PDA

View Full Version : True percula- Male infertile ??

chico_andrade
07/31/2005, 06:51 PM
Hi all,

I have one couple of true percula clowns that spawns regularly, but the eggs are almost white (opaque) and disapear a few each day, it seems that they are not fertilized. I dont think its just a nutritional matter, because they do receive the same feeding type and amount of many other couples that breeds perfectly.
Maybe I should separate the pair, and find two new males to establish new pairs ??
Chico

Dman
07/31/2005, 10:57 PM
Chico,
Sounds about right. Or at least that's what I would try.:D
No guarantee that the infertile male doesn't become an infertile female. Anyone?
Dman

Rare Angels
08/01/2005, 09:58 AM
Chico,

I can't say for sure but I think it could still be a nutritional thing. I have a pair of true perculas that had been spawning for roughly a year. One day their nest started containing several white eggs, this amount grew and finally the whole nest was junk. I also thought the male was the problem.

Through lots of trial and error I have the nests looking good except for maybe 20 eggs. During this entire time I had a pair of clark's and maroons spawning laying perfect nests and it confused me thinking it wasn't the food.

Several things were changed in there foods so I can't narrow it down to one thing but the addition of fish eggs to their food did seem to make a big difference.

HTH

Dave

Atticus
08/01/2005, 01:01 PM
Food variety could be an issue, water flow could keep him from doing his job, new male syndrome ( everyhting is a syndrome... :D ), 2 females...

chico_andrade
08/01/2005, 01:59 PM
Hi,

The pair started spawning about 3 month ago, first I though the new male stuff, but after 5 spawns I think he´s either not that smart or infertile. I really don´t think it´s nutritional, 7 other pairs of 5 species, eating exactly the same and working perfectly.
As soon as I find 2 small fish I am gona make 2 new pairs.
Chico

Vert20
08/01/2005, 03:10 PM
How much current is in the area where they put their nest? As Atticus mentioned the current may be washing his stuff away...
just a thought...

David M
08/01/2005, 09:00 PM
Ok this is a stretch and I don't know if it applies to fish at all, but have you ever had double nests, two nests laid within a short period of time, or anything like that? I ask because with some birds it's not uncommon for two females to bond & lay, lovebirds got their name for a reason :D

Morgman
08/02/2005, 01:23 AM
I have had this happen to a long time breeding female ocellaris. Here is my question how old is she?That's if you have any idea? She may be past her prime and is washed out. No matter how much healthy, nutritionally balanced food you feed her she is done, including if she is a younger clown.

Try another female and you will see some viable eggs. The hardest part is admiting she is done and not a good breeder.

Best of luck,

Morgman