just a skimmer..i wouldnt mod it into a fuge.

Precious Roy
08/07/2005, 03:08 AM
I have two powerheads in the tank right now, but one of them pumps water out of the tank in my uv sterilizer, and the other is on a time to run for 4 hours twice daily. Should I get another one to keep the bottom clean? Also what are you putting on the bottom if anything at all?