PDA

View Full Version : August meeting Idea

easttn
08/01/2005, 09:49 PM
I don't want to volunteer anyones kitchen or appliances, so I'll throw this out and see who "bites". How do youn's feel about everyone bringing some pre-assigned food items and we make a very nutritious meal. The twist is - it's for our fish and tank inhabitants this time.

We all only need bring our one item and we'll mix it all together at the meeting and everyone goes home with a recipe and basically free food for quite some time. I have two different recipes, both for meat eaters, maybe we can do two. One for carnivores and one for vegetarians.

We can even ask the vegetarians to make the veggie recipe we agree to so no one gets grossed out. Everyone would need to bring coolers, ziplocks, their ingredient, and ice so the food stays fresh until you can freeze it when you get home.

Any takers?

Angela Short
08/02/2005, 07:58 AM
That is a great idea! When you go to get ALL the ingredients it can cost a ton and make a ton. I hope this idea is done at a MTRC meeting soon. Prepared foods are so expensive.

EvilMel
08/02/2005, 08:33 AM
I'd be up for it Charles!

seased
08/02/2005, 12:37 PM
good idea! been wanting to do this on my own - good chance to learn from others who have already done it.

waynesworld
08/02/2005, 02:10 PM
Keep us informed on how it works that sounds like a great idea

EvilMel
08/02/2005, 02:43 PM
Charles, you should make a list of what should go in it and then you can just tell me what to bring! I appreciate not having to make decisions.

easttn
08/02/2005, 04:54 PM
OK All,

Here are the ingredients for nasty little soiree'

ETRC Fish Mush Recipe

Raw, fresh shrimp, or frozen pkg Mysis, Artemia, or Artemia nauplii
Fresh Live clams, oysters, mussels
Silversides
Raw, frozen "white" fish (flounder, whitefish, etc)
Dried Nori – No additives
Selcon
Lemon juice
Fresh garlic cloves
Cyclop-eeze
Golden Pearls (if anyone has some, more sizes the better)
Amino Acids
Phyto Feast
Formula One pellets
Formula Two pellets
Oyster eggs
DTs
Bring anything you may have to donate from previous buys.

I have Cyclop-eeze, Aminos,Phyto Feast, and Oyster eggs.

Where will this be and who can bring what?

This ought to fun and stinky.

Charles

easttn
08/02/2005, 06:59 PM
I have the approximate amounts of everything and I've asked Mel to help me get them on our Web page. This concoction is actually for all the critters in your tank, not just fish.

EvilMel
08/03/2005, 08:16 AM
Just a question about the live clams and mussels. Who is gonna shuck them? Things like that should be done ahead of time (but day of, for sure) so we don't destroy Julie's kitchen.

Maybe I could be on frozen fish duty. I can also bring other stuff too (have plenty of Nori laying around). There's no way I am gonna kill live mussels and clams, but then everyone probably already knew that.

easttn
08/03/2005, 03:41 PM
Julie are you open to this? We can do it another time np, it will smell.

You bring up a good question Mel, does everyone like the batter? Is there something in it that you won't add to your tank, or something we should add? If someone brings the shellfish I'm sure we can get some shuckers.

Dave, what do think since your tank is probably one of the cleanest I've seen?

EvilMel
08/03/2005, 03:56 PM
I think she's a bit busy at the moment, but I asked her (per Don's advice) and she said she did not mind if we made it there. She has a food processor and a blender. I was also going to bring a food processor so that we can have two of those.

I don't have a problem with the stuff being in there. I just don't want to BE the person killing the animals. But yeah, I am a bit horrified by the fact that it's going to be alive while you shuck it. I can get over it as long as I don't have to see it or do it myself.

Runner
08/03/2005, 04:29 PM
I added Charles' recipe to the website. The link can be found in the Meeting section and in the "Links" page. I left it in Word format for now. I will probably convert it to HTML or PDF soon.

cee
08/03/2005, 05:10 PM
I don't feed much, and what I do feed is well rinsed before it goes in. I did a little test awhile back on some frozen mysis, and the phosphate levels were through the roof! Rinsing helps reduce it some, and I hate to "import" undesirable things to the tank. I think the receipe looks good, but I'd leave the items out which can't be rinsed first.

