PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Stand?

kabboord
07/24/2005, 10:37 PM
I've recently taught myself (with much thanks, respect, and appreciation to acrylic man's limitless knowledge and assistance on RC) how to do some very simple acrylic work, primarily just to make little accessories. My current project is building some very simple reactors for carbon and a second calcium reactor chamber.
I've really enjoyed learning and making all the stuff and come to realize how versatile and the many varied applications where acrylic works as a medium.

All this thinking got me to the question, "Has anyone built a stand or a significant part of a stand, or constructed the load bearing part out of acrylic" Also, I'm not really interested in nano tanks, but lets say, tanks 55 gallons or more. I just built my DIY stand (pine) so I'm not really looking for advice or comments on building, I was just wondering if anyone out there had any pictures of acrylic stands. So, if you've got a pic of an acrylic stand, post it... I'm sure everyone would find them uber interesting.

Wintermute
07/24/2005, 10:42 PM
Hmm...I don't think acrylic would be a very good stand material. It's strong, but very flexible so an acrylic stand would have to be very well braced to hold up. But if you could manage it, it would be a wicked cool stand! You could even build all kinds of stuff right into the stand so the whole system could essentially be one piece!

speakeraddict
07/24/2005, 10:59 PM
I believe it was Tenecor who used to offer them.

There also used to be a company who sold those cubby hole setups for fish stores and the whole base to it was the sump.

speakeraddict