PDA

View Full Version : shivering Naso

narkosis
09/26/2000, 12:58 AM
Has anyone ever noticed their Naso tang getting the shivers?
Mine does, mostly in the dorsal and ventral fins, that is. It's a 6" bloke, about 3 weeks old in the tank.

Water temp.'s 26C, and all other tangs - yellow, Pacific sailfin, bristletooth are doing fine. No sign of white spot either.

Ta

billsreef
09/26/2000, 04:47 AM
Is it doing this in front of other fish, or possibly even it's own reflection in the glass? If so it is a terrortorial display.

narkosis
09/26/2000, 05:12 AM
Hmm, it does that while swimming alongside the glass panes only. So I guess you're right in saying that it's a territorial display. Phew, for a moment I thought it might be flukes!

Thx

billsreef
09/26/2000, 05:36 AM
After 2 years my Naso still does that, at least when the glass is clean :D

narkosis
09/26/2000, 09:24 AM
Bill,

As a side question, have you ever noticed your Naso eating any Bryopsis?

Q. on this new forum software : how is it that when I reply or follow up on a thread, the subject is empty and I need to key it in again?

Rog

FMarini
09/26/2000, 09:49 AM
Hi:
Bill...you got this one right on the head. I have a naso vlamingi (had him for 7 yrs). He does this quick flashing of his fins, and then wiggles in front of all my fish, and then if the room is dark, and the tank is lit, he does this constantly againist the glass. He'll never outgrow this. action
My problem is that he is starting to pin fish (his tankmates) up againist the glass, and does this threat display "shivering", as the poster calls it, and vibrates the fish into the acrylic w/ his body..My reason for concern, this Vlamingi is now about 10" long, and is starting to get the nubs of his defensive spines (base of his tail-caudal peduncle), and he has punched holes in my harlequin tusk, and passer angel. Some something to think about.
Mine has never eaten bryopsis, but he eats almost everything else.
frank

narkosis
09/26/2000, 09:08 PM
Frank,

My naso is the regular N. lituratus. Do you think the nature would be similar to the vlamingi. So far it just does it by itself without harassing the other fish. It's the largest critter in the tank, but also the newest.

Has your vlamingi got the twin tail extensions yet?

Rog

billsreef
09/26/2000, 09:39 PM
Hi Roger,
You don't need to retype the subject line for the replies, it's optional. Just in case you feel the need for a reminder of what the subject is I guess. I don't have any bryopsis in my tank so can't comment on that.

Hi Frank,
That vlamingi must be really nice looking. Sounds pretty obnoxious too. So far I haven't run into that with lituratus, at least not yet, mine is only 2 years in the tank.

FMarini
09/26/2000, 10:40 PM
Hi:
I'll post some pictures of this pain-in-the-butt. I've gone thru lots of yrs w/ this fish, who has ruled the roost. He got a new tank this yr(a 180gal), and hes actually growing again. I have to say he is the beefyist, most coolest looking tang I have ever seen, when i got him he was a little 2" pipsqueek w/ almost no color(shiney grey), and he got his fin tips last yr, they are about 2", and growing. His head flatten out last yr, and this little hump is forming on his forehead.
ANyway..I digress. I haven't heard of anyone elses NASO do this type of behavior w/ pinning other fish againist the side. SO hopefully its just my fish. Guess when your competing w/ a bunch of killers (lions, blue cheek trigger, huge lyretail hog, wolf eel), you'd want to be top dog.
frank
PS. I have a bunch of NSAO pictures(about 8 different species) I will post them to my local reef societies web site.