PDA

View Full Version : you know you are obsessed.....

reefcrazed
09/25/2000, 03:05 PM
You know you are a reefer if:
1.) you would rather tinker with your tank than tinker with your "significant other".
2.) you are watching Baywatch, on location in Hawaii, and you only notice the corals, and can name all the corals in the shot, and don't even realize that Pam Anderson is wearing nothing but a white bathing suit in very cold water in that same shot.
3.) you willingly spend $12.00/lb. for imported "purple" rock with living things on it that you can't even see without an electron microscope.
4.) you like buying things twice, like a protein skimmer, lighting, live rock, et cetera, with the thought that "for now, this will be good enough `til I get more money".
5.) you have to borrow your friend's pick-up truck to go to the market so that you can fit all those 1 gallon jugs full of distilled water into one car in order to fill up your new 150 gallon tank.
6.) you are late to work because you were up all night draining your 150 gallon tank full of that water from 5.) because you didn't bother to check if that bulkhead was fastened correctly, which it wasn't.
7.) you get a very sharp pain in your wallet whenever you look at your tank.
8.) your ears hurt from your "significant other" yelling at you all the time for buying things that you can't pet, name, train, wear, eat, or even touch, for 50 bucks a pop.
9.) you spend 5 hours looking into your tank so that you can get the 5 second glimpse of that copepod scurrying under the rocks.
10.) you stay up all night wondering what that thing in 9.) was, thinking it was a flea that will eat everything from 8.).
11.) you know what strontium is.
12.) you know what the relationship is between alkalinity (what you used to think was just a type of battery), pH, and calcium.
13.) you have an unexplainable urge to see as many other reef tanks as you can possibly see, even if it means driving for 8 hours to get to them.
14.) you know what the ocean (and fish poop) tastes like from sucking on that hose to get the siphon going so you can do the weekly water change in your tank. *note: this is only with the newer reefers.
15.) you put more fluids into your reef tank in a day, than you put into your car in a year.
16.) you've got a 3 ft.-high stack of vinyl bags, from bringing all those corals home.
17.) you've got an entire drawer-full of tiny rubber bands that came with the bags in 16.), with which you struggled for an hour to get them off after getting your brand new corals home-"these will come in handy someday", you said to yourself at the time.
18.) you make up 10 new cuss words after struggling with 17.) to get them off of 16.) so that you can admire 8.).
19.) you have no idea what Guten Tag means, but you do know the German word for limewater.
20.) you are reading this list. ;)

KASESQ
09/25/2000, 05:04 PM
Do you really do all that stuff every day? Now I feel both obsessed AND guilty. I know I am obsessed because I think about my reefs (3) constantly. Wife? Kids? who are these people?

slojmn
09/25/2000, 07:14 PM
Ain't it the truth :)

Mushroom Boy
09/25/2000, 10:12 PM
21) You seriously considered the relationship consequences that would have occurred by bringing TRA Volume II to the delivery room for the birth of your 2nd child :)

clownkev
09/25/2000, 10:22 PM
You buy another reef tank before you even 2 fish and corals in your previous one.
You have 3 tanks in the 6 months you have been in the hobby.

Aquaman
09/25/2000, 10:45 PM
Your back yard looks like an aquarium graveyard

6-line
09/25/2000, 11:29 PM
. . . When you scour through the stock bins/spare parts shelves at work and through the garage looking for stuff that will update/modify/simplify your reef.

reefland
09/26/2000, 03:24 AM
When you take your TRA II into the delivery room WITHOUT considering consequences!

ReefEze
11/15/2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Aquaman
Your back yard looks like an aquarium graveyard

All it needs is a little rain and Ive got my largest tankyet!

Everything goes out the door....

:D

RE

North Bay 101
11/15/2002, 08:04 PM
Is there any hope for us??

I hope not.. I like the ride.

North Bay

Agu
11/15/2002, 08:26 PM
...when in your circle of friends a yard tank is considered normal. Mainly because the garage/basement is already filled with aquarium stuff.

Agu

SaltwaterSensei
11/15/2002, 08:28 PM
these threads are always fun....

You know you're obsessed when:

You have salt creep on your bicep.

you try and stay home from school so you can set up that new skimmer/lights

you acuatually stay home from school to receive a live stock from an online vendor.

kaotica
11/16/2002, 02:27 AM
u set up a nano tank at work with babies from the big tank so you can look at it and remind yourself what you're going to go home to

wizardgus®
11/16/2002, 04:26 PM
When you credit card monthly statement looks like a photo copy of the RC sponsors page!

Hemmie
11/16/2002, 04:44 PM
LOL!

You tell hubby you "have a headache" and need to go lay on the couch so you don't disturb him. You then sneak out the red flashlight, crawl to the tank, and pray you don't get caught.

You jump when someone comes in the computer room while you're surfing RC, as if you were in the Yahoo sex rooms. Guilt runs your life.

You're 4 weeks behind at work d/t all your RC surfing, and have learned the art of keeping a work related website on your taskbar to bring up quickly when your boss walks in.

Your car automatically turns towards the LFS on PayDay and you don't bother to correct it.

Your tank is the only thying in 4 years that's convinced you to work overtime.

You've bought 600 bottles of Windex this year alone.

You have a permanent rash up to your armpit and the unmistakable smell of fish on your fingers, which can be difficult to explain.

Your co-workers avoid you like the plague. Your only topic of conversation is that new cool Nudi you bought. You just keep talking........

cyclist1
11/16/2002, 06:30 PM
You have an entire pallet of Southdown Sand in your garage, and you won't sell any of it because you want to save it for all of your future tanks.

musicsmaker
11/18/2002, 01:53 AM
You jump when someone comes in the computer room while you're surfing RC, as if you were in the Yahoo sex rooms. Guilt runs your life. ~ You're 4 weeks behind at work d/t all your RC surfing, and have learned the art of keeping a work related website on your taskbar to bring up quickly when your boss walks in. ~ Your car automatically turns towards the LFS on PayDay and you don't bother to correct it. I knew I was not alone. :p