PDA

View Full Version : how does this phosban reactor work

rp marine
07/25/2005, 03:47 PM
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040719150910/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/bigimages/lg_18413_FS26321D.jpg
can some one explaing how this work? i can't see clearly if the part in it.

Chap
07/25/2005, 04:08 PM
A low flow pump that you provide will push water down through the clear tube in the center of the reactor. The water then flows upwards through the sponge filters and the media that you add. There is a second hose attachment at the top of the reactor where the water exits into your tank.

HTH

SeanT
07/25/2005, 04:09 PM
You need to purchase a powerhead (Maxi Jets 900 works well) and some airline tubing.

Put the media on top of the bottom sponge and reassemble.
Attach powerhead to airlinr tubing and attach that tubing to the piece the ENTERS the plastic rod in the middle of the reactor.
That is the input.
The ball valve should be placed between the powerhead and the input to the reactor.
This controls the flow. You don't want to strong a flow as this media is very light and can go everywhere.

Attach another piece of tubing to the other connection (output).

That's it in a nut shell.

hth,
Sean

rp marine
07/25/2005, 04:32 PM
is it made out of acrylic or just hard plastic? the clear rode that is on top of the cap is were the intake of water right? were is the output or is it not visiable ?

rp marine
07/25/2005, 04:48 PM
i think this is how it work but guess u don;t see the output for the water.
http://www.reefland.com/gallery/files/6/0/5/0/untitled_271932_original.jpg

kind reefer
07/25/2005, 04:55 PM
So do these work effectivly in removing Phosphates? Am I better off using Phos-X that comes in a micron bag that can sit on top of my bio-media?

rp marine
07/27/2005, 11:08 AM
don't know new at this

Chrisgriffith25
07/27/2005, 01:59 PM
I run one and love it. Not that I had a phosphate problem in the first place, but did get .03 readings from time to time. Now nothing. The advantage of one of these reactors is that it caused the media to lightly tumble making it much much more effective than say you just placed it in a bag. I run a second with activated carbon in it. Run both off of a maxijet 600. Be sure to use very little flow or else the media will be grounds up and put back in your tank. Also when setting up and every time you change the media run the first couple of gallons into a bucket NOT YOUR TANK bc all the media dust will come out. Just run in a bucket until the water is clear again and you're good to go.