PDA

View Full Version : PVC: thin wall or regular?

dpstrand
08/03/2005, 03:03 PM
I'm at the plumbing stage with my new (1st) 150g reef tank. I am using a panworld 100px-x external pump and was planning on running 1.5" from the sump to the intake, but due to space constraints it looks like I'll have to use 1" from the sump to the pump and from the pump back to the tank.

I picked up some regular PVC as well as some thin walled PVC and was wondering which I should use. The thin walled stuff gives me a larger inner diameter and is supposed to be good up to 200 psi, but I'm worried about it's strength and noise. What is the general concencus on the thin walled pvc?

achilles1
08/03/2005, 03:17 PM
I use thin wall. Like you said, you gain a little on the inner diameter. Increased diameter decreases velocity which actually reduces noise and resistance.

What are your concerns about strength?

dpstrand
08/03/2005, 10:41 PM
So are you saying the thin walled pvc is quieter than regular pvc?

As far as strength I'm just concerned with the long vertical pieces that may have a ball valve / union on them. I don't want them to sag.

AQUAN8TOR
08/03/2005, 10:44 PM
Thinwall PVC is 1.25" internal diameter, but 1" ball valves will still be 1.0" i.d.
They will sag if they are flow lines. All my drains are thinwall 1", or sch 40 1.5", but all my return lines are sch. 40.

Best advice is use plastic support clamps.