PDA

View Full Version : Need some input on designing my new tank

DarkXerox
07/28/2005, 11:33 PM
Ok well next year I'll have a decent sized single room in my dorm so I figure that it would be good to get away from my nanocube and move into a real plumbed tank.

I was thinking going with 20G Truvu (either rectangular or hex) but I'll need to figure out how to set up all the drains and give them the specs so they can have it drilled and install an overflow--any ideas would be great.

I want this to be a mostly SPS tank, SCWD for the return, 150-250w halide on top (has to be something that sits on top of the tank on some kind of holder since I can't drill my ceiling), 10ish gallon sump with skimmer, etc.

So any recs on pumps to look for, possible lighting setups, stands, dimensions, or anything would help a ton. Thanks!

RustySnail
07/29/2005, 01:43 AM
If you dont know the layout of your dorm it might help if you asked to view your room before you move into it. This will help you determine what type of tank will work best in the space/furniture you will have.

You might consider a corner tank; pretty space conservative for a reef tank. You could have the overflow built into the back corner and possibly the return plumbing through the overflow wall or through the back sidewalls of the tank (bulkheads/locline).

You could buy or have a canopy made that will hold a single MH lamp or pendant; just put a crossbar or a couple of cables in and hang the pendant from it. As for a sump; be sure that its volume is not so large that it will overflow the tank if there is a clogged overflow or outflow. A rubbermaid tub will work; but using a tub or tank that holds too much water can lead to overflow/spills.

If you are going SPS; plan on having a doser setup for either KW, A/B (Check out Randy's Recipe on the Chem Froum), or both. Also plan on a 'fuge to help with nutrient removal.

Flowrate; shoot for 800-1200gph net. Make sure you get a quiet pump. I have had good luck with Mag-Drives; seems that my Mag18 runs quieter than an Iwaki MD although it is less efficient. The Euro-Reef skimmers run more quitely than the AquaC (although I'm a big fan of AquaC).

HTH...

SCRUZ
07/29/2005, 11:48 AM
are you thinking flat back hex, or an equilateral hex? i had an equilateral hex, although it was a 55g. the tank shape was very cool and looked great, but the most impractical thing about it was that there were a lot of extra sides to have to clean algae off of. it's a lot easier only cleaning 2 or 3 sides, even if the sides are bigger. this is especially an issue on acrylic tanks with rounded corners, b/c each rounded corner is a bit of a pain with the scraper. you can do it and it's not completely awful, it's just more work (enough so that i don't want a hex reef again). however, my tank was a 55g, so a 20g may not be as bad. but when im thinking about system design, i just want something as maintenance friendly as possible, since we already spend so much time doing chores on our tanks.

a small cubish tank is another option you'd still retain a footprint similar to a hex. the coolest thing about my hex was the depth, a cube could give you that. only thing is that you'd have to get a custom or build it yourself. another issue is that if the stand has the same footprint, your sump options are limited too. something to think about. one good thing about a cube is that it's easy to get good water movement, unlike a stretched rectangle.

tld posted this 20g 18x18x14 (thread = http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=637899):

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/files/rock1_220.jpg

DarkXerox
07/29/2005, 11:34 PM
Russ, I am probably going to use that CaCl2 /cooked baking soda method that you were dripping (I have a kent drip doser) since it seems to be a great way to dose cheaply. I think ill not really have to worry about the epsom salts if I get some TechM or something (unless thats the same).

As for a corner tank, this room is going to be the same style I had freshman year, but without a roommate, so I'll have a really large wall to work with, so I think that a rectangle tank would be great.

So 800-1200 gph, I have all utilities covered by tuition so I'll try that mag 18 you're using as a return. I guess I can hook in a SCWD and have two drilled returns. You think I should go with an Aqua C urchin?
SCruz,

My dad's 55G is a flat back hex truvu and I like how it looks, however it is really hard to get the algae like you said (especially with the rounded corners). That squat tank you showed looks really cool, however it looks like it would necessitate the use of a pendant.

Frankly I could fit a 180 gallon tank in this room if I wanted to (and lofted my bed on the other side of the room), but a 20G seems to be a nicer fit.

Ok so thats out of the way then. How bout the overflow, should I go with a center one or use those kind of cone shaped things that poke into the tank through a hole?

As for lighting, I really like this setup from hamilton: http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/images/1335.jpg

1x 250w, 2x 55w PC, fans, the whole works. They have a VHO version too which might be good. This is basically a 2 foot version of the one over my dad's and we have that on little acrylic cubes (risers) which work great.

RustySnail
07/30/2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by DarkXerox
Russ, I am probably going to use that CaCl2 /cooked baking soda method that you were dripping (I have a kent drip doser) since it seems to be a great way to dose cheaply. I think ill not really have to worry about the epsom salts if I get some TechM or something (unless thats the same).

So 800-1200 gph, I have all utilities covered by tuition so I'll try that mag 18 you're using as a return. I guess I can hook in a SCWD and have two drilled returns. You think I should go with an Aqua C urchin?

The dowflake/soda A-B is normally dosed by either pouring small volumes into the sump or by use of a 2-channel peristaltic dosing pump or special drip-doser. ESV markets a drip system for A/B but I have not tried it. The dripper that you saw in my garage was for the limewater that I also drip.

I think a Mag18 might be too much flow for your tank; I'm running one on closed-loop (150g) and it really moves a lot of water. Not sure if a SCWD could handle it; most I have run a SCWD on is an Iwaki 55; and I think it does not like this much waterflow. The first SCWD only lasted a couple of months. They are not alltogether bad units; just have limitations (I think). I recently bought a OceansMotions Squirt to replace the SCWD. Try a Mag 12; I think you will be happy with it. An Urchin or UrchinPro would be a nice choice for a skimmer.

DarkXerox
07/30/2005, 06:01 PM
Ah ok Mag 12 sounds good, thats 1200gph I think.

I have this doser here: http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20020702165636/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_234871.jpg

I assume the A/B can't be mixed beforehand so if I got another of these, I think that could work.

RustySnail
08/01/2005, 05:28 AM
Nope; it will turn to solid if you mix it. Two drip-dosers will work; you should dilute down the A/B so that the drip-doser only adds what the tank needs per-day. Might be difficult to get the drip rate slow enough for a full-strength additive.