Dave

Runner
08/10/2005, 06:50 PM
I assume we are still doing this. I have nothing on the list so I'll need to figure out what to buy. Do we need to make a list to ensure we have everything?

TriMax
08/10/2005, 08:17 PM
I was hoping to participate also. Don't have any of the ingredients either.

Mel or Charles:

Who is making a list and checking it twice?

Put me down for something, tell me what it is, and tell me how to go about getting it.

Eddie

easttn
08/10/2005, 09:00 PM
Well I have:
Food processor
Some Cyclop-eeze, proabably need 1 more frozen brick.
Amino Acids
Phyto Feast
Lemon juice
Fresh garlic cloves
Oyster eggs

Mel said she had Nori

We need:
Golden Pearls - more sizes the better
Raw, fresh shrimp, or frozen pkg Mysis, Artemia, or Artemia nauplii
Raw, frozen "white" fish (flounder, whitefish, etc) - no tuna, salmon, swordfish...
Selcon
Formula One pellets
Formula Two pellets
DTs

Bring anything you may have to donate from previous buys. This is not like baking, this is "dump" cooking. If your bringing any of the live or fresh foods, please buy it from a known good fish monger and not until Friday night or Saturday morning on the way to the meeting.

Post back with what you will bring I'll update nightly, be sure to read previous posts before replying.

Thanks,
Charles

llpoolej
08/10/2005, 10:10 PM
I can get some shrimps. I won't kill anything either, I do enough killing in my tank :(

I am totally ok with doing this in my kitchen, and I am not sure why I didn't see this before. I may have formula one and two pellets too. I will have to check and see.

Man, my garbage will STINK by Tuesday! :D

Fishboy42
08/10/2005, 10:59 PM
This sounds like a great idea! I'd be happy to contribute to the mix.

I make a frozen gel food for my fish that involves beefheart among other things (helps the clowns grow big and strong!), but that's all the experience I've got (and I know Mel isn't crazy about that ingredient)

I can bring selcon, DT's, and a package (or 2?) of frozen mysis to throw in, and I have lots of freeze-dried cyclop-eeze (If the freeze-dried is ok... I add the dried stuff to my mix, unless you need/prefer frozen?)

awcurl
08/11/2005, 05:33 AM
I'll bring the Golden Pearls, only one size though.

easttn
08/11/2005, 06:55 PM
We now need:
Golden Pearls - What size are you bringing Art?
Raw, frozen "white" fish (flounder, whitefish, etc) - no tuna, salmon, swordfish...
Formula One pellets - Julie pls post back for to be sure
Formula Two pellets - "
Sandwich size ziplock freezer bags.

Fishboy bring freeze dried, it does not matter. Bring the mysis too.

Almost there.

Don't forget to bring coolers, with ice for the trip home. Julie, make up a gallon or so of RO, to soak fresh shellfish in and to possibly thin the mush.

Don - You bringing vitamin Beer?

RCS
08/12/2005, 06:32 AM
If orange roughie would count as a whitefish, I can bring a fillet or two. I'll have to check the ingredients, make sure there's no weird preservatives or anything though...

EvilMel
08/12/2005, 08:25 AM
I can bring Nori and the ziplock bags. Is purple ok? Or should I bring more than one kind of Nori? I have some brown I can bring too. It's supposed to be very nutritious for tangs. Priscilla doesn't like it much so I hide in inbetween other flavors of algae, though she's beginning to like it more and more the less I feed her. hah hah.

seased
08/12/2005, 08:34 AM
I can bring the formula 2 pellets. Do we need some formula 1 or 2 frozen cubes?

seased
08/12/2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah!!! Just passed the 100 post mark!

awcurl
08/12/2005, 07:11 PM
I've got some 50 - 100 micron and some 5 - 50 micron.

