PDA

View Full Version : what can go in fuge

ladyreefer
08/03/2005, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone I have just got a Amiracle mudd filter,the dimensions are 20x10x14,it goes up to a 60gal. I would like to know what could go inside of it. I want to use it as a fuge.
my current tank is 55gal with a about 75lbs of live rock, 2-3inch sand bed.
thanks Ladyreefers

ladyreefer
08/03/2005, 12:13 PM
what is a good pump to use with the amiracle the opening where the pump goes is not very big.

szwab
08/03/2005, 12:32 PM
first off glad you found us and welcome!!!
not real familiar with the Amiricles but i'll take a stab at it.

if there is a light over top of it you could put some macro algae in there. The idea is to keep it predator free so that those critters have a place to live without fear. anything you put in needs to be something that won't get pulled into the pump. I'd puta couple small pieces of live rock in maybe a snail or 2 but they will find their way down eventually. With the mud/sand macro and a rock or 2 it should populate itself pretty good. I assume that it requires an internal pump. if so I'd get the dimensions and find one of the mag pumps to go in the space either a mag 9 or 12. You will probably need additional flow in your tank depending on what you are planning on keeping.

hollback
08/03/2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by szwab
if so I'd get the dimensions and find one of the mag pumps to go in the space either a mag 9 or 12. You will probably need additional flow in your tank depending on what you are planning on keeping.

I wouldn't go with anything more powerful than a mag 9.5 if you only have 1- 1" drain to your sump/fuge. Problem being that a 1" drain only allows about 600 gph of flow through it and your Mag 9.5 would be supplying your display with about 950 gph (minus head and resistance would still be more than 600 gph). This means that your fuge would get pumped dry and your display would overflow. The trick is to add a ball valve AFTER the pump so you can dial down the flow to your display. I hope this makes some sense and welcome to CORA.

Jason

cadams
08/03/2005, 02:28 PM
i have 1.5" drain and I had to choke down my 9.5 mag a tiny bit.

the 12 will allow you T off the return to run other stuff if need be (chiller, fluidized bed, whatever....)

szwab
08/03/2005, 03:54 PM
go big or stay home Jason :)

good catch I should have explained why with the bigger pump and how to do it.