PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia Issues...Please Read

droppindeuce
07/27/2005, 08:34 PM
I decided to do a complete levels check tonight since I have just started to add alkalinity to the tank. Long story short. My ammonia is all out of whack. It is reading 1.0-1.5 ppm. It has always been .25 or below. I only have two fish, a blue-green chromis and a sixline, in my 75 gallon tank. Some questions and level information below.

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0
Calcium: 495
Alkalinity: 2.1 meq/L (Hence the reason I am adding Bionic)

1. I know ammonia is somewhat toxic to fish. Are the LPS and SPS corals in there at a very high risk?
2. Do you think the addition of the Bionic could cause this rise?
3. I am guessing that water changes are the only way to help the situation?

Any and all help is welcome...

EvilMel
07/27/2005, 08:41 PM
Well, of course water changes are your best way to get most tank issues under control, but have your corals started looking bad? Did you just randomly test everything?

How much are you feeding the fish?

How deep is your sand bed and how long has it been there?

Also, make sure before you do any large water changes to test your new salt water (like the new stuff you make before you water change). I've heard waaaay too many people lately have an RO system go bad not to instantly think of that.

If the water tests ok, then I'd do a couple of very large water changes. But then again I do large water changes every weekend, so ya know...I'm biased towards that I guess.

As far as 1/2 questions, I'm sorry but I don't have alot of information on those.

droppindeuce
07/27/2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks Mel. Here are some answers to your questions.

...but have your corals started looking bad?
Not yet. That was a preventative question.

Did you just randomly test everything?
I typically test every weekend, but hadn't in a couple of weeks. I just felt it necessary with the addition of the Bionic.

How much are you feeding the fish?
I feed them every other day.

How deep is your sand bed and how long has it been there?
It is a DSB and about 3in deep. Been there for about 1 1/2 years.

Another note: I do check my RO on a regular basis. Always reads as zero ppm.

Runner
07/27/2005, 09:04 PM
What is your ammonia test kit and how old is it? I had one that freaked me out by giving me a false positive, but the LFS measured 0 when I brought them a sample.

cee
07/27/2005, 09:12 PM
Scott could be right on with this one. How long's the tank been setup? Did anything die in there you're not aware of? Both the fish are hardy, and the corals should be OK, because it's either not real or something major has died and the bacteria will take care of it in a day or two (unless the tank's only been setup for a few weeks).

droppindeuce
07/27/2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks Scott and Dave. I am using the cheap old Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand for the ammonia tests. I have had it about two years. I didn't really think it would expire since it was just chemicals. Everything in the tank is accounted for except for one small astrea snail that died over the weekend. I hope you guys are right. Plus my nitrites are reading zero still.

On a side note...Both corals I got from you, Dave, are doing great!!. Good polyp extension. I plan on permenantly attaching them this weekend.:smokin:

EvilMel
07/28/2005, 08:14 AM
I would definately go andeither borrow or buy another test kit if it were me. That's a great suggestion.

RevHtree
07/28/2005, 08:37 AM
Ditto on the test kit....

Unless you poured a bottle of zooplex in there or something, it's probably the test kit...

droppindeuce
07/31/2005, 08:05 PM
Well all I just thought I would update you guys. I went out and bought an ammonia test kit. All is well. The new kit is reading zero!! :thumbsup: What a relief!!

RevHtree
08/01/2005, 08:49 AM
Good to know bud!!

PS. I need to get up to the aquatic den and check it out....