LeftCoast
08/12/2005, 08:10 PM
When's the meeting?

easttn
08/12/2005, 11:40 PM
^ ??
Post more, no updates.

RCS
08/13/2005, 10:34 AM
http://easttnreefclub.com/meetings.html

August 20th is listed on the site. 'Tis next Saturday.

SmartWrasse
08/14/2005, 09:05 AM
I'll also bring some golden pearls. I have the smallest size through 200.

llpoolej
08/14/2005, 09:15 AM
Noon sound ok for everyone?? Ahi de gallina and that BBQ I made last time. The ahi is REALLY good. It is peruvian and yummmmmmy. I am a super picky eater and love it. My kids get seconds on it all the time.

Lets eat before we break out fish food though

RCS
08/14/2005, 10:23 AM
I double-checked my orange roughy, and there doesn't appear to be any preservative (aside from good old freezin'). If those will work, I can bring some...how many fillets? According to the site, it says a 1/2 cup? That should really only be about 1 medium-sized filltet. I can bring that!

imsqueak
08/14/2005, 03:56 PM
I'll pick up some mussels or clams (about how much?) and beer.

easttn
08/14/2005, 07:33 PM
RCS - bring a couple
Don - 12 - 12- and 12.

Runner
08/14/2005, 08:31 PM
Noon is perfect. This Saturday is my wife's birthday, so as a present I am bringing both boys (ages 4 and 6) and leaving her alone in the house. Should I bring something to keep them occupied, or will you have that covered, Julie? :)

Also, I will post the map and driving directions to the meeting tomorrow.

Originally posted by llpoolej
I am totally ok with doing this in my kitchen, and I am not sure why I didn't see this before. I may have formula one and two pellets too. I will have to check and see. Were you still planning on this? I can buy the Formula I pellets at Aquarium this week and bring them. I haven't spoken up for bringing anything and this would be an easy thing for me to get.

llpoolej
08/14/2005, 09:14 PM
I have two five year olds that will happily entertain your kids!!! The entire upstairs is for kids only. I try never to go up there. It keeps my blood pressure low :D

Runner
08/14/2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Julie.

The website has been updated with the directions to the meeting.

EvilMel
08/15/2005, 08:30 AM
What food will everyone bring to for us to eat (rather than our fish)?

I'm bringing barBQ sauce and a cobbler or something like that.

TriMax
08/15/2005, 02:06 PM
Don -- Are you bringing 12 mussels and 12 clams or one or the other?

If Don brings both, I can bring 12 oysters. If we need more I will bring more.

What remains on the list?

This "food" is to be frozen, right?

How long will it last in the freezer?

What livestock will I need to buy to eat it. ;)

Eddie

llpoolej
08/15/2005, 03:18 PM
I will give suggestions for human food :)

I am making the BBQ I made last time and a creamy spicy chicken that goes over potatoes.

Ideas...

Baked beans
Macaroni and cheese
chips, dips
anyone want to do the potatoes? Yukon gold type cut into three to four slices and boiled(I can do these though)
cole slaw
desserts
anything else that sounds good :)

imsqueak
08/15/2005, 05:34 PM
I was reminded of a previous work commitment I have for Saturday. I tried to get out of it but my boss said "no way". I wont be back in town till 2 or 3 so at best I could catch the end. I guess I'll have to write this one off.

Can someone take notes for me ;-)

llpoolej
08/15/2005, 05:36 PM
Drop by, you know how long these go on. There will be plenty of food and if you are really late, I will make a to go box

SmartWrasse
08/15/2005, 06:18 PM
I have sent out an e-mail to reef club members. If you would like me to add your e-mail to my spam list, then send me an RC p-mail. :)

Runner
08/15/2005, 06:58 PM
Don, if you want to send your oysters/clams with me, I'll be happy to bring back a portion of the Mush Mix for you (or you can pick it up at the end when you can get over that way).

EvilMel
08/16/2005, 09:15 AM
I think that's totally fair if you can't make it Don. Send your seafood with Scott and he'll get you a portion of the mush.

