PDA

View Full Version : blasted skimmer and pump

saltwaterfishlover
02/14/2002, 11:11 PM
ok new question....

maybe i am an idiot...

the rio 2500 went south... bought a mag 500
skimmer bubbles but no build up of foam or scum.... trya mag 700 same thing... take the rio 2800 off the spray bar and try that
same thing... what gives? was the rio 2500 the optimal pump for this skimmer ( amiricle quad pass venturi) or was it the fact it was 5-8 years old it worked great with the skimmer. amiricle said a rio 1700 or 2100 but even using a valve and slowing the other pumps down no foam build up... could something have been released into the water when the pump blew that could be preventing foam? did a 12 gallon water change tonight (120 tank).....
the old pump 15 minutes after turning it on lots of foam and scum starting to be removed

Chucker
02/15/2002, 06:47 AM
Since the pump blew, you likely dumped some nasties into your tank. There's a good chance that these monkeyed with the skimming action, and may take a few days to dissipate (you using carbon?). Also, if you cleaned your skimmer after the pump croaked, it may have to break in again, which can require a few days depending on the skimmer.

saltwaterfishlover
02/15/2002, 07:30 AM
lets see no carbon being used.... yes a quick clean on skimmer but have cleaned it several times before and always just started working right away... i would believe your right with the nasty bit.. place some carbon in the filter box or near the return pump...

Playfair
02/15/2002, 08:31 AM
Ditto to what they said ;)

The tank looks real good (albeit NEW :D )- how much rock did you end up using?

I'm having a "brain cloud" and forgot who it was that had the extra epoxy paint... There are a couple of people besides me (KevinM and Todd) that need to paint canopies. If it was you that had a bunch left over, please gimme a call!

Gary Majchrzak
02/15/2002, 09:10 AM
Looks like you'll have plenty of time to fiddle with the skimmer before it's required to run on your system! Nothing like a clean slate to start growing on...Nice! Make sure the venturi intake is clear and let your new pump/skimmer combo run for a day or two before evaluating what the heck it's doing.My skimmer always foams at NIGHT.

saltwaterfishlover
02/15/2002, 09:39 AM
yes is I who has the exopy.. still need to build an dpaint my canapy too... as well as buy the electricals. skimmer was runnign great from day 1 then got gummed up when added the sand bed... cleaned it out then started going again... pump blew out and it stopped working. I posed this morning before looking at tank and when I looked it was startign to collect again... i guess the nasty bit was it.... i have between 170 and 180 lb rock in now.. going to ad maybe 20-30 from the 20 long... have 100 lb sand in tank and sump combined will add maybe 20 more from 20 long...

saltwater reefing the greatest thing for a dislexic with a.d.d. ........
is said cycle darnit.... NOW.....