PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 180g

tfifeco
07/26/2005, 11:08 PM
Ok, I haven't been on here in a while. Had an 80g for about 1 1/2 years and then broke it down to prepare ($$ & other things) for the 180g I wanted to get. Been down for about a year and it's been killing me, well I finally got it used and starting to prepare to set it up. I got a really good deal on the Glass Tank std 180g, stand canape and 65g sump (ecosystem style) all for $450.00 but I didn't get the return pump. Which brings me to my first question. Which pump should I go with, the tank has a center internal overflow with 2" drain and 1 or 1 1/4" return (hard to tell on the return) I was looking up the Dolphin pumps or Iwaki's - What would be the best pump to get for around $200 to $250 and how much flow should I go with? I don't plan on doing a closed loop ... at least anytime soon and I plan to have some sort of Reet Scene, with softies some LPS and Reef safe fish(not sure which yet) - I'd be interested in others thoughts on which pump

Thanks
Trey

Entropy
07/26/2005, 11:26 PM
Sequence dart would be my choice. With a 2" drain you are only limited by the overflow wall and how much it can flow. Without a closed loop or powerheads in the tank, you might as well get as much flow out of the return as you can. A Dart should get you about 2500 gph I would think (assuming average head, and a 4 port return setup).

ridetheducati
07/27/2005, 11:53 AM
Be careful. You will have a problem getting that 2" drain to handle 2500gph. Play it safe use something equivalent to a Mag 18 (1800gph) at zero head.

tfifeco
07/30/2005, 02:52 PM
thanks for the replies. How much flow can a 2" drain handle? and if I was to install a closed loop what flow rate should I look at for my return - I realize a lot of this is preference but I haven't run a tank this size so I am not sure what is "Common". If I go with a closed loop should I lower my return flow rate below 1800gph. this is a standard setup with the sump below the tank in the stand ... whatever head preasure you would call that. The stand is 36" and the tank is 24" tall so would that be 3' or 5' of head preasure? As far as the Sequence dart, I was looking at those online ... would they be better than a dolphin?

Thanks
Trey

fishman805
07/30/2005, 04:21 PM
I'm running a Mag2400 on my 150gal. with a double bulkhead overflow box and at a 4' head I believe I'm pushing close to 2000gals/hour and I'm balanced out pretty good .... neither out performs the other....

ridetheducati
07/31/2005, 06:11 PM
Do not forget that every 90 degree turn adds one foot of head. Stockman and Durso overflows slow down flow also.

A closed loop is closed. It does not matter what kind of pump you use. I would say a minimum of 2400gph, and closed loops do not have any head.

fishman805
07/31/2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ridetheducati
Do not forget that every 90 degree turn adds one foot of head. Stockman and Durso overflows slow down flow also.

A closed loop is closed. It does not matter what kind of pump you use. I would say a minimum of 2400gph, and closed loops do not have any head.

WOW ... I did not know that .... I've got several 90's in my plumbing..... I think I may rework my PVC ... Thanks for letting me know that..:thumbsup:

Nuhtty
07/31/2005, 07:56 PM
There is a head loss calculator on RC main page that takes 90 elbows into consideration

fishman805
08/01/2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Nuhtty
There is a head loss calculator on RC main page that takes 90 elbows into consideration

Even better.... Thanks again....

Silencer
08/01/2005, 04:19 PM

This really isn't true. The amount of friction loss that a 90 elbow adds is completely dependent on the size of the pipe and the gph of flow through it. Search the internet for a friction loss chart (here is one for convienence - http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowchart.html) and take a look.

Lets say we have a closed loop flowing 600gph plumbed with 1" lines. Want to know exactly how much head loss you have due to friction with the pipes? The chart shows you. The chart shows that 100ft of 1" pipe flowing at 600gph (10gpm) has 6.02 feet of friction loss. We don't have 100ft of pipe though we have a 1" 90 elbow. At the bottom of the page it lists the most common fittings and their equivilent length in straight pipe. It shows that a 1" 90 elbow is equivilent to 2.25 feet of straight 1" pipe. We already know that 100ft of 1" pipe flowing at 600gph causes 6.02 feet of friction loss so some simple math shows us how much friction loss that elbow has.

(2.25ft / 100ft) * 6.02ft loss = 0.13545ft friction loss for a 1" 90 elbow flowing at 600gph

Also keep in mind that although a closed loop doesn't have head loss due to height (since the input and output water level is the same) it does have friction loss, though as I just pointed out as long as you use the proper size pipe for the flow it will be minimal if not negligable. These charts also make it very easy to figure out exactly what size pipe is appropriate as well, since you can look up a specific GPH and look across the chart to see which size pipe you need to avoid excessive friction loss. An open loop of course will have both head loss from height and friction loss from the plumbing.