Eddie: I think this is going to be a food for all kinds of fish and corals. So you can buy whatever livestock you were originally going to buy. As far as how long it keeps...well I keep mine too long I am sure. I suppose it depends on how well you package it.

easttn
08/16/2005, 06:59 PM
So Far:
Food processor - Easttn
Some Cyclop-eeze - Easttn & Fishboy
Amino Acids - Easttn
Phyto Feast - Easttn
Lemon juice - Easttn
Fresh garlic cloves - Easttn
Oyster eggs - Easttn
Nori - EvilMel, 2 types
Golden Pearls - Awcurl, 2 Types 5 - 50, 50-100
Smartwrass - 100 - 200
Raw, fresh shrimp - ???, Heads on if you can find them.
Fresh Live clams - Imsqueak
Fresh Live mussels - Imsqueak
Fresh Oysters - Trimax
Raw, frozen "white" fish - RCS
Selcon - Fishboy42
Formula One pellets - llpoole
Formula Two pellets - Seased
DTs - Fishboy42
Frozen mysis - Fishboy42

Everyone bring a little extra if you can, we'll make a lot and save. I'm currently in Ohio, but I'll see you all Saturday.

If I forgot something please bring it. I'm not doing the people food thing cause I won't be home till late Friday.

If your bringing any of the live or fresh foods, please buy it from a known good fish monger and not until Friday night or Saturday morning on the way to the meeting.

Thanks,
Charles

fry-man
08/16/2005, 07:45 PM
How about squid or cuttle fish? I can get fresh or frozen.

TriMax
08/16/2005, 08:09 PM
I am bringing Don's clams and mussels, and by oysters. He and I will split the cost.

I was reading in a coral book (Aquarium Corals -- Eric Borneman). The author suggested adding vitamins to a food mixture. His suggestion was Selco, Super Selco or other marine vitamin/amino acid supplement. (30 mls for a mixture of 6 shrimp, 12 mussels, 12 clams, and 12 oysters, 1 package of frozen sea urchin, 1 package of frozen fish roe, 225 gm-8oz.- decapsulated artemia nauplii, yum, yum, )

Other suggestions were Powdered Sea Greens/Antioxidants and dried seaweed. I think someone is bringing greens/seaweed though.

Just something I had read. Somebody looking for something to bring, maybe.

Eddie

EvilMel
08/16/2005, 08:22 PM
Matt is bringing Selecon, which is the vitamin stuff of which you speak.

I am bringing dried algae/seaweed which will be broken up into bits, so hopefully that will suffice.

This is pretty exciting and I hope evveryone actually shows up!

RCS
08/16/2005, 08:29 PM
Just say the word and I can bring some decapped brine shrimp cysts as well.

Runner
08/16/2005, 08:52 PM
I thought I was bringing the Formula I pellets since Julie never confirmed or denied their presense in her house. :)

easttn
08/17/2005, 06:22 AM
Bring what you have, we'll use it.

LeftCoast
08/17/2005, 05:11 PM
My dad and I have some frozen salmon filets and smoked salmon that could be brought for people. But if you need some different food or fish food supplies, let us know.

cee
08/17/2005, 05:28 PM
I'll not be able to attend this time. Sorry, and catch y'all in September.

Dave

EvilMel
08/17/2005, 06:22 PM
Hey Zack, bring whatever you have and I am sure it will get thrown in.

If you have some smoked salmon for us to eat then why not bring cream cheese, bagel chips, capers, and the smoked salmon. That would be a great appetizer!

Everybody might want to post what they plan on bringing so we don't have any repeats!

TriMax
08/18/2005, 06:34 AM
You said bring a little more than was planned so I am re-planning on bringing for Don and myself.

18 clams
18 oysters
18 mussells

"Is that too many or not enough or just right?" NO, I am not goldilocks. I am the old guy with the white hair.

If that is too much, seriously, let me know. Or not enough, too.

Eddie

easttn
08/19/2005, 09:13 PM
Its fish mush, as long as its fresh it does not matter. We can thicken or thin as necessary, or for the brave - taste.

Fishboy42
08/20/2005, 12:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about fresh fish, but I'm not sure we have anyone THAT brave!

Fresh clams, oysters, and mussels do have a nice seafood smell though...

EvilMel
08/20/2005, 07:47 AM
I mean...I will eat more sashimi than any of you! hah hah.

But I am not that brave.

llpoolej
08/20/2005, 08:03 AM
You can count me out of eating raw fish ICK.

easttn
08/20/2005, 07:50 PM
Julie,

Thank you very much for allowing us to trash your kitchen. I think the reciepe needs tlc, there was not near enough to go around. Anyone want to help edit the reciepe?

Outstanding food, you really put a lot of effort into the meal. Thanks.

Charles

Runner
08/20/2005, 08:12 PM
I think we had enough prime ingredients. This is some concentrated stuff we have on our hands. Perhaps something that can add more bulk w/o adding pollution?

easttn
08/20/2005, 08:21 PM
DI and some chunk food...cut with a knife.

Edit:

This stuff is very potent, don't feed more than 1/4 tsp every two or three days.

bkv1997
08/20/2005, 09:22 PM
It was very nice meeting all of you.

Going to try and trash up the kitchen in the Apartment before we move into the new house.

I can tell you right now the little lady wouldn't be as open minded about that project as Julie was.

I'm still interested in that frag swap if anyone is just driving up for the day. Let me know.

Thanks again guys and it was nice meeting all of you.
Brandon

RCS
08/20/2005, 09:29 PM
Was definitely fun. Fish and corals seem to like the mix. I think next time we need some more fish/shrimp...the basis for most fish foods. Still good stuff though.

Was nice meeting the people I haven't met before...and I'll definitely be going to the frag swap, so plan away!

llpoolej
08/21/2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks everyone for coming. The food I made is really easy, especially the BBQ. Sorry the chicken was so spicy :) Those are two dishes that are easy and economical to make.

The mess was no big deal. I think everyone cleaned up pretty well by the time I got to it. I was looking for stink and fish guts and didn't find any. All is good

imsqueak
08/21/2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry I missed it. What thing(s) warrent the "potent" label in this mush? I have aways made a mush for my fish but it doesnt incl all the aminos, pearls and other high dollar stuff. Basic pellet, fish, shrimp, nori, clam mix (in order of highest to lowest contents). I'm thinking of thawing some of mine with the new, mixing, and re-freezing it. Maybe equal parts of new & old will cut it enough so I can feed my normal 1tbs cube/day.

TriMax
08/22/2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks to Julie for her hospitality.

Thanks to Charles and his helpers.

Thanks to others who brought other stuff.

During the mixing up time, I mentioned that I was thinking about freezing the food using plastic eggcrate and some of the wax paper--seal a meal material and a cutting board. I think it worked well. I have several little cubes of food - about 3/8 inch cubes - whatever an eggcrate hole dimension is. They popped out of the eggcrate much easier than I thought they might.

I am guessing that it is more food than I need for my empty tank. Ha,Ha!

Eddie

Fishboy42
09/06/2005, 10:18 PM
Ahh, bringing an "old" thread back from the dead...

I just though I would relate my use of the food we made at the meeting.

Don, Fred, Charles, Dave: I think you have it there: As the food we came home with was very potent and had lots of vitamins and supplements in it, but was a rather small volume, I blended and added some bulk protein (shrimp, new zealand mussels, some formula flake that the fish weren't crazy about) as well as some Knox gelatin (dissolved in a bit of warm water) to the mix. I froze it in a sheet and broke it into 1/day squares for all the tanks. The gel keeps the food together until the fish can eat it (since I'm feeding fish and not necessarily the reef, I wanted it to stay together), and eat it they do! All the clowns, tangs, and wrasses are particularly fond of it, and the clowns have continued spawning with this being ~1/3 of their diet now.

EvilMel
09/07/2005, 07:38 AM
That's pretty neat, Matt. Thanks! I just got my food from Art a couple of days ago actually. I will totally blend it with some stuff plus gelatin.